276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Senlin Ascends: Book One of the Books of Babel

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The characters who aren't antagonists continue to be distinctive, dynamic, and they stand out. The writing is really good, although there was a metaphor or two that wasn't clear because in this setting describing grass as emerald grass could mean really green grass, or emeralds that look like lawns. Thomas Senlin planned a seemingly perfect honeymoon at the magnificent, and world renowned Tower of Babel. Each level of the tower is a Ringdom - cities with different characteristics and unique aspects. Rumour has it that each stage is more beautiful than the previous. What better way to spend a honeymoon than to ascend the tower with his savings, guidebook and beautiful wife? Unfortunately, Senlin loses his partner amongst the massive crowds at the start of the narrative. He aims to find her by entering the tower and rising through the levels. He soon realises that the tower isn't exactly the same place which he adored from afar and which his trusty Everyman's Guide to the Tower of Babel had led him to believe it would be. It is a classic biblical motif indicating, on the one hand, the attitude of human rebellion against the power of God (the tower itself was supposed to encroach on the divine realm with its immensity), and, on the other hand, a reminder that all of mankind’s ‘sky-high’ endeavours are doomed to inevitable failure (through the inability of all men to communicate - the confusion of languages - their common deed is thwarted). Oh, thank you, but I’m not alone.” Tiring of the conversation, Senlin moved to grip the handle of the trunk only to find it moved.

For years I had pondered the mystery behind Adam's disappearance and what the surrounding clues meant. Bancroft wrote an original and immensely satisfying explanation that sated my curiosity. The Edith & Marya conundrum was one of the biggest plot points to the story, and its resolution was one of the most heart-wrenching and ultimately human conclusions I could have asked for. And the story ends just as it began: full of mystery, wonder, excitement, and promise. Senlin and his new wife, Marya, have decided to visit the fabled Tower of Babel for their honeymoon. The vast tower, miles wide and unfathomably tall, is divided into many different levels or "ringdoms", each level controlled by a different force and fulfilling a different function. Reaching the tower, Senlin loses his wife in the crowds and desperately tries to find her. This requires him to begin an ascent of the tower, searching for clues to her whereabouts and learning more about the powers that control it...and learning more about what he is capable of. The Tower of Babel is most famous for the silk fineries and marvelous airships it produces, but visitors will discover other intangible exports. Whimsy, adventure, and romance are the Tower’s real trade. The Fall of Babel is not just a title; it is a state. A state where the quality of the series ends up.

Fantasy Books Of The Year

This book has more action than the first three. I don't think Josiah Bancroft is good at writing action. And I think he is good at writing basically everything that isn't action, so there is going to be a strong negative correlation in this series between quantity of action, and how much I like it. He goes very detailed, and blow by blow, but it just doesn't feel intense, or engaging. I almost wish Bancroft just cut his losses, and decided to just write action like Tolkien did, and just summarize it.

But understanding nothing, or very little of the world, and having no desire to understand more than you already do, well, that invites entitlement. What was a privilege becomes a right. And that, I think, is dangerous.” Today, Marya wore her traveling clothes: a knee-length khaki skirt and plain white blouse with a somewhat eccentric pith helmet covering her rolling auburn hair. She had dyed the helmet red, which Senlin didn’t particularly like, but she’d sold him on the fashion by saying it would make her easier to spot in a crowd. Senlin wore a gray suit of thin corduroy which he felt was too casual, even for traveling, but which she had said was fashionable and a little frolicsome, and wasn’t that the whole point of a honeymoon after all? As Marat's siege engine bores through the Tower, erupting inside ringdoms and leaving chaos in its wake, Senlin can do nothing but observe the mayhem from inside the belly of the beast. Caught in a charade, Senlin desperately tries to sabotage the rampaging Hod King, even as Marat's objective grows increasingly clear. The leader of the zealots is bound for the Sphinx's lair and the unimaginable power it contains.Firstly, he's so relatable. He's that normal, boring guy who suddenly has to face the breakdown of his entire world, hopes, and beliefs, who is suddenly confronted with the harsh reality of the Tower that isn't the wonderful place he's expected it to be - so of course he's overwhelmed and incompetent at the start of it. But still, Tom Senlin goes on, fist like Bilbo Baggins, then with iron determination because it doesn't matter that he's out of his depth: he simply can't leave without finding the elusive Marya. Tower of Babel: The titular tower. There are hints that this is the Tower, albeit in a parallel universe. Josiah Bancroft, please do not read this review. I love your previous books, and I would prefer your memory of my thoughts on your books remains that way; leave it in the state of innocence and happiness just like Senlin before he entered the Tower of Babel. Now, let’s get on with the review. all in all, i think this is a very satisfying ending to a long-awaited conclusion. if you havent already, i highly recommend reading the first book, ‘senlin ascends,’ as its a modern work of wonder. And then there is the minor issue of a non-decisive ending. It can be a good or bad thing, depending on your take on the whole series. Ultimately, the sequels will tell.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment