276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Bogwoppit (A Puffin Book)

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The 103 third parties who use cookies on this service do so for their purposes of displaying and measuring personalized ads, generating audience insights, and developing and improving products. It immediately sold out but disappeared until re-issued in abridged form by Kaye Webb at Puffin Books twenty years later, when it became a best-seller. You didnt have to make excuses for her or pity her like other unwanted children in other stories of this type. THE BOGWOPPIT is a light-hearted, lively story, brilliantly told by Ursula Moray Williams, author of GOBBOLINO (also available in A Puffin Book series).

It seems as though Samantha and her aunt will never agree - until one day Aunt Daisy mysteriously disappears and Samantha plans a big rescue operation! Her classic stories often involved brave creatures who overcome trials and cruelty in the outside world before finding a loving home. Orphan Samantha is sent to live with her aunt, Lady Clandorris, who lives in a thoroughly dilapidated mansion mirroring her own unloved and gloomy life. Aunt Daisy wants to get rid of them all, but Samantha grows very fond of one and can't bear to part with him. We are not responsible for the republishing of the content found on this blog on other Web sites or media without our permission.

When Aunt Lily marries the lodger and goes to America, orphaned Samantha is packed off to her Aunt Daisy, who lives in a grand house at the Park. Luckily, Samantha discovers a furry, blue-eyed creature living in the cellar: a bogwoppit, once believed to be extinct. The way the relationship develops between these two spiky and independent characters, who we can see are lonely and actually need each other, is fun to read and I think all children secretly dream of being able to speak to adults the way Samantha does and getting away with it! She has been abandoned in a decaying old house by her aristocratic explorer husband, fighting the creeping damp and the encroaching bogwoppits and it has made her afraid and bitter.

Bogwoppit is a light-hearted, lively story, brilliantly told by Ursula Moray Williams, author of Gobbolino. In the cellar of Park House, the old mansion where orphaned Samantha has been sent to stay with her disagreeable aunt Daisy, there are hundreds of bogwoppits - believed extinct, up till now. The book feels a bit dated now, A child being left to find somewhere to live whilst her relatives move to America to live, school does nothing just accepts the change.

I won't change my rating since it's based on how much I loved it as a child, but it took me more than half the book to figure out what it was that I saw in it when I read it over 20 years ago. Ursula Moray Williams (19 April 1911 – 17 October 2006) was an English children’s author of nearly 70 books for children.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment