276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Kill Your Friends

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I was immediately drawn to How to kill your best friend because of the title (not that I plan to kill any friend) and the cover. Look at those colors! Gorgeous! Friends' is reputedly an assault on the music industry and all in it - the macheavelian existence of the likes of Stelfox, where absolutely nothing is off limits and there is a reasonably good book here fighting to get out of this morass - but compared to Niven's subsequent and superior novel 'The Amateurs', 'Friends' does not stand up. If you suspected your best friend, the person you were closest to in the whole world, was a murderer, what would you do? Would you confront her? Would you help keep her secret? Or would you begin to feel afraid? Most importantly, why don't you feel safe now that she's dead? From the author of The French Girl comes a novel full of secrets, suspense, and deadly twists. In the years following school, their friendship group, which includes a few male swimmers, have remained close, frequently taking swimming holidays together.

John Niven - Wikipedia John Niven - Wikipedia

Excellent edge-of-your-seat mystery/thriller beginning on an island and a storm coming, so it's a good thing they wait the storm out because it gets really good towards the end. Definitely feels like it walks the line of being a YA novel and an adult novel at some points, creating a drastic tone difference between some chapters. I appreciated the whodunit aspect and returning some forms of the classic formula but the mystery wasn't engaging enough for me to keep a close note of all the clues and suspicions.La storia di un talent scout di una major discografica in crisi mano a mano che i successi si fanno sempre più rari: tra cinismo e feste selvagge, sesso e cocaina, arriva il momento in cui capisce che non basta più stordirsi per resistere in un ambiente pieno di colleghi incompetenti e spietati, ma deve “attivarsi” per eliminare ogni cosa (e persona) che lo ostacola. How to Kill Your Best Friend is the second novel I have read from Lexie Elliott. I absolutely love her writing style.

Kill Your Friends - Wikipedia

Whilst it's quite feasibly perhaps an accurate or exaggerated picture of the music/A&R industry as experienced by Niven for a decade - a world that is hugely irreverent, iconoclastic and imbued through and through with toxic masculinity. It's a world painted here by Niven of nevererending drug and violent sex fuelled existence - filled with, consumed by resentment, hatred and loathing. I LOVED the different methods of killing your best friend put in there between chapters (not that I’ll ever use them,) and I thought that was a really creative idea and the way it connects with the events in the chapter before or after it was really clever as well. Also finding out who was writing it and why they were doing so adds to the mysteriousness of everything. This book is based in Barcelona and although not directly about the Independence movement of Catalan it does feature characters who are heavily into it and also gives ( and does it well ) the general atmosphere and feeling in Barcelona at the momentYou laugh when you know you should not and grimace at his too accurate and too severe descriptions and appraisals of the poor people that Stelfox uses and abuses. This pace of this story is like a SLOW lazy crawl (swimmer’s term) and, and I felt like it took me longer than usual to read this...

9780099592686: Kill Your Friends - AbeBooks - Niven, John

The chapters alternate Georgie and Bronwyn’s POV and each chapter opens with an undisclosed narrator trying to choose between different methods to kill their best friend. After all, killing is easy, the problem is getting away with it. Who is talking? Who is the intended victim? These were my favorite parts and I changed my mind several times about who this unknown narrator could be. It's like when you are in that kind of relationship with a group of people, it can feel like you are closer to them than anyone else in the world. There's an assumption that you know everything about each other, but everyone's keeping secrets, aren't they? Bronwyn seems like domestic, protective, loyal mother, efficient accountant who chose to resume peaceful family life on the contrary of Georgie who has connection issues and she hesitates to put a name to her relationship with Adam.The descriptions of Barcelona life were spot on, tourists rubbing shoulders with drunken separatists, the drugs and the squalor expertly described alongside the glamorous party lifestyles of the vapid and decadent young Influencers who are an inexplicable feature of modern life (to an old fogey like me). I spent a few days there for a conference last year, and so it was fun recognising the place names and street scenes. The plotline about the Catalonian separatist movement was interesting, but not really relevant to the story, apart from to introduce new characters. It's a satire on the music industry of the 1990's and is over the top in its approach. However, I worked in a record store at that time and there is much truth among the invention and exaggeration. This helped make it more credible and entertaining for me.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment