276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Light Between Oceans: The heartrending Sunday Times bestseller and Richard and Judy pick

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

As the couple at the lighthouse are drawn into and increasingly tragic set of consequences, these remote, strange lives are rendered immediate and familiar. It was interesting to read a book that felt the entire way through like there is no chance for a happy ending.

As the years unfolded, their decision would see many lives affected, with an extremely devastating result. He needed a quiet place to gather his thoughts, to calm himself, as he didn’t believe he should have survived the war, when his mates did not. Two weeks after the stillbirth, they are shocked when a dinghy washes up carrying a dead man and a living infant girl.Somewhere in the last third of the book you'll begin to appreciate the mastery in the careful build-up. Maybe it was the writing style: showing not telling, corny people and dialogue, random backstories, one single plotline without much other noise or complexity. The isolation spins its mysterious cocoon, focusing the mind on one place, one time, one rhythm—the turning of the light.

Nobile appealed (oral argument link regarding access and probative copying by Watts starting at 15:00 min mark), [22] and on September 21, 2018, the 2nd US Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the original decisions. We already know she loves children and she wants nothing more than to have a house full of them so it comes as a special tragedy when she miscarries.Essentially The Light between Oceans is a novella that has been fattened up on starch and additives to a 446 page novel. It is during this visit to the mainland when Lucy gets to meet her “grandparents” and is christened — and is also when Isabel and Tom come face to face for the first time with the shattering consequences and profound pain that their decision to keep Lucy has inflicted on others.

Allowing the reader to sympathize with morally ambiguous characters is a difficult task, however, Stedman presents her narrative in such a way that the reader can't help feeling the same inner conflict as Tom and Isabel. Here, the Indian Ocean washed into the Great Southern Ocean and together they stretched like an edgeless carpet below the cliffs. Irrelevant or distracting side plots would have pulled me away from Tom and Isabel's narrative and weakened my investment in their turmoil. After four harrowing years on the Western Front, young Tom Sherbourne takes up the post of lighthouse keeper on remote Janus Rock. Now all thought of turning the baby in to the authorities is out the window, because how the fuck is poor Doormat going to explain the fact that they kept the baby for weeks, gave her a name, breastfed her, didn't notify the authorities right away, and didn't notify the authorities that they found a dead body that might be her father.To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average.

Now there are some redeeming factors to this novel ( I mean it’s not like this is 50 Shades of Gray terrible, I gave it two stars) . Well, not so much the bodies that wash ashore, because that happens just once, and apparently, once is one time too many because that didn't turn out well at all. Though its Grade One hardship rating meant a slightly higher salary, the old hands said it wasn’t worth the money, which was meager all the same. All in all, an excellent, well-written book featuring my favourite part of Australia - the Great South.Isabel names her Lucy, meaning light, and welcomes her into the family, making Tom very ill at ease. Apparently, this is not what Isabel thinks love is, so this makes her the villain of the story in my perspective. You don’t have to agree with me, and you could think that this was the most AMAZING book and your eyes almost exploded from all the awesomeness that traveled through them to reach your brain which leapt in your skull with every sentence you read, and that is fine. Stedman grounds what could be a far-fetched premise, setting the stage beautifully to allow for a heart-wrenching moral dilemma to play out, making evident that “Right and wrong can be like bloody snakes: so tangled up that you can’t tell which is which until you’ve shot ’em both, and then it’s too late.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment