276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Coming to England: An Inspiring True Story Celebrating the Windrush Generation

£6.495£12.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Small ideas can resonate through everything': Poet Steven Camden introduces the books shortlisted for the CLPE Children's Poetry Prize As you open the book, all of the vibrant colours shine at you. The colour drew me in to a different life. This picture book autobiography explores the early life of Floella Benjamin, celebrated writer, actress and television presenter. It begins in her childhood home of Trinidad and charts her move to England in 1960 as part of the Windrush generation.

Within the North Atlantic Ocean, tropical or subtropical cyclones are named by the National Hurricane Centre when they are judged to have intensified into a tropical storm with winds of at least 65 km/h, (40 mph). The World Meteorological Organisation maintains six alphabetical lists of names which alternate between masculine and feminine and are used on a six-year cycle. Significant tropical cyclones have their names retired from the lists, with a replacement name selected at the next World Meteorological Organisation (WMO) meeting. Why are there no storms for Q, U, X, Y and Z? To ensure we are in line with the US National Hurricane Centre naming conventions, we are not going to include names which begin with the letters Q, U, X, Y and Z. This will maintain consistency for official storm naming in the North Atlantic. How are storm names chosen? I liked reading about your journey to England, I went on a ferry to France. It lasted for a night, not fifteen days! From 24 February, there is no legal requirement to self-isolate if you get a positive day 2 test result.Which of the characters (if any) you did not like. Why?I liked all the characters, especially Floella’s father.

The author of this inspirational book is a girl who experienced the long journey. She tells her autobiography with the illustrator, Diane Ewen. There aren’t many words but the words and the pictures work together powerfully. Owl or Pussycat? How Michael Morpurgo and Polly Dunbar find their inspiration in childhood memories I recommend this picture book to everyone. The vivid illustrations work so well with the writing. You can tell that Floella and Diane Ewen, the illustrator, worked closely together to recreate Floella’s world, making me feel as though I was there with her. Floella Benjamin has rewritten her groundbreaking autobiography Coming to England, turning it into a picture book with beautiful illustrations by Diane Ewen. The illustrations and descriptions are really memorable. My recommendation would be for all infants and juniors. KS3 might enjoy it too!Floella’s illustrator, Diane Ewen, shades the differences between Trinidad and London, showing Floella’s inner life and making things visual for her readers. There are lots of new things for everyone to learn about: Trinidad, the House of Lords and the British Empire. As her dad wanted to be a Jazz musician, I learnt about the music side of things too! At the time, Floella was a child in Trinidad, everybody there believed life in England was great. Now, many people in England would love to live on a tropical island! In the book, Floella always looked confident, but was she really?

Follow ten-year-old Floella as she and her family set sail from the Caribbean to a new life in London. Alone on a huge ship for two weeks, then tumbled into a cold and unfriendly London, coming to England wasn't at all what Floella had expected . . . What will her new school be like? Will she meet the Queen? Would you recommend it to other children?Yes. Floella was bullied by her classmates but later she became friends with them.

Was the plot exciting, thought-provoking, serious or light-hearted (or any mixture of these)?Exciting. Not only did Floella learnt about England, I did too!! If you do not know about Floella Benjamin, here is a great way to meet her. By reading her book, Coming to England, you really get to know her large family.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment