276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Dear Zoo: Lift the Flaps

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Dear Zoo” was written as a lift-the-flap board book in 1982, by the Scottish author, Rod Campbell. It is his most famous work, and thirty-five years later, it is still tremendously popular among the under fives in Great Britain, and has been translated into more than a dozen different languages.

From board books to fiction, take a look at these fantastic zoo books for kids! Perfect for learning about animals and a visit to the zoo. However the Dear Zoo: Noisy book is well nigh perfect. It includes the fun element of flaps, teaches both the names of the animals and how to identify them. It invites questions such as: “How big is the crate?” and “What sort of animal might fit inside there?” It uses language with simple repetition, but also creatively. It has clear, attractive and humorous line drawings in bold colours. Something I do admire is it's comment on consumerism. It's décor resembling a bar-code and it being a commercial item. I think that that is one thing that it truly embodies and imbibes throughout.It's comment on people may seem too harsh, and on animals it is also too harsh and humanizing, critical and unjust, and though I resist it - I also ask, is it really as extreme as it's first impression?

But this book has a delightful extra feature. It is a “noisy” book! And I can assure you (because I’ve done this myself) that if you accidentally sit on it, you will find that it might trumpet at you, or chatter like a monkey, or even (and this is a bit scary if you’re not expecting it!) even hiss like a snake! The Capital Mysteries are a great series all around for kids starting early chapter books. In the Capital Mysteries #9: A Thief at the National Zoo, the kids have to solve the mystery when the Tiger’s Eye jewel is stolen during a zoo event! I love this book because it is different. I think the illustrations are terrific. They convey a mixture of emotions: funny, sad, silly, angry, gloomy. The "laughing daddy face" is very realistically "ugly" with big nostrils and round double-chin. The crouching orang-utan was full of unspoken emotions even though we couldn't see its face. The gorilla painting is purely beautiful. My Visit to the Zoo was written and illustrated by Aliki. This book follows two young kids as they visit the zoo and learn about all kinds of animals. The descriptive text shares lots of fun information about the animals, and additional facts are hidden throughout the book as well. The illustrations are lush and realistic, showing lots of details about the beautiful animals. Zoo Zen: A Yoga Story for Kids was written by Kristen Fischer and illustrated by Susi Schaefer. This sweet yoga story follows a little girl named Lyla as she learns new yoga poses from her zoo animal friends. The illustrations are striking, and offer helpful tips for kids to try the poses.I hope you enjoyed this list of zoo animal books. Do you have any favorite zoo books to add to our list? We all know that it’s not possible to pet most of the animals at the zoo, so this book introduces younger children to what they might feel like if they were able to get up close. Fun for ages 1 – 4 years. We can’t wait to head out to spend some time with our local polar bears, giraffes and monkeys this year.

Eloise Visits the Zoo (Eloise Ready-to-Read) is perfect for those early readers! Follow along as Eloise & Nanny visit some of their favorite animals and see what activities they enjoy doing at the zoo. This picture book often makes the Banned and Challenged book list each year. It’s based on a true zoo story:

Toys

The book mostly seems to be a commentary of a normal family going to the zoo and shows no overtly obvious life lessons or guidance other than the comparisons of the characters in the story to the animals in the zoo. This is recognized by the protagonist when he dreams of swapping places with the animals in the zoo and he ponders about the reams of animals. This could instigate curiosity and is a good way to see things from another point of view. If I Ran the Zoo (Classic Seuss) by Dr. Seuss is a classic zoo book! What kid wouldn’t want to imagine all the wonderful things they would do if they were asked to be in charge of the zoo for a day 🙂

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment