276°
Posted 20 hours ago

NOMADIC FURNITURE-PA

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

With its emphasis on the field of furniture design, the exhibition NOMADIC FURNITURE 3.0. New Liberated Living? examines this movement situated on the threshold between the subcultural and the mainstream including a look at its historical context: as early as the first half of the 20th century, home-built furniture came to be regarded as a suitable approach for socially conscious and (since the late 1960s) ecologically sustainable design.

Over the past decade, the new opportunities of communication and participation represented by the Internet and Web 2.0 have taken DIY-cultural hype to a renewed feverpitch. DIY portals, communities, and blogs are booming, and designers, programmers, constructors of machines, and users are busy developing new Internet-capable modalities of designing and producing furniture and furnishing items. The principle motifs of the current DIY movement are an intense preoccupation with historical models and prototypes as well as the search for furniture that is low-cost and formally pleasing, as numerous international examples in this exhibition serve to document. Alongside numerous designs that can be made from wood using simple tools—such as the MAK-Table by the Italian group Recession Design—a major share of this young and flexible mode of home décor consists of objects fashioned from massproduced, semi-finished wooden elements that can be found in any hardware store. I was hoping that Nomadic Furniture would have more creative ideas in this same vein: cheap, attractive, and highly mobile options for someone with some woodworking skill and an eye for design. While such ideas definitely exist in this book (I gave it four stars, after all), they were in my opinion sparsely distributed. For those adventurers out there who spend a lot of time conquering terrains and who want to reward themselves with a seat overlooking some breathtaking scenery, the Nomadic Furniture series from Jorge Penadés will be right up your street and we here at The Coolector are definitely impressed with the innovation on show from the Spanish designer.

Follow:

Weekly updates on the latest design and architecture vacancies advertised on Dezeen Jobs. Plus occasional news. Dezeen Awards Value in being able to use the phrase "retro-industrial chic" antecedent to banging some half-inbred North Texas hussy on my kitchen floor: Over the past decade, the new opportunities of communication and participation represented by the Internet and Web 2.0 have taken DIY-cultural hype to a renewed fever-pitch. DIY portals, communities, and blogs are booming, and designers, programmers, constructors of machines, and users are busy developing new Internet-capable modalities of designing and producing furniture and furnishing items. Most of the projects don't include specific instructions, tools, specifications, measurements, or anything else that would hinder the creator. They are ideas, not entirely hatched or ready to be executed, but I feel like they are a jumping off point for a better world. While I love drooling over fancy furniture, vintage and designer and whathaveyou, there is something magical in something you make with your own hands and then serve dinner on, store your records in, or sleep on. I'm not the most handy person, so I probably won't make any of these projects, but it gives me ideas as I help design and execute various custom furniture projects around the house. The cables will be passing through the seams in the desktop and attaching to an eye-screw at each end. The top two will be screwed into the top Horizontal and the bottom two will be mounted to the underside of the main desktop piece.

If vaporwave is your thing this is your furniture manual: Designing Furniture : From Concept to shop Drawing. Most woodworking instruction has an unintentional, high 1980s postmodernist vibe. As a perpetual contrarian I’m waiting for the big postmodern design revival. Embrace the glitch! It turns out I’m not the only nerd obsessed with dated DIY furniture manuals. In compiling this list I came across a bibliography by designer Sam Winks that included many of the books I own or have digital copies of and many more that I’ve never seen before. You can read his post and bibliography here. In addition to furniture manuals, Winks has a bunch of DIY home building books that I haven’t included in this list. He refers to his collection of books as “The Self Determination Library.” NOMADIC FURNITURE 3.0 offers a comprehensive overview of contemporary DIY furniture culture while using numerous historical references and examples to also present a clear picture of the developmental history of the DIY movement from its nascence in the early 20th century to the present Web 2.0 culture.urn:lcp:nomadicfurniture00henn:epub:37ebe5bf-ecad-4033-b9e9-4ee1adef825f Extramarc University of Alberta Libraries Foldoutcount 0 Identifier nomadicfurniture00henn Identifier-ark ark:/13960/t2892fd3w Isbn 039470228X Ocr tesseract 5.2.0-1-gc42a Ocr_detected_lang en Ocr_detected_lang_conf 1.0000 Ocr_detected_script Cyrillic Ocr_detected_script_conf 0.7451 Ocr_module_version 0.0.17 Ocr_parameters -l eng Openlibrary OL5284690M Openlibrary_edition The 1x4s will be used to make the frame of the desk that mounts to the wall. I used the handheld circular saw for all of these cuts, but a miter saw would have helped immensely (which is why I asked for one for Christmas). The 1970s was a golden era for DIY furniture manuals. Two of my favorites are Nomadic Furniture, and Nomadic Furniture 2 by designers Victor Papanek and James Hennessy. Nomadic Furniture . The MAK Museum in Vienna did an exhibition of Papanek and Hennessy’s work and put out a catalog called Nomadic furniture 3.0. You can watch a 2013 lecture James Hennessy did about his work on the YouTubes. News about our Dezeen Awards China programme, including entry deadlines and announcements. Plus occasional updates.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment