276°
Posted 20 hours ago

A Cast-Iron Will

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

We want our comments to be a lively and valuable part of our community - a place where readers can debate and engage with the most important local issues. The ability to comment on our stories is a privilege, not a right, however, and that privilege may be withdrawn if it is abused or misused. Sheila Dibnah was in the audience on Thursday to see the curtain go up on The Demolition Man at Bolton’s Octagon Theatre.

Sheila Dibnah - 2QT Sheila Dibnah - 2QT

I thought there would be more about Fred’s whole life story, rather than just the last few years. It was very good, though.” Mrs Dibnah said: “Fred had a certain charisma and Colin managed to put that across. It was a little bit scary at times because he was so good at portraying Fred’s mannerisms and his character. Keith Ormrod, aged 67, of Heaton, said: “Colin was very good as Fred. He has the same jaw and really looked like him.After a successful stage career that took her all over the world, she met Fred Dibnah in 1996 and married him two years later. For the next eight years, Sheila worked with Fred as his business and publicity manager and accompanied him across the country on his public appearances. Following his diagnosis with cancer, she nursed him almost to the time of his death in 2004. According to the district judge who heard the case in 2009, it would be ten years until another reconciliation, after a chance meeting at the shops. But this broke down on Melita’s 60th birthday in June 1994. In 1999, the women tried again after another awkward encounter, this time between Melita and Nicholas at the dentist’s. Melita demanded, and received, a written letter of apology from her daughter, but the rift between them was too wide. Besides, Melita was now unhappy that her fifth grandchild had been named after Nicholas’s mother, who she didn’t like either. This time she cut Heather off for good. The production also proved popular with Alf Molyneux, a friend of Fred’s who travelled around the country with him on a traction engine.

Disinheritance and the law: why you can’t leave your money to whoever Disinheritance and the law: why you can’t leave your money to

Leon Powsney, who has turned Fred’s home in Radcliffe Road, The Haulgh, into a heritage centre, said: “It was amazing and very emotional. These adverts enable local businesses to get in front of their target audience – the local community. It did not last. In March 1984, when things were still very strained between them, Melita took the ultimate sanction available to a parent: she formally disinherited Heather and wrote her out of her will. Things soon got so bad that on 26 May 1984, Melita wrote in her diary about a phone conversation with Nicholas: “had a call from the village idiot at **** to say he was coming out to put a rope around my throat and H told me to F off.” It was like a rollercoaster of emotions. I am so pleased with it. It is a tender and very accurate portrayal of a brilliant man. They have done a fantastic job.She had to learn how to do my accent, though. I never thought I would have to give someone elocution lessons.” Professor Sarah Harper is the director of the Oxford Institute of Population Ageing – a rather solemn reference to the happy fact that people are living longer, and in better health, than ever before. (In fact, medical knowledge may be the greatest legacy we have all inherited from our ancestors.) “There’s a very traditional generational contract, which is based on support and care in older age,” Harper says. “That means an adult generation cares for young people, then the young people grow up and they care for their older parents. We are now moving into an adapted generational contract, which means that older people have more responsibility for themselves than in the past. They’ve had fewer children [to provide for them later] and they live longer, so they have a longer time, potentially, in frailty. And that means that they won’t be leaving [inheritances] for their children in the way that they’re used to.”

Widow Sheila’s delight as life with Fred turns into a drama Widow Sheila’s delight as life with Fred turns into a drama

Whilst not being the outcome that either they or their father would have wanted, the five children hope that the sale will prove successful and bring a final closure to what has been a very difficult period in their lives.” Sheila Dibnah was born in Bolton. As a child – and much to her mother’s despair – she was more interested in toy cars, spanners and dirty grid-lids than the more traditional girl’s pursuits. But due to an ongoing dispute with Mr Dibnah’s widow, Sheila, whom he married in 1998, the will — which was read in 2007 — has still not been settled. Is this right? Or fair? The UK, and for that matter the US, is an unusual country in giving as much freedom as it does to people making wills. For instance, in most of Europe and much of the rest of the world, a principle of “forced heirship” compels a portion of every estate, often half, to be distributed equally among the deceased’s close relatives. If you think your child does not deserve a share, tough. They get it anyway. A mild, complicated form of forced heirship is basically what the Ilott case introduces here. And it may not look like it, but it is part of how Britain as a whole is gradually waking up to some tough new truths about the surprising decline of inheritance, and where families in this century are going, both rich and poor. Mrs Dibnah, who tours the country speaking about her late husband’s work, said she was “delighted” that the saga was coming to a close.

Fiona Sanderson, aged 41, of Horwich, said: “I really enjoyed the show. The man who played Fred was very good. His accent and mannerisms were fantastic. The set was very good too.”

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment