276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Little Red

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The simple combination of red, black and white in the illustrations is incredibly effective and makes this book a joy to look at, as much as to read. At the climax, the author, Bethan Woollvin, illustrates a full two- page spread focusing on Little Red’s eyes. It was a startlingly confident debut which she followed with an equally striking and feminist take on Rapunzel, with not a handsome prince in sight, followed by her twist on Hansel and Gretel.

Bethan Woollvin : - World illustration Awards - The AOI Bethan Woollvin : - World illustration Awards - The AOI

The general arc of the Red Riding Hood story is preserved here, but Red is presented as one independent and resourceful young lass. In this defiant interpretation of the traditional tale, the cheeky, brave little girl seizes control of her own story (and the wolf gets rather more than he bargained for). The last page of the book shows the best part with the girl with a devilish smile and wearing wolf fur. Created by the winner of the Macmillan Prize for Illustration, this is an impressive debut picture book from an exciting new talent. Simply told, this RRH reselling stands out because of its sparse colours and understated text: I've read it daily for three days now and find something new to ponder each time.We understand that not everyone can donate right now, but if you can afford to contribute, we promise it will be put to good use. They set up ‘The Belch Inn’ in class – a place that sells ginger beer, just like the one in the story, Little Red. Printed using rich pantone colours, the graphic illustrations in Little Red offer a bold, visually arresting interpretation of the classic Little Red Riding Hood story, by Bethan Woollvin, the winner of The Macmillan Prize for Illustration. Little Red is bursting with historical 18th-Century English detail and has a strong female protagonist. Printed using rich pantone colours, the graphic illustrations in Little Red offer a bold, visually arresting interpretation of the classic story by Bethan Woollvin, the winner of The Macmillan Prize for Illustration 2014.

Little Red: A Rebel Fairytale eBook : Woollvin, Bethan Little Red: A Rebel Fairytale eBook : Woollvin, Bethan

LITTLE RED is a simple telling of the Little Red Riding Hood tale with accompanying red, white, and black illustrations. She strips the story down to basics, with a short text and boldly minimal illustrations, in black, red and grey. We build and maintain all our own systems, but we don’t charge for access, sell user information, or run ads. He steals the little boy's red coat and hurries to the cottage to gobble up Little Red s shortsighted grandmother. One thing that has stuck with me since working on Little Red, is my understanding of the relationship between text and image, and how important it is in storytelling.Join our community to get personalised book suggestions, extracts straight to your inbox, 10% off RRPs, and to change children’s lives.

Little Red by Bethan Woollvin - Pan Macmillan

The texts do not explain the story a lot, but the illustrations show many details which help readers understand the whole story. She graduated from Anglia Ruskin University with a First Class Degree in Illustration in 2015 and now lives in Sheffield.Quite a few people in our class decided to give our brief a bit more structure by taking the opportunity to base it around a live brief or a competition. I won't spoil the ending but let's just say Little Red wraps it up nicely (and warmly) and it has my three year old son thrilled at every read, begging for more. This is a very thoughtful and insightful story and I liked this ending better than the traditional tale. Bethan Woollvin won The Macmillan Prize for Illustration in 2014 for her classy, bold interpretation of Little Red Riding Hood.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment