276°
Posted 20 hours ago

When We Were Very Young (Winnie-the-Pooh - Classic Editions)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

When We Were Young by A. A. Milne is composed of endearing 44 poems for children. Some of these poems I thought I heard when I was a young boy in the Pacific island. But at that time, I neither had knowledge of who A. A. Milne was nor I did have any interest on English poems. What I and my friends were singing were local poems like the very funny ”Tong-tong-tong paketong-ketong/ Alimango sa dagat…” or the funnier ”Lumakad sya sa tubig, ang paa ay nabasa… Nguni’t ang kanyang *beep-beep* ay hindi nababasa” or the one where you have to go inside the circle and dance ”Bubuka ang bulaklak…” or when we grew a bit older, the double-meaning ”Si Haring Solomon, may alagang pagong/ May biyak sa likod parang pinalakol…” The nation’s favourite teddy bear has been delighting generations of children for over 95 years. Milne’s classic children’s stories – featuring Piglet, Eeyore, Christopher Robin and, of course, Pooh himself – are gently humorous while teaching lessons about friendship and kindness.

My Mum recently passed away. This is a poem she learnt from her Mum, she used to sing to me and I know she was teaching it to my niece. I now have the words so that I can keep the memory and the tradition. Makes me cry, but with happiness. I've been reading this book ever since my older sister Di and I discovered it in our Nana's bookcase in the early 1950's.We eventually knew just about every poem off by heart, not because we set out to achieve this noble task but merely because we just read the poems over and over and over again, delighting in their rhythms and rhymes and subjects.I wasn't a huge fan of the poems, actually, so that really made the reading a bit tough to enjoy. I also wasn't completely enamored with the illustrations. They were well done, don't get me wrong, they just weren't my style or something that really appealed to me. Infamous author and illustrator Rosemary Wells has worked her imagination and magic to create up-dated illustrations that marry with these timeless poems beautifully. She is noted for her Max and Ruby series and Mother Goose illustrations that the modern-day child will be familiar with. Premise/plot: This new book is not a reprint of the whole collection of poems originally published as When We Were Very Young. The original collection first published in 1924, had over forty poems. (If and only if I counted correctly 43???) This new picture book newly illustrated by Rosemary Wells (THE Rosemary Wells!!!) has a fraction of the poems. It has twelve poems. This looks like a terrific book for young children. They will enjoy the rhythm of the poems and the lively illustrations.

This book #3 in the Pooh series is a collection of poems. The poems are silly and don’t really go together. The author, A.A. Milne states in the introduction that these poems came to him while on walks with Christopher Robin. While I enjoyed most of them, and love others dearly, a few didn't hold my interest and were rather unimpressive. What a delightful little poetry book! I came across this by chance in the school’s old library a few days ago. I grew up with Winnie The Pooh, though I don’t see Disney rerunning any of the old episodes except only the occasional full length movie, it’s sad really. He married Dorothy "Daphne" de Sélincourt in 1913, and their only son, Christopher Robin Milne, was born in 1920. In 1925, A. A. Milne bought a country home, Cotchford Farm, in Hartfield, East Sussex. During World War II, A. A. Milne was Captain of the Home Guard in Hartfield & Forest Row, insisting on being plain 'Mr. Milne' to the members of his platoon. He retired to the farm after a stroke and brain surgery in 1952 left him an invalid and by August 1953 "he seemed very old and disenchanted".Reading this, I remember years ago when I would plop my butt down on the shaggy carpet in front of the television at eight in the morning to see what they were up to, the Heffalumps were out then. In that particular corner of my memory it’s always sunny and airy and a little gusty. BTW the real Christopher Robin was embarassed in later years by the constant reference to this poem by his school "friends" and acquaintances. I've never read any Winnie-the-Pooh books but am extremely aware of what it's about. These are poems from the same author and they are extremely hit-and-miss, but those that hit are utterly wonderful.

A darkly funny gift book based on Roald Dahl's beloved story The Enormous Crocodile, featuring art by Quentin Blake. Milne also published poetry for adults, including Behind the Lines (1940) and The Norman Church (1948). He wrote three nonfiction books on war and pacifism, Peace with Honour (1934), War with Honour (1940), and War Aims Unlimited (1941), as well as the autobiographies When I Was Very Young (1930) and It’s Too Late Now: The Autobiography of a Writer (1939), and the essay collection Year In, Year Out (1952). I’m sure for many this is the perfect blend of nostalgia, childhood dreams, and hope. For me, it was just average. The content was too simple at times and seemed alarmingly outdated. I craved the original magic of the Hundred Acre Wood! THE CHRISTOPHER ROBIN STORY BOOK from When We Were Very Young; Now We Are Six; Winnie- The - Pooh; The House At Pooh CornerAlan Alexander Milne (pronounced /ˈmɪln/) was an English author, best known for his books about the teddy bear Winnie-the-Pooh and for various children's poems. I can see that many people loved this, but I wonder if it is adults rating with nostalgia? Maybe kids do like this still, we are all different. There were only a few stories in here that focused on Pooh and a few on Christopher Robin and the rest were on other things. There isn't really anything to focus on that we know. It's a simple poem after simple poem. A sweet collection of A.A. Milne's poetry (of Winnie the Pooh fame) complemented by Rosemary Wells illustrations. As always, Wells' illustrations delight and capture the whimsical nature of the poems. Her animals and beloved, and the setting of London a fun addition for parents reading to their small children. Well either a tail is there or it isn’t there. You can’t make a mistake about it, and yours isn’t there!”

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment