276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Sakura Pigma Micron fineliner Set | 7 Sizes + 1 Pigma Micron PN for Free, Black (POXSDK8S)

£6.715£13.43Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The Staedtler Pigment Liner is winning here, with 11 different nib sizes available. It comes in a broad 1.2 nib as well as an excellent selection of smaller sizes. The Uni-Pin and Pigma Micron Fineliners have the smallest nib size at 0.03. It gives you good precision, but you do have to be careful not to press too hard as it is very delicate. I’ve found the 0.1 nib size holds up much better over time. Both inks produced similar results for this test. All the fineliners resisted smudging quite well apart from the Stabilo Point 88 Fineliner. Again, with it being water-based, this was expected. I did notice some small smudging from the Winsor & Newton Fineliner when used with the Drawing Inks, especially on cross hatched marks, but it performed fine with the Acrylic Inks. I also tested the fineliners on top of the ink once dry. All pens worked well, but the Stabilo Point 88 seemed much more faded. It has been a great experience looking at all these fineliner pens in such detail. My favourite is still the Uni-Pin Fineliner, but I am a creature of habit. It just seems to be the best value for money, comes in a great range of nib sizes, has a decent colour selection for sketching and the nib is very hard-wearing. The pigment ink is waterproof and relatively smudge proof, but not great for Watercolours. In terms of papers, I’m really pleased with the flexibility of the Stillman & Birn across Micron and dip pen, and even the Promarker.

The other issue with Promarkers which becomes apparent on some papers is the issue of feathering. As above, there was the least feathering on the RENDR paper, the second-most successful being the Stillman & Birn which (as described in the paper section above) behaved almost like a bristol board with some pens, bristol board usually being appropriate for solvent markers. There was also reduced feathering on the Touch Twin marker pad – though of course the thinness of this paper means there’s considerable bleed-through which impacts regularly on the sheet behind. Nevertheless, the pure joy of the Micron ink flow and drawing experience means that I will certainly be using it in future for any work where I need a less controlled effect and have been using them pretty much non-stop since conducting this test, just with a 0.05 Uni Pin or Rotring for those extra-light touches, texture or cross-hatching. Feathering – The fine lines that seep out from the drawn ink line on some papers. (Some products call this ‘bleed’ so to reduce feathering, you may want to look for ‘bleed-proof’ papers. This is not to be confused with bleed-through, described below).Fineliners are perfect for those moments when you need precision and clarity in your colour drawings, illustrations, charts and graphs. They are also increasingly being used for writing too, with their unique, smooth feel. This Staedtler Triplus fineliner pen set features 36 assorted colors, metal-clad tips, and approximately 0.33mm nibs. These pens are perfect for creative projects like drawing, calligraphy, art journaling, card making, and writing. I enjoy fineliner pens for drawing just as much as any sketch-loving hobbyist. However, being unable to undo or erase occasional mistakes as you would with pencils can sometimes be frustrating.

I often work in dip pen as I enjoy the unpredictability and freedom of this medium compared with the more controlled Uni Pin-type disposable drawing pens. Though of course, dip pens are harder to use out in the field.

Pens & Markers

Smoother papers (Strathmore Bristol Smooth, Stillman & Birn) are suitable for a range of ink drawing pens and usually also for solvent-based pens, though require significantly longer drying times with non-solvent pens due to the surface coating. The colors in this set are also superior quality, with tones ranging from deep, dark colors to vibrant neon hues. Know that these art pens may bleed a little, depending on the surface. I advise testing them on different types of paper before applying them to your final project. Some papers can surprise you – such as the Stillman & Birn Sketchbook – which can feel like a traditional mid-smooth sketchbook, but behave more like a super smooth Bristol Board with ink pens and even Promarkers. It has the best of graininess and the best of smoothness which makes it very versatile. Flow – A subjective criteria usually referring to the speed and smoothness of ink delivery. Used most often in relation to consistency of line.

The thing about Sakura fineliner pens is that they’re incredibly versatile and offer consistent results across a range of creative hobbies, whether scrapbooking, illustrating, manga art, note-taking, or writing.

Penorama newsletter

The acrylic ink was of course smudge-proof and waterproof within 30 seconds across all papers with no visible feathering… with one major exception… For this test we are looking at how well the fineliners work with inks. I am using two types of ink for this test. The first test is the fineliners with Winsor & Newton Drawing Inks. This is a shellac dye-based ink. I am using canary yellow ink in this experiment. Choosing the right fineliner for you depends on what size tip you need. They are made from fine felt tips, ranging from 0.03mm to 0.8mm. If you need a fine line for art and drawing, it's helpful to have a selection of different nib sizes. This will give you greater control and flexibility over your creations. But if you want a fineliner for writing, a 0.3mm medium tip might be best so your writing isn't too fine. If you’re someone who appreciates making notes, diagrams, and charts on paper as opposed to on screens, then you’ll really value the thin precision that the nib of a fineliner will give to these.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment