276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Yours Cheerfully (The Emmy Lake Chronicles, 2)

£7.495£14.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

My Year in Nonfiction 2023 #NonficNov #NonfictionNovember #NonfictionBookParty #bookblogger #blogger October 31, 2023 Guest, Katy (18 April 2018). "Dear Mrs Bird by AJ Pearce review – a winning wartime romp". The Guardian . Retrieved 5 October 2021. Jill Mansell, author of Promise Me [A] charming, comforting book, which never shies away from the horrors and the losses of the war. This reading group guide for Yours Cheerfully includes an introduction, discussion questions, and ideas for enhancing your book club. The suggested questions are intended to help your reading group find new and interesting angles and topics for your discussion. We hope that these ideas will enrich your conversation and increase your enjoyment of the book. AJ Pearce has created a great boo-hiss villainess in Mrs Porter for her third Emmy Lake book . . . This is at heart a cosy, jolly diversion in the best Joyce Grenfell tradition.

Yours Cheerfully is a testament to the strength of women and the importance of lifting each other up, even in the most challenging times.Meeting Anne gives Emmy a new perspective on women war workers, particularly factory workers. Why do you think Emmy was surprised by the experiences, challenges, and circumstances of the women working at Chandlers? As Emmy grapples with these questions, and with the turn of events in her personal life, she has to dig deep and find the strength to be true to her own beliefs but also be mindful of the chaos descending on the world around her. AJ Pearce is the author of the Sunday Times bestselling Dear Mrs Bird. She was born in Hampshire, UK, and studied at the University of Sussex and Northwestern University in the USA

In 1941, Britain had been at war for two years and London had just survived the Blitz—a brutal series of German air raids that dropped more than 12,000 metric tons of bombs from September 1940 to May 1941, killing nearly 30,000 civilians. What do you imagine Londoners were feeling and thinking at this time? Following the departure of the formidable Editor, Henrietta Bird, from Woman’s Friend magazine, things are looking up for Emmeline Lake as she takes on the challenge of becoming a young wartime advice columnist. Her relationship with boyfriend Charles is blossoming, while Emmy’s best friend Bunty, is still reeling from the very worst of the Blitz, but bravely looking to the future. Together, the friends are determined to Make a Go of It.

Table of Contents

I like the term “cozy histfic” and I like the genre! I’m looking forward to reading this one. Glad you enjoyed! As with Dear Mrs. Bird, the women in this book are far more interesting than the men. . . . But perhaps that is one of the points of the book—that the war propelled women out of their traditional roles and into the mess of life, while the men kept a stiff upper lip and carried on." — Minneapolis Star Tribune

AJ Pearce grew up in Hampshire and studied at the University of Sussex. A chance discovery of a 1939 woman’s magazine became the inspiration for her ever-growing collection and her first novelDear Mrs Bird. S Yours Cheerfully is a tonic—comforting and uplifting. So much fun and a breath of fresh air!" —Tor Udall, author of A Thousand Paper Birds Pearce is from Hampshire. She attended secondary school in Basingstoke. [1] She went on to graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in American Studies and History from the University of Sussex. She studied abroad in the United States at Northwestern University in Illinois. She worked in entertainment marketing and publishing for an engineering magazine before going into writing, a hobby she enjoyed as a child and rediscovered in 2005. She honed her creative writing skills through classes with the Arvon Foundation. [2] [3] An absolute delight! I loved Dear Mrs. Bird and was thrilled to spend more time with Emmy and Bunty in Yours, Cheerfully. AJ Pearce shines a light on the hardships that women factory workers faced during World War II, an echo to the plight of working mothers today. Endearing, poignant, and relevant, this uplifting novel is a treat!" —Janet Skeslien Charles, author of The Paris Library

Customer reviews

Emmy reflects that in the letters to Yours Cheerfully the readers often “referred to something a friend of theirs had said. They weren’t always complimentary, but invariably you knew that their friends were a central part of their world, especially with so many men now away” (220). How does the war affect women’s everyday lives? Why are friendships so vital? When Emmy attends the first meeting at the Ministry of Information, she can’t wait to get started on the campaign to encourage women war workers. Why does Emmy feel this call to arms so keenly? Eithne Farry, Mail on Sunday Absolutely lovely! And if you haven't read Dear Mrs Bird yet, do so, without delay! You’ll hear about what I’m up to with my books, writing and research, as well as novels I’ve enjoyed, old magazines I’ve unearthed, and general cheerfulness all round.

Thanks #NetGalley @ScribnerBooks for a complimentary eARC of #YoursCheerfully upon my request. All opinions are my own. Roins, Anna (1 October 2019). "Pearce's Dear Mrs Bird shows power of friendship". AuthorLink . Retrieved 5 October 2021.

But when a glamorous new owner arrives, everything changes. As the Honourable Mrs Porter tries to charm her way around the rest of the team, Emmy realizes that she plans to destroy everything readers love about the magazine. London, November 1941. Following the departure of the formidable Henrietta Bird from Woman’s Friend magazine, things are looking up for Emmeline Lake as she takes on the new challenges as a wartime advice columnist. Her relationship with boyfriend Charles is blossoming, while Emmy’s best friend Bunty, still reeling from the very worst of the Blitz, is bravely looking to the future. Together, the friends are determined to Make a Go of It. Mr. Collins and Charles, though half-brothers, present two very different male experiences during World War II. What characteristics do they bring from their respective generations? How do they experience this war differently?

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment