276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Reverend Hubert Winter Gin Liqueur - 50cl, 27% ABV | Premium Alcoholic Drink Made with Natural Real Fruit | A Gin Liqueur Handmade in the UK | Perfect with Prosecco | Ideal for Gifts & Parties

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Hubert, by now known affectionately as ‘The Rev’, then set out to create memorable drinks worthy of the big annual celebrations which he particularly loved as these brought everybody together. Wintertime with its focus on Christmas and especially summertime with its Fetes, when he could select fruits such as plums and rhubarb from the vicarage garden. Hubert’s recipes and distillation methods were designed to create a popular tasty more drinkable gin drink at lower alcoholic strength, 20-30% ABV with a high degree of purity, blending carefully selected real fruit and natural spices of high quality.

So much so that he now has a 10% stake in the business and is committed to hand peeling Amalfi oranges and lemons for large parts of the year.I know where to go in the world to find the perfect style of a certain type of fruit. Like Serbia and its plums.” With a newfound passion for crafting liqueurs, I was soon eyeing up the magnificent cherry tree in our garden, which had just fruited with a bountiful crop (as opposed to the usual couple of handfuls). I decided to bathe the cherries in various spirits and through experimentation, cherry gin, vodka and brandy were born. They were delicious and perfect for the upcoming winter festive parties and dinners. Let’s face it we all like a little something to aid digestion and

Whilst the gin category might be fit for bursting, the sight of a winter gin liqueur is rare indeed which makes the story behind the Reverend Hubert even more fascinating. If you are sitting comfortably then let me begin… We even ground our own spices. It was an incredible number of man hours, and we are still learning how to make it now, still adjusting and adapting.”Moment of inspiration The recipe for Reverend Hubert winter gin liqueur comes straight from one of his old hip flasks that Tom Lester was handed down

Now some nearly 120 years later Tom Lester has decided to give it a second life and created a 2020 version of the winter gin liqueur recipe – that so requires every ingredient to be sourced, peeled and squeezed by hand.I am so proud of what we are doing. It feels like we have created a new category, but then I think there is plenty of room for a category between vermouth and gin. A mixable liqueur that you can use to replace a spirit, a gin in different recipes,” he explains. He says even the peeling of one lemon, or orange had to be done in a certain way. “You have to use a peeler so that you only just get the top layer of lemon skin. We also discovered that we needed a tiny layer of pith from the orange as it adds an essential bit of balancing tannin to the drink.” During one of these dinners, my aunt presented me with a beaten-up WWI hip flask with a barely legible label - it contained Reverend Hubert’s Winter Liqueur and a recipe of sorts. Here’s where our story really begins... Born in England in 1868, Hubert was the son of a wealthy merchant family. After graduating from Cambridge University, he was set to follow in his father’s footsteps working in the family business, living a life of privilege and comfort. All of this took place in October 2019 when it was too late to actually get into trade to hit the winter spirits and liqueur market.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment