276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Missing: A totally addictive psychological thriller with a shocking twist

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Eight-year-old Billy goes missing one day, out flying his kite with his sister Rose. Two days later, he is found dead. Another excellent psychological thriller by author Kim Slater, how does she achieve such a consistently high standard of writing. The tragic death of her little brother irrevocably changed Josie’s life when she was just a teenager. Their neighbor, Samuel Barlow, was convicted of the crime. Years later, Josie is a divorced mom and successful business owner when her little girl goes missing – right after Barlow is released from prison. Josie is convinced that Barlow has kidnapped her child, but it seems like Barlow’s mother is the only one who believes her.

Missing by K.L. Slater | Goodreads

I wondered if Gareth was part of the reason that Billy went missing, then there was terrible thing that happened to her friend Cassie. I liked this book, which had a few good twists. The story centers on Josie, whose 8 year old brother was murdered when she was a teen. Now it’s been 25 years and she has her own 8 year old child when the convicted murderer is released from prison. When her own daughter goes missing she thinks it’s pretty apparent who did it but the police have to launch a full investigation.

Publication Order of K.L Slater Audiobooks Books

This right here people is a perfect example of a psychological thriller. K.L. Slater had me wrapped around her finger with this one. I could do nothing else until I found out what happened to Grace. I truly felt great sympathy for Rose. Her life was irrevocably turned upside down after naively falling head over heels for a manipulative and dictating man, causing a domino effect of all the tragedy that followed.

Missing by K. L. Slater Book Review – Missing by K. L. Slater

Samuel's Mother wants to help, but she lied in the past to protect her child. Can she be trusted now? Thank you so much to NetGalley, Bookouture, and K.L. SLATER for the opportunity to read a copy of this book in exchange for a review. Lucie and Blake have suddenly found themselves living every parents worst nightmare. The day after their beloved daughter Grace's ninth birthday,they agreed to let her walk home from her best friend Olivia's house. It was only a five minute walk and they had a plan in place so they could observe her along the way. But despite all their careful planning,somewhere between the two houses, Grace completely vanished into thin air.

Publication Order of Standalone Novels

K L Slater is truly a masterful storyteller! This book was paced perfectly, we kept being fed breadcrumbs of information... just enough to satisfy me and make me wanting more... I really enjoyed how the secrets were revealed, I liked trying to figure out what was going on... another well-crafted thriller from a brilliant author! There was a lot of dialogue in this book, much of which didn't add any value. There were a few loose ends, unresolved that I, personally, would have liked to have seen explained. For one, the deaths of her parents. The fact that they are dead is mentioned several times. So that I began to think that it must be important in some way, to the story. But, nothing. Grace is only 34. Her parents were not old. What are the chances that both parents would be dead of natural causes? And the threatened closure of the library where Rose worked....a lot was made of this issue, but we never learn the outcome. It is probably not important, but damn it, I WANT TO KNOW! Up until the end, it was all pretty predictable. I really like this author, but for me, this book fell flat. It was good, fine, adequate, etc., but it didn’t blow me away like some of their other books did. Even with an ending I didn’t see coming, I just found this to be a very average mystery/thriller.

Missing by K.L. Slater | Goodreads Missing by K.L. Slater | Goodreads

This must be a mistake, Ronnie, a man Rose has known her whole life, neighbours and friends with Rose's now deceased parents, Rose and young Billy were often round Ronnie's for family barbecues, knowing Ronnie's son too, surely Ronnie can't be the monster who killed Billy, but why is Billy's blanket in the spare room? K.L. Slater does a good job creating a realistic, naive and flawed character here with our main character Rose and creating a very scary and unsettling situation for her with her relationship with Gareth. We could feel the control he had over her making us a little uncomfortable but giving us just the right amount of uneasiness to make this story an intriguing nail-biting experience. I became eager for the answers to my questions, desperate to know more about Gareth, angry at Rose to wake up and see what was happening around her. Sixteen years ago, Rose’s eight-year-old brother Billy went missing. His body was found two days later. After all this time, Rose still blames herself for his death and her failure to protect him. Someone was ultimately convicted of Billy’s murder but was it the right person? Rose thought she knew the truth but when she finds something in her neighbour’s house, doubts creep in and her world is turned upside down once again. I was introduced to K.L Slater with her novel, “Liar”. Although I was a huge fan of “Liar”, I am an even bigger fan of “The Mistake”.This book is an examination of 'who can you trust?' It's about mothers trying to protect their children and about the truth. Like all books with a mystery, I did my own super sleuthing and came up with a list of subjects. I guessed two of the plot twists early on, but I still found this book to be enjoyable. Confession, Samuel was my favorite character. I feel he was the most developed and richly drawn character. He is devious, manipulative, and cruel, yet he is also a little sympathetic. He is the most complicated character in this book, and I love complicated characters. He's unlikeable yet, has suffered emotional pain in his life which has fueled his anger and actions. I turn on my baby girl’s unicorn nightlight and bury my face in her pillow, my heart breaking. I know Samuel has her – he blames me for ruining his life, and even after all this time, he still doesn’t like to share. There are plenty of secondary characters ... the neighbor man next door that Lucie doesn't quite trust .... a friend who may or may not be having an affair with her husband .... her mother-in-law who seems to care more about what people will think rather than worry about her grand-daughter ... Lucie's father, who's always been a bit controlling. I was gifted this advance copy by K.L. Slater, Bookouture and NetGalley and was under no obligation to provide a review. It was true. Her heart was banging against her chest wall like a tin drum and her mouth and throat were dry with fear.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment