276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Unfortunates

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Puede tener sentido una muerte? ¿O ser absurda? ¿Es posible hablar de la muerte en estos términos? No lo sé, sólo siento el dolor, el dolor.” What I wish we saw from the story was that we see sahara at the end of the school her and how she is doing especially with her family. It wasn't until around 80-85% where we see her development and I kind feel like an epilogue would be nice to see more of her progress. Another thing that kinda gives me this rating was that there were a lot of abbreviations which can get confusing at times. I listened to this one audio majority of the time (which I honestly LOVED the narration), but I think reading the physical at the beginning would have been helpful. I felt it depicted the difficulties of being at a PWI so accurately. The small compound moments such as uncomfortable and insensitive classroom conversations surrounding race, navigating the social scene, and unsupportive administration are too much of a burden for a college student to have to bear. I am a reader that can be (and usually is) drawn to a book by the cover alone. Just take this book for example: it screams something deadly happened and there has to be a delicious story behind it. Well, sadly, the cover does not match the story between the covers.

Op den duur gaat het tegenstaan. Niet in de laatste plaats omdat de verteller een verbitterde, zelfingenomen man is die al zijn mededogen voor zichzelf heeft gereserveerd. Het personage deed me denken aan Ewout Meyster uit De hoogstapelaar van Wessel te Gussinklo, maar die vond ik op een bevreemdende manier ergens wel sympathiek, omdat die ten minste nog een strijd voerde en zich kon beroepen op de onbezonnenheid van de jeugd. The book is written as her thesis statement to the University Committee to document her experience before she joins the Unfortunates… I would highly recommend reading this book as I fear audio might not translate some of the most special aspects like the footnotes, images, and other mixed media that truly made this so impactful and memorable! Sahara is near breaking, and uses humour to show how angry and hurt she by the constant racism she experiences, how she cannot tell her family that she's queer, and that she expresses her frustration on her body through cutting and getting drunk regularly, and that her grades are suffering because of her mental state. Apenas en unas semanas, desde la última vez que lo habíamos visto, había cambiado brutalmente, era desolador, tenía el rostro consumido, había perdido blandura, rotundidad, vida, la piel había cobrado tal tensión que impresionaba, sí, reconocerlo, ahora, compararlo con el de antes. Con la delgadez los rasgos destacaban, cuando antes no se habían notado, los ojos protuberantes, impávidos, te miraban fijo, me deslizo en la segunda persona, un acto reflejo por defensa, se clavaban en ti más tiempo del que hubieras querido, del que querías, sí.” Not how he died, not what he died of, even less why he died, are of concern to me, only the fact that he did die, he is dead, is important: the loss to me, to us"The protagonist, Sahara, was incredibly vulnerable. She lays everything out bare for the reader and was easy to empathize with. Once, I got a third of the way through this, I couldn't put it down. The caving elements are so very compelling. And Freaky. Being trapped in a cave with no light in small claustrophobic-like spots...worse-nightmare-ever kind of stuff.

Hooper, Mark (14 October 2014). "Why BS Johnson suits the digital age". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077 . Retrieved 1 March 2019.

Explore topics

The Unfortunates is possibly the most famous of his works. I enjoyed it. I thought it was a unique reading experience. But I must admit that I missed the ironic comedy that is found so abundantly in Christie Malry's Own Double-Entry and House Mother Normal. This novel was decidedly sombre all the way through. Of Johnson's other novels it most closely resembles Trawl but it was more enjoyable because of the novelty (probably a word he would have sneered at) of the format. Por lo menos una vez fue a visitarnos a Angel, entonces ya estábamos casados, se había consolidado el matrimonio, muy feliz, lo que Tony llamaba la saga de mis mujeres había terminado muy bien, para mí, se alegraba por nosotros, nos trajo con retraso el regalo de boda, una batidora, una batidora de mano, buena, dijo, ellos tenían una igual, y era buena, sí, aunque no la usamos hasta que se estropeó la eléctrica, pero para ciertos usos, en cierto modo, era mejor que la eléctrica, es verdad, más práctica, cómo me esfuerzo por investir todo lo que proviniera de él de la mayor rectitud, la mayor santidad, casi, posible, cómo su muerte influye en cada recuerdo mío que tenga relación con él.”

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment