276°
Posted 20 hours ago

I Let You Go

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Rob and I drove home in silence, trapped in our own nightmares. We talked through the night, falling asleep on the sofa and waking to find our cheeks wet with tears, clinging to each other as though we were drowning. I Let You Go, her debut novel, was the fastest-selling title by a new crime writer in 2015 (U.K.). It won all kinds of awards and is still an extremely popular book. For good reason. The ending is intentionally ambiguous: what do you think happened at the end of the story, and do you think it was the right ending? How would you have resolved the story? I Let You Go is a chilling tale with characters that are so well drawn, you can feel their pleasure and pain on each step of the journey. I was hooked from the brilliant start to the unexpected finish. * Rachel Abbott * Alex had suffered a haemorrhage so extensive that no part of his brain was untouched. In time, the consultant said, he might be able to breathe independently, but it was doubtful he would ever walk or talk.

Forget about solving all these crimes; the signal triumph here is (spoiler) the heroine’s survival. Writing After the End was a deeply emotional experience. What happens in the book is Max’s and Pip’s story, not mine, and the filter of fiction finally enabled me to grieve. The story broke my heart all over again, but it mended it, too, and I finally made peace with our decision. None of us can predict the future, but we can shape it as it happens. We can choose to live again.The characters in the book I thought were excellent, I felt I could relate to each of them as if I was there with them, in the story, including the peripheral characters as well. Some might find a bit of a hate/love with Jenna I think, for me, I reserved judgement on her until the end of the book. The first half of the book was very very slow. I can actually understand the comparisons to Gone Girl because it has that same drawn out who even cares? first half that is turned on its head by a twist. We move between Jenna-- as she takes some photos, gets a dog and starts a new romance in Wales --and the lead detective, Ray, who manages to be even more boring than Jenna. Slowly, Jenna begins to glimpse the potential for happiness in her future. But her past is about to catch up with her, and the consequences will be devastating...

For what it’s worth,” she said quietly, “I think you’ve made the right decision.” I wondered if she would have said the same if we’d asked to keep him alive, if she was simply giving us the validation we so needed to hear. I hope not, because in the years since I’ve clung to her words for reassurance.

Success!

Here’s what it’s about: after a tragic accident, Jenna Gray’s only hope is to start afresh—and in a tiny, remote Welsh village it seems possible, just for a moment, that she might be able to find a new life. But her grief isn’t going to stay in the past for long… THAT IS ALL I CAN TELL YOU without spoilers. Thought I was finished reading for the night but decided that I just had to finish this one! While I had it all figured out early on, it didn't keep me from enjoying this one. Extremely well written debut and I look forward to her next book. The days that followed are a blur. Grief and disbelief morphed into guilt. What had we done? The doctors had said might never walk, not would. They had said unlikely to swallow, not would never. Miracles happen all the time – Alex could have recovered, he could have laughed, could have loved, could have lived. “What if?” was the constant whisper in my ear. What if you’d let him live? Slowly, Jenna begins to glimpse the potential for happiness in her future. But her past is about to catch up with her, and the consequences will be devastating . . . It's so hard to talk anymore about the plot of this book without giving away the entire reason for the book so I am not going to do that.

Gripping thriller. Clever twist. Brilliantly plotted . . . Easily best book of the last 5 years. Amazing’ – Barry Best book I’ve read this year, incredible story with a double twist, amazing, unforgettable and brilliant. You must read it’ – KD Not only I but more friends than I could have believed possible have read I Let You Go and loved it. Best book of 2015’ – Betty It’s hard to rave about this book without revealing anything. But let’s just say that I literally shrieked when I reached Part 2. And I’m the kinda person who has a resting bitch face, even while writing ‘haha’ or ‘LOL’ on social media. I love that there was such a major twist early on in the book. It made it impossible for me to put the book down. Clare Macintosh, the author of I Let You Go, is the real deal. According to her Goodreads profile, she spent twelve years in the police force, including time in the criminal investigations unit (CID). She knows what she is writing about.How does the author pull the wool over the reader’s eyes in preparation for the first major twist? How did you feel when you reached it? Although I hate writing such a vague review when I feel the need to discuss the characters and my personal opinion of them, and would like to have the opportunity to drop a few clues that would compel someone to give the book a try, I can tell you that if you like psychological thrillers and mysteries you will most likely appreciate this one and the cunning technique of the author employs.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment