276°
Posted 20 hours ago

My Naughty Little Sister

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

A lot of the stories are about ordinary days, and the kind I remember where you're stuck indoors, or you're not very well, or playing in the garden by yourself. Shirley Hughes, who has died aged 94, was an award-winning author of more than 50 children’s books, and illustrator of some 200 more, with worldwide sales of more than 11m. She kept them up to date by being a passionate user of a sketchbook in which she made quick drawings – “almost at the speed of seeing” – capturing children and settings for her stories, from which she would then create characters who are attractively wholesome without being overly sentimental. It was very nice until Mrs Clarke said, \"Well, I must think about going home soon,\" because then she said, \"I'll have to have my ring back now, lovey.

My Naughty Little Sister Collection - HarperCollins Publishers UK

The 11-year-old's quite sensible, quite well-behaved, but I think me and the twin were the naughty ones. She quickly decided that the theatre world was not for her but she found the experience provided a useful background to her later illustrative work.

The back gate was closed and the side gate was closed, and the fence was so high she couldn't have got over it. Then the teachers put the lights on again, and blew out the candles, so that we could all go and look at the tree. Granny was quick as quick, and every time my sister finished doing one thing, she found something else for her to do at once. And there, in a corner of the cold old Church someone had built a wooden shed with a Manger with straw in it inside.

My Naughty Little Sister Pages 1-50 - Flip PDF Download My Naughty Little Sister Pages 1-50 - Flip PDF Download

Granny said, \"This little girl and I think Bonfire Night is the best time of all for making Christmas puddings. My sister laughed very loud indeed, and then she went through the hole straight away to show how easy it was! She was a large, somewhat old-fashioned looking person with hair insecurely pinned up in a bun, but there was nothing cosy about her wit.It's a very nostalgic read, but also timeless - small children will always be mischievous, get into scrapes, do naughty and greedy things, and probably after saying sorry, do something similar again. She just ate her jam tart, then she gave Mrs Jones a big kiss-with-jam-on, but she didn't say anything. When Mr Jones came home, Mrs Jones told him, and Mother told Father, and they all stood in the gardens and talked. First published in the 1950s, Dorothy Edwards' much-loved My Naughty Little Sisterbooks were inspired by memories of her own sister, and will particularly resonate with older siblings.

My Naughty Little Sister Collection (Paperback) - Waterstones

He opened the oven doors and banged them shut again just like the man who helped the engine-driver did, and he made choof-choof-choofy train noises. She would stare at Mrs Jones instead, and when Mrs Jones said, \"Poor little thing, poor little thing,\" to her, my sister would go all mousy quiet for her. Grandmother chopped the candied peel, and because my sister was so good and helpful she gave her one of the lovely, sugary, candied peel middles to suck.

Alfie starred in many subsequent stories, along with his little sister Annie Rose, including An Evening at Alfie’s, Alfie Gives a Hand and Alfie Wins a Prize. Granny poured all the currants out on to the table and my sister looked to see if there were any stalky bits left in them. I loved meeting the characters for the first time, though I'm not sure about all of the messages - after all, children WILL get up to mischief, WILL make mistakes.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment