276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Harklights

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

In the Victorian era, woodland was cut down for timber and paper, but also to make charcoal. Charcoal could produce high heats and was used alongside coal for steam trains, steam ships and factories. I was also inspired by old photographs of cities with forests of chimneys and choking smoke. Trees clean the air that we breathe. It seems crazy, not only to chop down vast swathes of air-cleaning trees, but to turn them into charcoal, that when burned, pollutes the air even more. This heart-warming and enchanting story was a pleasure to lose myself in, with charming illustrations that depict a world of imagination and wonder. The writing is cleverly crafted move the narrative beyond being just about fanciful miniature worlds and people, but more so about the underlying message of the importance of protection and conservation. Dapo Adeola, Tracy Darnton, Joseph Coelho and Chitra Soundar are among the 19 authors and illustrators longlisted for the Inclusive Books for Child... Heartfelt meditation about living alongside grief’: A Shelter for Sadness by Anne Booth and David Litchfield. Illustration: David Litchfield

This is a charming tale for children, which may just help to open their eyes to the wonders of the natural world (although you can't beat taking them out in it either). I've always dreamed about writing and illustrating my own books. The illustrations are created using different materials - pencil, charcoal and screen-printed textures. I then scan these into Photoshop and build them up in layers. The illustrations in this fantasy book are simply beautiful, so it's a shame I couldn't connect with the story more. I never do well with stories that are basically morality tales of modern day issues, and I didn't originally realise that this was one, otherwise I may have skipped it.Inspiration comes from all sorts of places. Apart from libraries and bookshops, I love museums and junk shops. For me, junk shops are mini museums, except you can buy things from them and take them home. The winners of the Diverse Book Awards 2023 have been announced, with one winner from each of the four categories announced: Picture book, Children...

Nature needs our help in protecting it. If you have a garden, yard or balcony - even a very small one - plant a tree and wild flowers for bees and insects. If you don't have a place to turn into a wild patch, then you could join your local Watch Wildlife group run by The Wildlife Trust. Thank you to the author and his publisher for allowing me to read a proof of this novel in advance of publication. Forests full of signs also abounded in Amy Raphael’s debut novel, The Forest of Moon and Sword (Orion/Hachette), in which a resourceful young girl, Art, sets out to save her medicine woman mother, accused of witchcraft. While our focus is on the narrator’s hopes and fears, behind them all is a tale of despoilation, exploitation and cruelty fully relevant in our contemporary world which will resonate even with the most innocent young reader. Plot, world-building and detailed drawings’: The False Rose by Jakob Wegelius. Illustration: Jakob WegeliusA charming fairytale adventure with an enduring ecological message.” Peter Bunzl, author of Cogheart

The idea that you don't have to be big to change the world. Small actions can make big differences, whether it's choosing a bamboo toothbrush instead of a plastic one, recycling paper, or giving food to the homeless. This is an exciting adventure with a serious message, ‘Nature takes care of us, it is only right that we take care of it in return.’ This book is a beautifully illustrated, magical adventure which teaches empathy towards the natural world and is an ideal extra-curriculum read to stimulate discussion about man’s relationship with the environment. An asset to any school Library’s bookshelves! I always knew the Hobs looked after the forest. Originally, I imagined a book of forest law that the Hobs followed, a little bit like the Countryside Code. As the idea developed, I thought of different ways the Hobs could look after the forest inhabitants, whether they were plants, trees, animals or birds.For an unmissable festive treat, Juno Dawson’s Stay Another Day (Quercus) follows three siblings heading home to Edinburgh, where their perfect middle-class Christmas is soon threatened by some very big family secrets. Riffing on Christmas romcom themes, it’s a delicious family drama with a gritty contemporary edge. FN

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment