276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Speedball Linoleum Cutter Assortment #1

£10.735£21.47Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Wash your hands before starting. Natural oils and residue from your skin can interfere with the ink’s adherence to the lino or paper. If you follow a few basic principles you should be able to prevent ever cutting yourself. The first and most important of these is to cut away from your hands. Varying Tool Sizes: Different parts of your design may require different tool sizes. It’s beneficial to have a variety of cutting tools on hand to accommodate both large areas and fine details. Ink Consistency: The perfect ink for lino printing should have a certain tactile texture. It’s worth noting that printer’s ink is significantly denser than the likes of fountain pen ink.

If you are new to linocutting and want to get ahead with the art form then it’s well worth doing some preliminary linocutting exercises for beginners so you get used to using the tools and practicing the different types of marks you can create with them. I must admit that you could, like me, just roll your sleeves up and make loads of mistakes. Whilst this method does eventually work I must say it’s a lot more frustrating when you ruin a really good design so I would encourage any beginners out there to practice some of the following exercises that I found in a small book called ‘The Art of Linocutting’, published in 1936 and written by Len A. Doust. Cheers Len! The downside is that they are significantly more difficult to cut. You can still cut and print with them by hand, but it will take some practice to get right. You’ll also probably want to invest in some better quality linocut tools to cut through the tough material. Stabilise the Lino: Adhere the lino to a wooden or plastic board (like Foamex) to guarantee a uniform printing surface. Sharp tools give you more control and enable you to cut clean lines with less effort. A lot of cheaper tools are not sharp when you buy them, which doesn’t help matters. Tools should be sharpened little and often. Use an oilstone or Japanese wetstone. There is a very long and intense video on sharpening tools on youtube here. Linocut is a great way to get into the art of printmaking, with easy-to-cut materials and inexpensive tools readily available online. You can choose from simple linocut kits for complete beginners to specialty tools if looking to take the craft to the next level.Once you have a bit more experience with linocut, you might want to consider upgrading your cutters. You don’t necessarily need to spend a fortune to get good results, but it may crafting more comfortable and satisfying.

Hi, I haven’t done any lino for YEARS and for my Final Major Project I am doing a Lino print. Testing my skills, however I can not see ANYWHERE the best way to clean the lino and the ways NOT to clean? The other is the smaller L 11/1. It provides even more detail than the L 11/3, and can be used effectively as an outlining tool with some practice. Japanese relief vinyl isn’t very popular in the West, but it’s a great alternative to other softcut materials. Since it’s made from vinyl, you don’t have to worry as much about warming it up or deterioration over time.No matter how great your roller is, you won’t get great prints unless you buy some quality ink. The good news is that great ink is very easy to come by, and there are tons of colors to choose from. I’ve listed three of the best inks to add to your collection of linocut tools and materials below. Easy-to-find choice: Speedball Professional Relief Ink After your design becomes visible on the lino, enhance its clarity by retracing with a fine-tipped pen. Always Test: Before diving into the final print, make some test impressions. This can highlight issues with ink consistency, carving depth, or paper quality, allowing for adjustments.

So I have been finding the commercial carving lino to be a little bit mushy, as it wants to pile up in front of my cut like a wave.I’m very new to lino cutting, and wondered if you had any tips for cutting a gravel effect for small stone beds in a landscape? Avoid Over-Carving: Be cautious not to carve too deeply, as this can go all the way through the lino and affect how it prints. Which shape blades you prefer is definitely a matter of personal preference. Each is designed to give a different style of cut, from narrow and deep to broad and shallow. Introductory lino sets usually include a few blades, but if you're buying them separately remember that (with patience) you'll be able to cut away a large area with a narrow blade but not easily make thin cuts with a broad one. Although they were initially developed for intaglio printing, Akua Intaglio Inks are a great option for relief prints, as well. As with anything new, start with a simple design and get a feel for the technique first. Plan your design using layers of tracing paper, one for each color, before you start cutting. (Remember the paper color too.) When you've recut the lino, do a test print on a separate sheet of paper to ensure the cut is how you want it, before printing onto your actual prints.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment