276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Slim Aarons: Women

£32.5£65.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Forgotten the title or the author of a book? Our BookSleuth is specially designed for you. Visit BookSleuth Laure de La Haye‐Jousselin at the gates to her château in Normandy, 1957. Slim waited four days in the village of Saint‐Aubind’Écrosville to get this shot. Once the scene was set, he not only managed to get the subject to engage with the camera, but got her horse and two dogs to cooperate as well. As Slim’s longtime friend and editor Frank Zachary observed, ‘Slim managed to get the horse to raise his hoof. A real, honest‐to‐God 17th‐century portrait.’ Photograph: Slim Aarons/Getty. Caption: Laura Hawk What a fun coffee table style book! The content is interesting, but at times pulls away from the beautiful photos, so I found myself skimming the writing and studying the photos instead.

Slim Aarons: Women by Slim Aarons, Laura Hawk - Waterstones

I've always loved the 60's and 70's. This book reminded me of why I loved that time period. The decadence of the clothing, jewelry and surroundings seems unparalleled to this day. Waldron’s new title is the latest in a series of thematic books on the photographer, published in recent years. Focusing on the photographer’s interactions with the fashion world, its 180 photographs feature a host of style icons, including Gianni Versace on Lake Como and model Veruschka von Lehndorff doing the limbo in Acapulco. These are the exceptions, however; throughout, Aarons’s portraits attest wholeheartedly to his intention to make the good life look even better, while also telling us as much about the person behind the camera as the people in front. “In society circles, he was very well known and accepted,” says Hawk, “It was understood that he would never let an unflattering photograph go out there. If he had, it would have affected how he would have been received, so he guarded the outtakes with his life.” Had he not, his photographs might have been a great deal more intriguing – and revealing. But according to the author of a new book on Aarons’ work, the photographer’s motive was neither to celebrate nor critique the opulence he encountered. He was driven by a journalistic curiosity about how the world’s most privileged people lived, said Shawn Waldron, who co-wrote “Slim Aarons: Style.”Fashion photography is about creating a story and a typology and acting it out … but Slim didn’t want to do that,” Waldron said. “He was interested in the real person – not only what they were wearing, but what they were driving, where they’d go to dinner afterward. It’s about all the different parts that make personal style. That’s what he really connected with.” I’m going to have fun photographing attractive people doing attractive things in attractive places, and maybe take some attractive photographs as well.” Olivier Coquelin, who opened the first American discotheque, and his wife, the Hawaiian singer and actress Lahaina Kameha. Slim Aarons/Getty Images Kleenex heir Jim Kimberly (far left, in orange) talks with friends on the shores of Lake Worth, Florida in 1968. Slim Aarons/Getty Images

Slim Aarons: Women by Laura Hawk | Goodreads Slim Aarons: Women by Laura Hawk | Goodreads

Painter and sculptor Wendy Vanderbilt Lehman, grandniece of Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney, founder of the Whitney Museum, Palm Beach, 1964. Slim would stop by whenever he was in Palm Beach, Wendy remembers: ‘He came over one day to see my parents, and asked if he could photograph me. They got me all dressed up and I was so embarrassed. I was around 15 and at that awkward stage. Mummy was a great beauty and I was always scowling. He said to my mother, ‘Oh, Mollie, in a few years she’s going to be such a beauty.’ Those were the days when we women were only as lovable as we were pretty.’ Photograph: Slim Aarons/Getty. Caption: Laura Hawk Slim Aarons: Women explores the central subject of Slim Aarons’s career—the extraordinary women from the upper echelons of high society, the arts, fashion, and Hollywood. Working for publications like Town & Country, Harper’s Bazaar and Life magazine, the late photographer spent five decades taking unapologetically glamorous pictures of aristocrats and socialites. Whether lounging in Italian villas, boating off the coast of Monaco or foxhunting in the English countryside, his globetrotting subjects epitomized high society – and old money.Still using his birth name George Allen Aarons, rather than his later moniker Slim, he escaped poverty by joining the army as a photographer in his early 20s. Serving during World War II, he honed his craft not at polo matches or pool parties, but in military maneuvers including the Allies’ ill-fated assaults against Italy in the Battle of Monte Cassino. The photographer later “made light” of his experiences, but they stayed with him, Waldron said. PARTY MIX | An outtake from Slim Aarons’s iconic shoot at the Kaufmann Desert House, designed by Richard Neutra, in Palm Springs, California, 1970. Photo: Slim Aarons My problem with flipping through Slim Aarons books, is that while his photos are amazing, they look better online than they do in print. Herein lies what Waldron described as the difference between fashion and style – between the transient and the timeless. Indeed, Aarons appeared unconcerned about his subjects’ wardrobes or the trends of the day. He obviously became close to some of these people,” he added. “He photographed subjects as they came up through society and then photographed their children decades later. These are long-term relationships… but he was also very (much) of a fly on the wall and always kept that professional distance.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment