276°
Posted 20 hours ago

A Quitter's Paradise

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

A riveting, wise, and singular novel about grief, love, longing, and the mysteries of family, A Quitter’s Paradise will linger in your heart and mind.

Sarah Jessica Parker Launches Her New Literary Imprint

What do you inherit from a mother who refused to make herself known, even to the people she loved most? She still smarts at having lost out on Tommy Orange’s There There to Knopf, “but what was beautiful about that loss,” she says, “was that both Tommy and Fatima debuted on the New York Times bestseller list and shared the spot.I became interested in that family dynamic—that there’s so much of our family history that we don’t know, we don’t have access to. The life after that is a conversation I would be, of course, thrilled to have, but it’s not what’s paramount right now.

A Quitter’s Paradise by Elysa Chang - Ashley Hajimirsadeghi A Quitter’s Paradise by Elysa Chang - Ashley Hajimirsadeghi

She ends up pregnant after quitting the program, but their marriage seems to be rocky from the fact he simply gets everything and she struggles. Things really begin to hit the fan when Eleanor begins to go off the rails and ends up doing something she really should not have done, leading to irreversible consequences.This immigrant American story about the struggles of a Chinese family as they try to fit in, is thought-provoking and took time to read and contemplate.

Review | NetGalley

Parker and Zando publisher Stern connected at a lunch hosted by Joanna Coles; Stern had seen Parker photographed with a copy of Gillian Flynn’s Gone Girl , which Stern had published. In A Quitter’s Paradise, the darkly humorous debut by bold, new voice Elysha Chang, a young woman does everything she can to ignore her mother’s death, even as unearthed family secrets become increasingly inextricable from her own. Rockol only uses images and photos made available for promotional purposes (“for press use”) by record companies, artist managements and p. I knew nothing about the author, Elysa Chang, or her work before picking up this novel, and I think I’d read something by her again. asks] what it means for a first-generation daughter to stop striving, to want a meaningful life on different terms.As A Quitter’s Paradise follows Eleanor’s winding journey to make sense of herself and her grief, her story is interwoven with those of her family members—from her parents’ lives in the military villages of Taipei, to their early days as immigrants in New York City, to Eleanor and her sister’s childhoods. While the story is about the quintessential American family, it provides many layers to challenge one’s thought process. This adds some key context to the decisions and guilt that Eleanor fields, on top of the grief, of having quit everything she—and her mother—had dreamed of her doing. It’s hard to not want to be taken seriously by the trade, because that’s the only way you can get your hands on manuscripts that are exciting. I finished this book in one day, which is fairly unusual for me, and I believe other readers would do the same!

√ Lyric | Song lyrics | Overflow (feat. Wavy Baby) - MaC

I think the closest comparison you could compare this book to is Disorientation, which is about another PhD student trying to uncover a secret about a Chinese poet she’s studying.Their relationship seems to have been mildly strained in the beginning, but it becomes increasingly obvious to me that Eleanor is struggling with the impacts of her mother’s death, leading to some of the decision she makes throughout the novel. This book is still in a different vein, though, as it is primarily about grief and trying to overcome the obstacles of immigration and attempting to find the American Dream for one Taiwanese family.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment