276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Mothers and Daughters: From the Sunday Times bestselling author comes a captivating family drama

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Bernadette Fox is a bit of a mad genius; she’s a talented architect, quirky and opinionated, a misfit among the other moms in her Seattle suburb but best friend to her teenage daughter Bee. She’s also so intensely agoraphobic that she pays a virtual assistant in India to handle even her most basic errands, making an impending family trip to Antarctica only, you know, slightly problematic. When Bernadette suddenly goes missing, Bee sets out to figure out where her mother could have gone. She begins to unravel the complicated workings of her mother’s brilliantly misunderstood mind. Patron Saint of Liars by Ann Patchett Although the relationship between the three women is at the heart of the story, other relationships are bought under the spotlight including marital problems, the issues facing blended families, control and abuse and deciding how much of your real self that you let others see. This one is no exception. The relationship of three women, a mother and her two grown up daughters and how they have dealt with the death of their father/husband two years previously is explored in the novel. There is mention of the coronavirus pandemic, but it isn’t really about that, and it seems to take place when we’re all out of this mess! The three women, Naomi, Martha and Willow are all in relationships of various different stages. Naomi, at 60 odd is with the one who got away at university. Martha is in a stable satisfying marriage and Willow is finally with a man that is viewed as perfect boyfriend material by the rest of the family. The story centres around Naomi and her two daughters Martha and Willow. Naomi has recently been widowed and is trying to rebuild her life in the little village of Tilsham by the sea. While attempting to be the best mother she can be, Ashley Keller isn't doing so well. She thinks she'll finally be the mother she's always wanted to be after signing up for the Motherhood Better boot camp. Author of The Honest Toddler takes a look at the demands that society places on mothers and gives the idea of being a great mother doesn't require you to be perfect. The Daughter by Lucy Dawson

Mothers and Daughters The 18 Best Novels about Bonds Between Mothers and Daughters

Jenna Metcalfe has been searching for her mother for years since her mysterious disappearance; she simply vanished in the wake of a tragic accident at the elephant sanctuary where she’d been studying the majestic creatures. Jenna doesn’t believe for one second that her mother would choose to abandon her. She hires a psychic and a private detective to try and piece together what really happened. My Name is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout This is a compelling and fabulous story about relationships and life and what mothers will do to protect their children, I loved it from start to finish, it was a hard book to put down and what a beautiful setting, a beautiful cottage Anchor House on the coast of a small English village Tilsham. We get to meet Naomi and her daughters Martha and Willow, this is a moving and emotional story and so beautifully told. Had I known that this book wouldn't be just about Mothers and Daughters I probably would've been able to enjoy it a bit more.This is a captivating and amazing story about relationships and life, and what mothers will do to protect their children; I enjoyed it from beginning all the way up to the end and found it difficult to put down. What a beautiful setting, a magnificent Anchor House on the seaside of a small English village called Tilsham. Naomi and her daughters Martha and Willow are introduced; this is a powerful and dramatic storyline that is splendidly presented. Naomi meets her new neighbour, Ellis, who is actually an old acquaintance, and thinks that now is the time to move past the death of her husband, Colin, and have Ellis by her side. Martha, on the other hand, has other ideas and wants her mother to sell her house and move closer to the daughters, which disrupts the natural flow of family life with them... This was a captivating story that I really enjoyed. It’s my first read from James and I hope it won’t be my last, because this book was such a good novel. I liked James’ story-telling, exploring the connections between three women that goes beyond just being mother and daughter. With an insatiable appetite for other people's business, Erica James will readily strike up conversation with strangers in the hope of unearthing a useful gem for her writing. She finds it the best way to write authentic characters for her novels, although her two grown-up sons claim they will never recover from a childhood spent in a perpetual state of embarrassment at their mother's compulsion. I thought the author did a perfect job of blending all the different personalities and showing how they each reacted to change and personal challenges – as well as focusing on the difficulties that arise when someone wants to reclaim their own life in the face of opposition from others.

Mothers and Daughters: The perfect Mother’s Day gift and new Mothers and Daughters: The perfect Mother’s Day gift and new

The latest, Mothers and Daughters I loved. The central characters are Naomi, a strong and resilient character, widowed after a long marriage to Colin. Her two adult daughters Martha, who is determined, bossy, organised to the nth degree and her father’s favourite and then there is Willow. The youngest and the most indecisive, who drifts along in life not really having a focus of what she wants to do. Each woman has their own memory of Colin who casts his shadow over their lives, even after his death. The author grew up in Alabama in the same town in which this novel is set. So perhaps it is “auto-fiction” – autobiography disguised as fiction. It matters not. This is a remarkable and earnest exploration of childhood faith and the cold harsh realities of adulthood. In wrestling with suffering and fighting quite hard to hold onto hope, in Gifty we have a heroine who embodies what it means to want to believe in a world that seems determined to extinguish the small flame of hope lit inside her as a child. And her triumph becomes ours. Maya Angelou's memoir Mom & Me & Mom tells the narrative of her relationship with her mother. Maya and her brother were moved to live with their grandmother when they were three years old. She tells how she and "Lady" (her mother), reconciled a decade later and learned to find the right amount of love/respect for a long-term relationship. White Oleander by Janet Fitch This list of books about mother-daughter relationships is sponsored by The Cactus by Sarah Haywood. Coming home seemed to have started the healing process. No longer vivid and garish, the memories seemed to be covered in gossemer, fading behind a curtain of time and forgiveness.”

References from Genesis, telling Dinah's story spoke so loudly about family relationships, and purpose. Additionally, I reflected on how our relationships with our fathers do have a great deal of impact on our relationship with God. (A blessing for me!) Naomi’s life has revolved around her family. Since her husbands death and her daughters embarking on their own relationships Naomi is at a crossroads where she is finding herself on her own for the first time in years. Martha is hoping Naomi will move closer to her especially as she is planning on having a baby. She tries to enlist Willows help who is not so sure and feels her mum should stay in their family home. Through these stories, Shannon explains the intimate connection between faith and family—and how God’s unexpected agenda can redefine the way we think about family. Not all of these mothers and daughters in the Bible were paragons of virtue. Like us, they were human beings who faltered and struggled to do their best. While some heard God’s voice, others chose their own paths. Through the lens of their imperfections, we can see how God used their stories to bring about His divine plans. He’s still doing the same work in our lives today. Mother was comfort. Mother was home. A girl who lost her mother was suddenly a tiny boat on an angry ocean. Some boats eventually floated ashore. And some boats, like me, seemed to float farther and farther from land”

Mothers and Daughters by Erica James | Waterstones

The phrase “stage mom” is never a compliment. And as glamorous as it may appear to be, being the daughter of an actress is no walk in the park, either. Actress makes this perfectly and poignantly clear.Have faith” is a phrase we hear all the time. But what does it actually look like to live it out? In The Mothers and Daughters of the Bible Speak, Shannon Bream examines the lives of biblical women to see how God’s plans can turn our worlds upside down. She tells the story of Jochebed, a mother who took enormous risks to protect her son, Moses, from Pharaoh. Could Jochebed have imagined that God’s actual design for her son involved flight into exile and danger? And yet this was all part of the master plan to deliver Israel from slavery. Another biblical mother, Rebekah, made terrible choices in an attempt to ensure her son’s place in history. And a daughter, Michal, struggled to keep her faithless father, Saul, from sin, while battling pride in herself. Since her husband Colin died a couple of years ago, Naomi has quietly rebuilt her life in Anchor House in the coastal village of Tilsham. She has reconnected with Ellis, who she knew during uni. Romance has blossomed between them but what will her two daughters think?

Mothers and Daughters: From the Sunday Times bestselling Mothers and Daughters: From the Sunday Times bestselling

Naomi was suddenly widowed a couple of years ago, but has remained in Tilsham by the sea, rebuilding her life and generally feeling contentSomething about the way Mrs. Bream gets into the heads of these people of the Bible and then further dives into why they made the decisions they did has really touched me and there were plenty of 'aha' moments for me. Her eldest daughter, Martha, is sensible and determined – just like her father was – and very much in control of where her life is going. If she could just get pregnant with her husband, life would be perfect. I don’t often come across a book in which I find so many of the characters empathetic. At the same time, the situations rang true to life and I could imagine my sisters, or my daughters reacting similarly.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment