276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Theodora Hendrix and the Snare of the Shadowmongers

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This story was so imaginative and engaging. There was a fun mystery with some red herrings, great locations and enough quirkiness to hold my attention throughout the book.

As well as being extremely humorous, Theodora Hendrix is also very heart-warming. I loved the friendship that develops between Theodora and Dexter and the chapter where Theodora's family all work together to hide the fact that they are monsters from Dexter when he's invited to the mansion for a play-date is hilarious! Dexter Adebola's character highlights the struggle of fitting into a new school and being a person of colour in a predominantly white setting. There’s also been someone delivering threatening letters to the Monstrous League of Monsters, someone who knows they’ve broken one of the rules of the Monstrous League of Monsters Charter.This is the second book in the series, and despite not reading the first one… I really enjoyed it. The story tells of Theodora, a human who lives in a house on monsters with a mummy for a mummy, a spider for a pet and a secret room full of curses… Theodora goes to normal human school and has to fight injustice against their notoriously horrid headteacher. But whilst doing this she also has to find out the mystery of the beetles… and stop the evil monster headquarter inspector taking over too…

Equally, I was left puzzling over the identity of Theodora's birth parents and the reasons why she was left in the graveyard - there are so many unanswered questions, there just has to be another book in the series! I can't be left hanging like this!

Advance Praise

Zombie George Hendrix and vampire-cat Banjo are startled when, one Halloween, they discover an abandoned human baby in a graveyard. To prevent her from being eaten by hobgoblins, they take her home to the Monstrous League of Monsters. As the monsters’ first rule is to stay hidden from humans, they know the baby should be returned to human care, but they cannot resist keeping her.

Chris Jevons’ illustrations are absolutely adorable, with an Addams Family vibe. They bring the characters to life so well and although the details occasionally don’t line up perfectly with the text, the majority of the time they do. I particularly loved the cute little bats in the text breaks.But no one can ever know that she’s at the Monstrous League of Monsters mansion (it’s haunted, of course) or else there will be consequences for her monster kin. “Harbouring a human is punishable by death” Okay, really serious consequences. Nos encontramos frente a una lectura ligera, entretenida y rápida que atrapará a aquellos lectores de entre 8 y 12 años interesados en el mundo de los monstruos. Descubrimos en Theodora un personaje rebelde que no se conforma con saber lo justo, va mucho más allá, buscando las respuestas que el resto de los monstruos trata de ocultarle; siempre con el fin de cuidar a su familia de los desastres que ocasionaría si alguien descubriese que vive con ellos, pues la primera norma de la Liga de los Monstruos es mantener al humano ajeno a la existencia de estos seres. This is a lovely and enchanting story with beautiful illustrations that is great for a Halloween read or for any child (or grown up) who loves a mystery and creepy monsters too! My personal favourite, though, was Sherman the tarantula, Theodora’s friend who’s “the cheese to her pizza”. He wears a top hat and monocles, and believes there isn’t a food that can’t be improved with strawberry jam. Someone who knows this more than anyone is Theodora Hendrix. She was found in a graveyard one night just before midnight. People of her town avoided this eerie place as it was thought to be haunted. So who was it who found her?

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment