276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Alone on a Wide Wide Sea

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

That’s what sailing is, a dance, and your partner is the sea. And with the sea you never take liberties. You ask her, you don’t tell her. You have to remember always that she’s the leader, not you. You and your boat are dancing to her tune.” ~ Michael Morpurgo I think I was born to sail, and I mean that. So when I set off on my great sailing adventure, it was because I wanted to do it.” ~ Michael Morpurgo

He further said that he had never seen anything so dry and twisted as were those sails except the brown, dried, skeletal leaves that obstructed the movement of the brook in his forest, when in every summer the bush of ivy was laden with snow, and the owlet hooted at the wolf which, beneath the tree, ate his own young ones, in the absence of the she-wolf. My favourite part is when Allie decides to depart on the journey by herself. I think this shows how determined she is and how much potential she has, (212) I thought that making a girl the hero of a book was a good idea because it shows that girls are sometimes stronger than boys. But girls are strong in their heart but not as strong physically. It made me really sad when Arthur's friend Wes dies (74). I thought about all the young adults fighting to death in WW2 to protect their countries. That was such an incredibly poignant and brilliant book. It tugged at so many emotions and left me filled with a satiated sadness at the end of it. Alone on a Wide Wide sea is about a boy, an orphan, named Arthur, who his separated from his sister when he is only a very small child. The book is very peculiar because Michael Morpurgo has made the character go into the future. He talks a bit about his childhood and then jumps into adulthood. En route to New Zealand, the Kitty IV is joined by an albatross. Allie becomes convinced that the spirit of her father lives on in the albatross, and the bird becomes an important source of motivation. Sadly, after rounding Cape Horn, she accidentally kills the albatross, as it gets fouled in a fishing line that she is trailing behind the boat. This loss triggers her to fall into a depressive mood, which eventually is lifted when she encounters a loggerhead turtle.

More by this poet

Arthur Hobhouse and his friend Marty meet for the first time on a boat bound for Australia. They are part of a consignment of child migrants sent from Britain to find new and better lives in Australia. The boys are sent to work at Cooper's Station, under the care of the cruel and vindictive Piggy Bacon. Then upon the whirlpool where the ship had sunk, the boat spun round and round for a while. Gradually everything became quiet in the bay except that the cloud sound was still being echoed by the hills. I also agree that we live in our childhood life more than the times take. We remember more of our childhood moments compare to our old life. Time also seem to run faster when we are older. It's just run. a year seems shorter than it was before. It's just true. The Ancient Mariner then points to the bridegroom’s door and says that a loud noise of music and talking issues from the house. The merry and gay Wedding-Guests are there feasting, singing and dancing. But in the garden, the bride and bride maids are heard singing together. Just then the bell of evening prayer is also heard. The Ancient Mariner tells the Wedding-Guest to listen to the little evening-prayer-bell. He adds that the bell calls him to come to church to say his evening prayer. What I like the most of this book is it's seem so real. He wrote from two perspectives that is the father who once is only a little boy and another part is from his daughter's perspective. I love the father's parts more, indeed this is his story after all.

Coleridge makes use of several literary devices in this part of ‘The Rime of the Ancient Mariner,’as well as in all the other sections.These include but are not limited to personification, alliteration, repetition, and imagery. The latter is one of the most important techniques a poet can use in their work. Without it, readers might leave the poem interested or unmoved by what they read. For example, “Brown skeletons of leaves that lag /My forest-brook along.”The word “morrow morn” means next morning, while the meaning of “And is of sense fortorn” means that the Wedding-Guest has been forsaken by his power of judging; or, and was out of his senses. Orphaned during WW11, six-year old Arthur Hobhouse is separated from his sister, Kitty, when he is sent on a horrendous voyage to Australia in 1947, losing not only his birth country and everything he knew, but also his very identity.

Thereupon the Pilot called upon God to save them, and exclaimed that the ship really had a devilish appearance, and so he was afraid to go ahead towards the ship. But the hermit encouraged him to row the boat on fearlessly. Alone On A Wide Wide Sea was written by Michael Morpurgo, adapted for Radio 2 by Ian McMillan and stars Jason Donovan, Olivia Beardsley and Toby Jones. Folk ballads often have sudden dramatic beginnings and are written in the form of dialogue usually between the narrator and the listeners as well as between characters. The language is simple but there is plenty of repetition and use of archaic words. There is a sudden change of action besides music and rhythm. The poem contains all these characteristics. Hence, it is a ballad although not a folk-ballad. Facing hard times, Arthur and Marty turn to drink. Arthur ends up in hospital where he falls in love with a nurse, Zita, marries and has a daughter. Arthur and his daughter Allie decide to build a small boat to sail from Australia to England in search of Arthur's long lost sister Kitty. When Arthur dies unexpectedly, the trip is put on hold until Allie announces that she will make the 15,000 mile journey round the world to find Kitty on her own.

Well, because it can't make up its mind whether it's a book for kids, for adults or for young adults. As an adult I love it, as a kid I would have hated it and I'm not sure what I'd have thought of it as a teenager. Probably been baffled by it. During WWII, Arthur Hobhouse was separated from his sister and put on a ship bound for Australia when he was just eight years old. Afraid and alone, Arthur had to learn how to survive in harsh conditions, experiencing more of life than most people do in a lifetime. From working on a farm with an abusive owner, being adopted by a woman who lived among animals, to finding a passion for the wide wide sea, Arthur’s story stretches through the decades as we ride the waves with him and watch him become a father.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment