276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Sigma 402965 16 mm F1.4 DC DN Contemporary Sony E Lens - Black

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Because the Sigma 16mm and Olympus M.Zuiko 17mm are priced very similarly and have comparable optical characteristics, we need to focus our attention on the other differences that could influence your decision. Chromatic aberrations, typically seen as purple or blue fringes along contrasty edges, can be detected in quite a lot of our sample shots - this is definitely one of the Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN C's weaker points in terms of image quality. like the idea of having a traditional focal length (the 17mm is the closest you’ll find to a 35mm equivalent lens in the AF range)

Another point to remember here is that the lens doesn’t have inbuilt stabilisation. Although that’s not so much an issue with some manufacturers, such as the several of the Fujifilm models mentioned here, none of the Nikon Z DX cameras include IBIS. Generally, that shouldn’t really be a problem with a lens this wide, but it’s worth bearing in mind if you’re looking to shoot in certain conditions, such as low light or for vlogging for example. This is awesome to see with a mid-budget APS-C lens, as usually full sealing is reserved for higher-end full frame glass. Vignetting is something of a non-issue, given that Fujifilm’s in-camera correction produces images with virtually none. It is slightly visible, shooting wide open, but is all but gone when shooting at f/2.8. It is rather academic as even when shooting wide open, you will be hard pushed to notice it unless you are photographing paint drying on a wall. Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN C for Z Mount

Optical Quality – Through the lens

You perhaps won’t get the ridiculous AF speed and accuracy of an OEM Sony lens, but I’ve found you can get pretty close. The 16mm F1.4 DC DN | Contemporary is the world's first interchangeable lens for mirrorless Sony E-mount cameras in the APS-C format to offer a 24mm focal length (35mm equivalent) and F1.4 brightness. The lens for Micro Four Thirds offers a 32mm focal length (35mm equivalent) with the same bright F1.4 aperture. This is the large-diameter wide-angle lens for which mirrorless camera users have been waiting. We didn't experience very much "hunting", either in good or bad light, with the lens accurately focusing almost all of the time. It's also a very quiet performer, thanks to the built-in stepping AF motor, which makes this lens well-suited to video recording. Otherwise, using the lens with a Nikon camera is pretty much identical in experience to using it with one of the other mounts. Focusing is fast, accurate and quiet, making it well-suited to a range of different subjects.

Bokeh is a word used for the out-of-focus areas of a photograph, and is usually described in qualitative terms, such as smooth / creamy / harsh etc. In the Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN C lens, Sigma employed an iris diaphragm with nine rounded blades, which has resulted in quite nice bokeh in our view. We do realise, however, that bokeh evaluation is subjective, so we've included several 100% crops for your perusal. Now, before we finish up the review, there are some a couple of random things I have to cover. Stabilization? The 17mm is officially listed as having a maximum magnification of 0.08x (MFT) or 0.16x (35mm format), so either way, the specifications go in contrast with the actual results. Here again we can assume that the higher magnification of the Sigma in this real world test is due to more pronounced focus breathing when focusing at the shortest focus distance. Chromatic Aberration I am impressed by how the Sigma 16mm f/1.4 performs with respect to vignetting. Even when shooting wide open, there is not a lot of vignette and in many real-world situations, it would not be noticeable. What little vignette there is can be dealt with by stopping down a few stops, but exposure falloff is not a concern with this APS-C lens.

Barcode No.

There are 16 lens elements, two of which are SLD (Special Low Dispersion) elements, and three are Sigma’s FLD (Ultra Low Dispersion; one can only guess why they used F and not U in their acronym!) glass. Those glass specifications sound impressive, but they wash over me as much meaningless babble. When I’ve asked other photographers, they usually shrug their shoulders and admit they haven’t got a clue. I’ve tried lenses with all sorts of combinations of lens elements. Some have been great, and others not so. The only way to tell is to take the lens out and try it, which is what I did. Focusing Performance of the Lens On a slightly unrelated note, the Sigma 16mm F1.4 has also gotten some love from the astrophotography community. Astro performance isn’t the main focus of the lens, but it performs pretty well. My Final Thoughts Alternatives

If the lens is Sony E fit, then the APS-C format gives an equivalent of 24mm, a classic ultra-wide focal length. This would also be an excellent lens for street photography, landscapes and architecture, although it is always possible to use lenses outside their normal, accepted applications, sometimes to very good effect. The Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN C ships with a good quality plastic circular-shaped lens hood. It accepts 67mm filters. The SIGMA 16mm F1.4 DC DN | Contemporary features SIGMA's inner focus technologies, while lighter lens elements in the focus lens group make possible a more compact actuator. Moreover, this lens offers outstanding stability whether the photographer is shooting handheld or has the camera placed on a surface. Structurally, the lens features materials and parts that contribute to its compact, lightweight structure. In summary, this is an unprecedented lens that combines outstanding optical performance with exceptional portability and usability.

Sigma 16mm f/1.4 DC DN C Chromatic Aberration Charts

MPB puts photo and video kit into more hands, more sustainably. Every month, visual storytellers sell more than 20,000 cameras and lenses to MPB. Choose used and get affordable access to kit that doesn’t cost the earth. As for sharpness at a close distance, the lenses continue to perform in a very similar manner at all values except their fastest apertures where the Olympus is clearly sharper. Optical Quality – Through the lens GX85, 1/400, f/5.6, ISO 200 – Sigma 16mm f/1.4 Pen F, 1/1250, f/2.5, ISO 200 – M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8 Sharpness So yeah, I really do think the Sigma 16mm F1.4is quite literally the best value wide angle lens for Sony APS-C cameras. Still, the Rokinon can be a solid choice if you enjoy manual and want to save a lot of money (oh, and it’s the best lens for astro like I mentioned earlier). In any case, the Sigma 16mm F1.4 is an absolute legend of a lens. Conclusion

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment