276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Furies: Stories of the wicked, wild and untamed - feminist tales from 15 bestselling, award-winning authors

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The blurb said something about all ‘the teenagers weaving their own tragedy’, but Mel was the only one that seemed to be involved in this not so tragic tragedy.

Kā jau stāstu krājumā ar dažādām autorēm - daži stāsti man patika ļoti, daži - nu tā un daži - īsti nepatika. Excellent read that did truly get to the heart of me – and a heads up, if you are lucky enough to have a copy with the added bonus of a short essay from Ms Haynes as an afterword talking about why the Greek Tragedies are perfect in conjunction with todays teenagers then make sure you give that a read when you are done. It is accepted by you that Daunt Books has no control over additional charges in relation to customs clearance.Although I could fairly quickly work out the rough outlines of the disaster, Haynes kept me on the edge of my seat by the incredibly skillful way she slowly revealed a detail here and a detail there, as if I were seeing a picture at first only blurrily through misted glass but then the mist gradually evaporated. Especially the main character Alex - I found her narration and backstory and just general personality a bit dry. I liked the discussions on heroism, fate and whether we have any free will at all they had when reading Oedipus, the way the kids swapped opinions on sacrifice when it came to Alcestis and how the themes of revenge, justice and vigilante justice they discussed when reading the Oresteia came into play later in the story. I am not being paid in any way to voice certain opinions of this book as this is an honest review written in my own words. In fact, the diary entries written by Mel – one of Alex’s students – now read to me as by far the strongest part of the novel: she has a believable voice; her narrative pushes the plot forward while also articulating her personal experience of deafness effectively.

To access your ebook(s) after purchasing, you can download the free Glose app or read instantly on your browser by logging into Glose.Hussy” by Caroline O’Donoghue (4/5) revolves around an adult film star, past her glory days but determined to make the best of her circumstances. But this is really good: woman whose husband has died goes to work in a school with kids who have been kicked out of their schools and they all read Greek tragedies together. Her background is in theater and she takes a teaching job at Rankeillor Street, a place for children who have been kicked out of previous schools.

Where it didn't quite live up to what I wanted was the darker aspects of the plot, and the crime itself; it was a little underwhelming and I had hoped for her to go a lot deeper into the themes and craft a dark, disturbing experience of literature. Her first novel, The Amber Fury, was published to great acclaim on both sides of the Atlantic, as was The Ancient Guide to Modern Life, her previous book. The term "psychological thriller" is more appropriate but at the same time really quite misleading, in that our central characters are never in any great danger beyond the hazards of spending time among problem kids who can turn violent on occasion. The main character becomes a teacher for troubled children and tells them to keep a journal about their feelings. A cracking, fizzing, furious and fun collection of stories by some starry authors, each titled with a gendered insult, such as Hussy, Wench, Dragon, She-Devil, Termagent, and Vituperator.The story starts off in the present perspective, where we find our main character teacher talking to lawyers about how some horrible incident occurred.

Smith’s rapist’s ex-wife says that the man once tied her to a chair and threatened to drown her, while another woman recounts that her ex-husband “stomped” on her head until she fainted. Published to celebrate 50 years of the feminist imprint, Virago, I enjoyed every contribution, including Sandi Toksvig’s introduction.A FUN AND FEARLESS ANTHOLOGY OF FEMINIST TALES, to celebrate Virago’s 50th birthday, featuring NEW AND ORIGINAL STORIES by Margaret Atwood, Susie Boyt, Eleanor Crewes, Emma Donoghue, Stella Duffy, Linda Grant, Claire Kohda, CN Lester, Kirsty Logan, Caroline O’Donoghue, Chibundu Onuzo, Helen Oyeymi, Rachel Seiffert, Kamila Shamsie and Ali Smith – introduced by Sandi Toksvig. a powerful piece about a WWII rebellion I couldn’t face and a fascinating one about menopause and ageing, “Dragon” by Stella Duffy. The most intimidating group put in her charge is a small class of teenagers, only five strong, whom she somehow manages to get interested in the classic Greek tragedies.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment