276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Adventures In The Screen Trade: A Personal View of Hollywood

£6.495£12.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This is definitely one of them. Fascinating stories about ups, downs, hits and flops, and how it affected him as a person.

Adventures In The Screen Trade by William Goldman - Waterstones Adventures In The Screen Trade by William Goldman - Waterstones

Over the years I have met and worked with a dozen prize-winning American directors, and there is not one whose “philosophy” or “worldview” remotely interests me. The total amount of what they have to “say” cannot cover the bottom of even a small teacup.” Ha! The book is filled with that kind of thing. It's not mean, just honest. Whoever invented the meeting must have had Hollywood in mind. I think they should consider giving Oscars for meetings: Best Meeting of the Year, Best Supporting Meeting, Best Meeting Based on Material from Another Meeting.”

This is a true insider's look at the screenwriting business (from the writer of All the President's Men, Marathon Man and – interestingly, the novel of Princess Bride) and interesting for anyone who writes or likes movies because - yes, there are fun gossipy asides about Hollywood (Robert Redford had ego!), but it's focus is on what makes a good story and how to write one that sells as a screenplay. They're not always the same thing.

Adventures in the screen trade : a personal view of Hollywood Adventures in the screen trade : a personal view of Hollywood

If the beginning of the book is like a casual conversation over a cup of coffee, the final third of the book is like he turned to you and said, ‘You know what? I like you. Drop by my office tomorrow, and I’ll show you how the work gets done.’ Goldman grew up in a Jewish family in Highland Park, Illinois, a Chicago suburb, and obtained a BA degree at Oberlin College in 1952 and an MA degree at Columbia University in 1956.His brother was the late James Goldman, author and playwright.And then of course, while you are stewing, he kills it. He writes the scenes that work, that play well and are the most logical next steps in the movie. It may not be Oscar-bait, but it’s a film you’ll like AND YOU WILL KNOW WHY ITS WRITTEN THAT WAY. What’s fascinating about the criticisms of the script - which I saw no problem with on first reading - is not just how correct they are about the holes in the script, but about the details that they red flag are minute (my-noot?). The little details are what completely blows the whole premise out of the water! Full Book Name: Adventures In The Screen Trade: A Personal View of Hollywood by Goldman, William 2Rev Edition (1996) In "Part Three: Da Vinci", Goldman shows the reader how he would go about adapting his own short story "Da Vinci" into a screenplay. The full text of "Da Vinci" and the subsequent screenplay that he wrote are included, followed by interviews with key movie industry figures, including director George Roy Hill, cinematographer Gordon Willis, and composer Dave Grusin.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment