276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Claris: The Chicest Mouse in Paris: 1: Volume 1

£7.495£14.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Honestly, this book is a little girls dream. Well it would have been mine as a child anyway. One of my favourite books of all time was about a Mouse called Katie who used to run around in the forest and play dress up in the autumn leaves. I like to think that Katie Mouse would have grown into a Mouse like Claris, moving from leaf couture, to actual couture. The text is in rhyme, and it works pretty well. The rhymes aren't always the best, but they are fine. The rhythm of each line doesn't always exactly match, but it was okay. It's not Milton or Shakespeare, but it does a good job of telling the story. (I have a pet peeve with children's books being written in bad poetry, so I'm overly critical of this aspect of the writing. Other people would probably not notice it at all.)

As soon as I had my own children, I wanted to desperately write a children’s book. There were already so many wonderful books for children but I really wanted to create a character that was different. It felt like all books for little girls had to be either about a complete princess or a total tomboy … I wanted a little character that could love fashion (as I do) but was also enormously brave and adventurous. With that in mind, I created CLARIS – The Chicest Mouse in Paris. Of all the projects that I work on, she is my absolute favourite! I was inspired to create Claris the mouse during my time in Paris, researching for my book Paris Through a Fashion Eye… I was sitting on my little balcony at Le Bristol Hotel, where I was their artist in residence, and I thought I saw a little mouse on a neighbouring rooftop scurrying across the building. I remember thinking how wonderfully chic it would be to live in Paris, even if you were only a tiny little mouse!

Confirm your age

I knew that I would love this book as soon as I laid eyes on it. Megan Hess's illustrations are breathtakingly beautiful and the story she details is so magical. Hess' protagonist, Claris, is an ambitious mouse who makes her own dresses, adores couture and dreams of moving to Paris to pursue a career in fashion. Along the way she comes into conflict with a spoilt penthouse princess and a menacing cat, but will they stand in the way of her dreams? ☁️🎀🗼

I loved the beautiful illustrations in this book! The colors are bright, and the lines are delicate. I love all the pretty fashion designs! I just adore Claris! She is such a sweet and lovely little mouse. I love stories about mice anyway, but this little mouse takes the cake. I love all her pretty clothes. She is the epitome of elegance and refinement, but with a heart of compassion and humility. Claris dreams about moving to Paris, and she takes a leap of faith to make her dreams come true. She meets a mean cat in Paris, and has to use all her fashion wiles and personal compassion to win the day.

Sort by:

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment