276°
Posted 20 hours ago

A Master of Djinn: 1 (Dead Djinn Universe)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

So when someone murders a secret brotherhood dedicated to one of the most famous men in history, al-Jahiz, Agent Fatma is called onto the case. Al-Jahiz transformed the world 50 years ago when he opened up the veil between the magical and mundane realms, before vanishing into the unknown. This murderer claims to be al-Jahiz, returned to condemn the modern age for its social oppressions. His dangerous magical abilities instigate unrest in the streets of Cairo that threaten to spill over onto the global stage. Government Agency of Fiction: The Ministry of Alchemy, Enchantments, and Supernatural Entities, the Egyptian agency in charge of dealing with all things magic. Magic Fire: Agent Fatma is familiar with all kinds of magical fire, but she is initially stumped by a murder scene at the Worthington Mansion where the victims burned alive but their clothes were untouched. It turns out to be the fire of an ifrit.

A Master of Djinn - Tordotcom Publishing

Ahmad has a habit of stalking out of the shadows whenever he wants to hold a conversation with Agent Fatma, not realizing his crocodilian features make his appearance more of a Jump Scare than a Stealth Hi/Bye. When he apologizes, he asks if he's being creepy and always gets an affirmative. Fascinating! I love the intricate alt-history world of A Master of Djinn, with its hints at the changed destinies of nations and ordinary people alike after the cataclysmic return of magic to the world. Clark gives us an engaging mystery with a wonderful mix of the fantastic and the mundane, chain-smoking crocodile gods, stuffy marid librarians, and a brilliant heroine with a dashing bowler.” - Django Wexler, author of The Thousand Names

Turns out, people liked it. The story. The main character. The worldbuilding. They really liked it. So much so, some asked the inevitable–“is there more?” For their wish, I ask that you grant these two fools death—as old men, in their beds, at the end of their natural lives.” Let me start this review by saying I that enjoyed Clark’s short stories set in the Dead Djinn Universe quite a lot; A Dead Djinn in Cairo was snappy and entertaining, offering a refreshing mix of ideas, and The Angel of Khan el-Khalili is a solid psychological story rooted in real events, showcasing Clark’s strengths in the short form. A Master of Djinn, on the other hand… I know this must be a difficult time for you. Your sister is an evil maniac bent on world conquest. She killed your father, which is just terrible. Plus, I don’t think this house has much resale value."

The best recent science fiction, horror and fantasy – review

Nonhuman Humanoid Hybrid: Zagros turns out be half djinn, half daeva (a similar species living in the east, but more tempestuous).

Alongside her Ministry colleagues and a familiar person from her past, Agent Fatma must unravel the mystery behind this imposter to restore peace to the city—or face the possibility he could be exactly who he seems… All the strengths of the short stories: sharp focus, snappy dialogue propelling the action forward, tantalizing glimpses of the wonders of the magic-steam-punk world imagined in detail by the author, flawed but feisty heroines, here simply disappeared in a dreadfully formulaic set of events broken by irrelevant snippets of alternate history. I will say that out loud: I don’t care about dying Ottoman Empire, beset on all sides by magically enhanced countries. I don’t care about German goblins or French fairies, or Russian rusalkas (btw, seriously? We’re matching them by the name? Then Egypt should certainly have none of djinn, being overwhelmed by a contingent of Brazilian encantados instead). The major plot points of this book, such as the peace summit, were either immaterial to the whole, or bungled so badly they seemed immaterial. Yes, I can reason out the importance of a peace summit in 1912, with all European parties increasingly more willing to spill some blood and reshuffle the cards on the table or even change the game altogether. But my understanding doesn’t come from A Master of Djinn at all – rather, from my knowledge of history. La agente más joven del Ministerio de Alquimia, Encantamientos y Entidades Sobrenaturales es famosa por sus trajes impecables, su audacia y su sorprendente habilidad para evitar la destrucción del universo.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment