276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Down the Hatch: An Agatha Raisin Mystery: 32

£11.035£22.07Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Agatha Raisin' Season 3: When Is Acorn TV Airing Remaining Episodes?". Tv Shows Ace. 2019-10-31 . Retrieved 2020-02-11.

A fun book, but it’s not the best murder mystery I’ve ever read. Honestly, this reads more like a small town intrigue featuring gossipy & quirky characters, with a light side of crime solving. The book is marginally more like Agatha in that she pays a bit more attention to her appearance – and her ego – but she’s also meeker, milder, and simply has less spirit! I mean long term readers know it. Agatha has a grumbly exterior. Yes, she’s got a lot of heart, but she’s also got some spicy snark and spite to go with it. Here she’s…gentle. This is the 2nd book in the series since Ms. Beaton passed away. And it’s the 2nd book in the series that no longer reads like Agatha.The tale comes closer to classic Agatha in the middle, pushing the rating closer to 3 stars, but rushes through multiple story lines at the end, delivering outcomes as faits accompli rather than developing the events or bringing the reader along through the investigation. Winning....Cozy fans with a taste for the silly and the offbeat will be gratified. This long-running series shows no signs of losing steam." — Publishers Weekly on Beating About the Bush Doris Simpson - Agatha's ever-present cleaner and good friend, who looks after her cats Hodge and Boswell when she is away.

Beaton, M. C. (2000). Agatha Raisin and the fairies of Fryfam (1sted.). New York: St. Martin's Minotaur. ISBN 0312976267. OCLC 43541341. Okay, I’ll take it from here.” Alice bent over the dead man, feeling for a pulse. “Can you hang around for a while longer? We’ll need a statement from you.” Sir Charles Fraith - friend of Agatha's known for being stingy with his money and regularly uses her house like a hotel; has an on-off sexual relationship with her. As the stories go on they develop deeper feelings, unrealised by either of them.

Find a Book

I love how Simon goes undercover as a garbage collector 😂 That and the animals bit were quite amusing.

Beaton, M. C. (1996). Agatha Raisin and the murderous marriage (1sted.). New York: St. Martin's Press. ISBN 0312961863. OCLC 34699502. The man, who the coroner determines died by poisoning, was known as "the Admiral," a gardener notorious for his heavy drinking, and Chief Inspector Wilkes writes the death off as an accident caused by the consumption of weedkiller stored in a rum bottle. Agatha is not convinced that anyone would mistake weedkiller for rum but carries on with her work at Raisin Investigations, until she receives an anonymous tip that the Admiral’s death was no accident. Well.” Agatha noted the venom in the man’s voice. “He doesn’t have much to say for himself any more, does he?” The main plot (the murder mystery) isn’t developed much & is suddenly explained by Agatha in a “big reveal” at the very end. That’s not my favorite narrative device in mystery novels. ….aaand the villain just admits everything when confronted, way too easily. The narration & dialogue are witty, with a delightful sense of dry humor. I quite enjoyed reading the narration because of that.After taking Agatha’s statement, Alice left to follow the elderly couple to hospital. Agatha walked round the bowling green, taking everything in. She was no stranger to the sight of dead bodies, having become entangled in a number of murder cases, but there was something bizarre about the white-clad figure lying on the grass. She stopped at the clubhouse, where the handful of members who had arrived earlier were watching. Down the Hatch does hit all the marks in terms of the series' touchstones. It at least didn't include the nastiness between Agatha and her regular gang of friends and detective agency employees. It was however somewhat of a dull product, the old sparks just weren't there. That might have been due to lesser antics from regulars such as Roy Silver and Sir Charles Fraith, who usually provided most of the comic relief. There was a nice touch towards the end with Agatha meddling with Detective Sergeant Bill Wong's parental problems, which at least shows some progress from what has been a bizarrely static situation for the entire series to date. It does at least show promise that the series will continue in safe hands and move the characters forward. Agatha reached into her handbag and handed the woman a small plastic bottle of mineral water that was to have been part of her calorie-controlled lunch. She also grabbed her phone, calling for an ambulance while heading towards the man spread-eagled on the grass. She lives in the village of Carsely, but her detective agency Raisin Investigations and the police headquarters where Bill Wong is based are in the nearby town of Mircester. Even though Carsely and Mircester are fictional, they are based on true places; she does, however frequent Evesham, Moreton-in-Marsh, Stow-on-the-Wold, Chipping Campden and other nearby villages quite often. Agatha's first case came when she first moved to Carsely and heard about a quiche competition. She promptly bought a spinach quiche in London from a famous quiche shop and entered it as her own. She was outraged she did not win but later the judge, Reg Cummings-Browne, took another slice and died from cowbane poisoning. Frustrated, Agatha set out to find the poisoner and clear her own name.

Beaton, M. C. (2004). Agatha Raisin and the walkers of Dembley. London: Constable. ISBN 1841197769. OCLC 83482411. Beaton, M. C. (2006). Agatha Raisin and the terrible tourist. London: Robinson. ISBN 1845291840. OCLC 62479127. Don’t talk such rubbish, Stanley Partridge!” A woman with tightly permed white hair tinged a delicate shade of pink stood with her fists clenched in anger. “A drunken monster is what he were—an absolute monster!” Toni Gilmour - hired detective at Agatha's agency, very beautiful, aged eighteen. Agatha is envious of her good looks. As usual Agatha’s love life is a mess. Still contending with her feelings for Sir Charles Fraith and next-door neighbor James Lacey, she must also fend off the unwanted advances of the new coroner.

M. C. Beaton

Be very careful, Mrs. Raisin.” Wilkes wagged a warning finger at her. “I will not tolerate you slandering me in public.” I’ve really no idea, Alice,” Agatha admitted. “I heard that lady scream and rushed in here to find her in a swoon and a corpse on the bowling green.” It seems to me though that the writer has lost that ineffable something (snarkiness? crankiness?) that made Agatha so amusing and special. For instance, remember when she'd dash to fix her make-up whenever a handsome male would cross her path? Gone! And how jealous she has been of Toni's youth and beauty? Now she's okay with being mistaken for mother and daughter. No more deep-seated inferiority complex rearing its ugly head. And now she and James have restarted their relationship with no hint of the friction that always drove them apart. It's as if all her relationships and most of her rough edges have been smoothed over. If you don't mind a toned-down Agatha who has even learned to get along with Charles' butler Gustav, I would recommend this well-written, intriguing mystery.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment