276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Wharfedale - Denton 80th (Red Mahogany)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The treble isn't rolled off, so much as there are frequencies of the upper audio spectrum that are missing (imagine listening to a recording with a clear plastic cup over each ear - that's a more extreme example of what these speakers sound like. They're just missing a lot of top end and some dynamic width. However, what they DO do, they do well. They open up a little with more volume, and become slightly more dynamic due to this). Both speakers are highly capable, with the Dentons leaning more towards a lush presentation and the LS50's offering a more detailed, transparent presentation. And read somewhere that a user found a little adjustment to it, for the ones who have a different taste

Interested in hearing from anyone who wants to share their experiences with either/or, but preferably both sets of speakers. Maybe the 85s solve the top end problem? I had anticipated finding the LS50's to be screaming bright after having been acclimated to the warm-voiced Dentons for the past couple of weeks. What I am finding is both speakers have comparably accurate mids and bass, and both speakers go approximately down to the same bass depth. Both speakers are approximately equal in their efficiency, and both are superb pairings for my 14wpc Fisher, in my 8' x 12' room. I have not been using my subwoofer, nor does one seem necessary with either set of speakers. The Dentons played okay on my 12 watt 6V6 tube amp, but started to give up when the volume crept up or during heavy bass passages. Switching to the 4 ohm tap improved things slightly, but you could still hear the amp straining and not quite waking up the speakers.

I do have for longer time the Denton’s 80th Anv. speakers safely stored in a original box and decided to get them out since I am reconfiguring my second HiFi system. The original Denton was well known for its warm, rich and natural sounding character and the 85th Anniversary Edition retains that character but imbues it with an open, detailed performance that will entice you to explore your whole music collection. I need to find NAD dealer and listen to it again. In the mean time I have bought Pro-ject Pre Box DS2 Analogue (with walnut side panels to match Denton's) from a local HiFi shop and very strongly consider XTZ Edge A2-400 or less expensive A2-300 to pair with Denton's. The other option option that I am eyeing currently is Bruno Putzeys Eigentakt Purifi amp from VTV but still hesitant since I can not evaluate them in person prior buying it. I am so far disappointed in their imaging, which so far sounds very flat and two-dimensional. Even my ancient AR4x's have a better realized soundstage. Again, this very well could change once the speakers burn in. Also just to mention, I have removed solid links at the speaker terminals and biwired the speaker with Canare 4S11 cables.

As others have stated, the rosewood finish on these speakers is rather stunning, much more so in person that how they look on the web. The wood grain pops with wonderful vividness and depth. These speakers are lovely to look at and look "high end." Depending on what it should qualify for. Hifi setups or monitors. The modern Dentons are indeed not allround in performance. They are not monitors and have a signature to them. When it comes to allround, Wharfedale's Diamond 12 series would probably more be there, but for mixing I might leave them for dedicated monitors. Wharfedale founder, Gilbert Briggs' focus on quality and value for money led the company to become one of the most famous loudspeaker manufacturers in the world. The Denton exemplified this through its balance fine craftsmanship, natural sound quality and affordability inside a compact loudspeaker that was bought in millions right across the globe. Anniversary Edition I like to build another system around Wharfedale Denton 80th Anv. speakers and looking to replace above components as I will move those from current to my secondary habitat.

Last friday I made up my mind and might have set the bargain record for a brand new pair after a little negotiation. To mark Wharfedale’s 80th Anniversary, the brand is presenting an anniversary edition of one of its most popular loudspeakers, the Denton. The Denton 80th Anniversary is a classic, bookshelf two-way speaker. Beautifully crafted with hand veneered mahogany, an inset front baffle and traditional Tungsten cloth grille, the updated Denton is a classic update of the original speaker.

With the family out of the way for an hour, I fired up the Thorens TD309 and spun my US copy of Pink Floyd's The Wall. At a higher listening level: within their dynamic limitations, the KEFs do a bit better here too. The busy sound effects come across cleanly and have real depth too. Definition - inner detail and body - are certainly not the best I've heard. These are, after all, no electrostatic speaker or an Altec 604 driver with a time-aligned crossover, but given the price the KEFs are more than acceptable. The old "PRAT" factor is high with lots of toe tapping enjoyment. Bass with the 6.5" driver is good but if you want to go deeper and louder a sub (or a larger Q-series) would be needed.

The LS50's, despite having metal drivers, are not really bright at all, but they definitely have more top-end clarity and extension than the Dentons, but still they capably reproduce whatever midrange lushness is in the source. Indeed, I find them perfectly smooth and 'musical' with tubes, and yet they were forward, crisp, and slightly strident with a (re-capped) '78 Yamaha CR-1020. Their presentation is very much source-dependent, whereas I would expect the Dentons to be more forgiving. (My plan is to eventually use the Dentons with a Pioneer SX-780 that is currently being serviced.) In regards of Rotel I like them better than NAD in regards of reliability but you are right in your assessment that they are bright. Plenty of their amps are bright and need carefully speaker match and also this differentiate from model to model. Unfortunately, what's true in life applies the same to recordings. Garbage in garbage out. I've thrown CDs away in frustration due the inability to listen to them as they re mastered it horribly. It has the same warmth and same quirk in sound improvements, as in that it performs a bit better with the grilles on. This is caused by the tweeter and woofer that are placed slightly in depth behind the edges of the cabinet. With the grilles kind of functioning as a corrector. Same as with the Lintons which are basically the giant version. was considering NAD C 326BEE or C 375BEE but since plenty of them have power module issues I have dropped those two)

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment