276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Enchanted Wood: 1 (The Magic Faraway Tree)

£3.495£6.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I love this book! It will probably be a classic one day..but it is still super funny! I love all the characters because they are all so different and unique. It's an odd book. The children have a deeply unconvincing home life and never appear to go to school. Their parents hardly ever let them have five minutes free of chores, but when they do they're happy to let the kids (as young as 7) stay out to midnight in the woods in the company of old men they haven't met. The children looked up into the broad, leafy boughs of the tree. They felt tremendously excited. The Faraway Tree in the Enchanted Wood! Oh, what magic there seemed to be in the very names!

Let's sit down under that old oak tree over there," said Jo. "It's all soft moss beneath. It will be like sitting on a green velvet cushion." Some' don't now appreciate the way the brother, Jo [not Joe], who was also apparently the oldest of the three children, seemed always to be in charge of his two sisters. Being the oldest, why wouldn’t he be more responsible for his two sister’s well-being. Is this why she's now marked as a sexist? According to the Index Translationum, Blyton was the fifth most popular author in the world in 2007, coming after Lenin but ahead of Shakespeare.

Enid Blyton Card Games

I have a newer version, so names have been changed from Jo, Bess and Fanny to Joe, Beth and Frannie. I have mixed feelings about the update. I understand why some people would object to Fanny in particular. It's the loss of Bessie that I find saddest as it was updated because Bess/Bessie has fallen out of fashion. While I like the name Beth too, I don't see the issue with an old-fashioned children's book maintaining an older style of name. I thought this was my all time favourite whilst growing up. When I first read it when I was 9 I thought it was magical and even after all these years it has fond memories for me and will forever be in my book of happy memories . Dame Slap, who runs a school for bad pixies which, in some of the adventures, the friends accidentally land in. Her name has been updated in later revisions of the book to Dame Snap. The first title of the main trilogy, The Enchanted Wood, was published in 1939, although the Faraway Tree and Moon-Face had already made a brief appearance in 1936 in The Yellow Fairy Book. A picture-strip book, Up the Faraway Tree, was published in 1951. Over the years, the Faraway Tree stories have been illustrated by various artists including Dorothy M. Wheeler (first editions), Rene Cloke, Janet and Anne Grahame Johnstone, and Georgina Hargreaves. [1] The Enchanted Wood [ edit ] First edition, 1939 First edition, 1943 First edition, 1946 Jo, and his two sisters, Bessie and Fannie, discover their very own Enchanted Wood, and meet new friends Silky the Fairy, Moon-Face and the Saucepan Man who all live in the magical Faraway Tree.

The Faraway Tree is a series of popular novels for children by British author Enid Blyton. The titles in the series are The Enchanted Wood (1939), The Magic Faraway Tree (1943), The Folk of the Faraway Tree (1946) and Up the Faraway Tree (1951). Enid Blyton is one of the most-loved authors in children's publishing. With over 700 titles published, Enid Blyton's stories remain timeless classics, adored by children throughout the world.

In a fright the brownies all leapt up. The gnome jumped to his feet and sped off with the bag. The brownies stared after him in dismay, not one of them following him. The robber ran towards the children's bush. He didn't know they were there. The Enchanted Wood has been censored by an anonymous politically correct brigade, which is unfortunate. More of that later. The concept of the Faraway Tree was brilliant. A magical tree where magical beings live was a great idea, but having various lands come to the top of the tree was a stroke of genius. You've worked well, all of you, and you deserve a picnic. I'll cut you some sandwiches, and you can take a bottle of milk." They explored all round about. They ran across a field where pink clover was full of bees. They paddled in a small brown stream that chattered away to itself under the willow trees in the sunshine.

The gnome has got into whatever place there is at the top of the tree today," said the biggest brownie. "He may live there for months and never come down again. It's no good waiting for him—and it's certainly no good going after him. His name is Creepy, because he is forever creeping about quietly." We recommend leaving plenty of additional time for your journey due to the SGN roadworks on the A9.

One-off Picture Story Books

Three books make up the Faraway Tree trilogy by Enid Blyton: The Enchanted Wood, The Magic Faraway Tree and The Folk of the Faraway Tree. For many, they are the most magical of the stories that Enid Blyton wrote, and their first introduction to the author. I love this story. It is very interesting. I like the way she wrote the story. But I think the author dint involve the sisters much. But it's amazing. The Faraway Tree Series written by the much beloved Enid Blyton was one of my favorite book series when I was a kid. In fact, I’d be wrong to say it was. The book still is, and will always be very close to my heart. She is very much out of favor these days, but Enid Blyton's old-fashioned adventure books are still popular in many countries like India and Australia. Children still enjoy her books, while adults frown at their “racism” and “sexism”. I must admit that I devoured her books as a child, and I don’t think I’m any the worse for it. But quite the most enchanting books she has ever written have got to be The Faraway Tree series: The Enchanted Wood, The Magic Faraway Tree and The Folk of the Faraway Tree. Three children living near an enchanted wood discover an enormous tree peopled with fairy folk, at the very top of which is a ladder that leads to a different magical land every few days. What’s not to love? I used to pretend that I was Bessie or Fanny and had been invited to eat google buns (possibly the first ever use of the word google?) and pop biscuits by Silky and Moonface.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment