276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Goblin Corps

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The threadbare layer of carpeting over the floor was worn as full of holes as an old sock, and whatever color it might once have boasted had long been trampled into an unassuming, colorless gray. More than anything, the underlaying sardonic tone of his writing is closer to Sam Sykes' style as are the band of bickering characters. And when placed before a substantially more vivid backdrop of a fantasy world setting and its “NPCs”, the goblins in demon squad feel like mere cardboard cutouts.

Gremlins and ogres, trolls and kobolds all made their homes here, in this last refuge from the sprawling mass of "civilization. It's an entertaining 'Lord of the Rings' version, but from the bad guys' point of view, on what happened after the destruction of the One Ring.Engaging characters, well-done action scenes, character development and world building both deeper than they may at first appear, and solid plotting that was gearing up towards several interesting and exciting resolutions. Egal, ob Ork, Troll, Kobold oder Schrecklicher; ob man gerade metzelt, plündert oder stiehlt – will man überleben, lässt man alles stehen und liegen und tut, was der alte Knacker befiehlt. The trees had begun to thin considerably as they moved south, and the Brimstone Mountains, though miles away, completely dominated the horizon. In fact, I was hoping that the epilogue would answer the question and continue with the semi-overarching philosophical question that permeates the book because we are following the traditional 'bad guys.

It’s a long-standing tradition in the genre, pre-dating even Tolkien and Lewis, hailing back to epic tales of Beowulf and the tales of the Greek heroes: the forces of good fight to defeat the forces of evil. There was an actual finale and it was epic and grand and I'm just going to ignore the actual conclusion. The armies of Kirol Syrreth muster to meet the attack that is sure to come as soon as the snows have melted from the mountain paths, but their numbers are sorely depleted. The impenetrable walls, adorned with an uncountable array of skulls from dozens of races, seemed to shift in the fluctuating light—and perhaps they did, guided by the fickle moods of their lord and master. The banter initially illicits chuckles because the words/phrases are humorous; but the banter becomes all the more effective as the characters become more familiar and the cadence of their dialogue is more fluid.

His work includes scripts, novels, short stories, role-playing games, and video games, all of which he enjoyed in lieu of school work when growing up. Ari has his own style which he is perfecting, and if he can continue writing books like The Conqueror’s Shadow and The Goblin Corps, then I wouldn’t be surprised if exciting new fantasy authors were one day compared to Ari Marmell. If you ever wished that Brandon Sanderson or David Eddings could be a tad bitter more realistic in content, or Scott Lynch and Joe Abercrombie a tad bit funnier then you will love the way that Marmell has struck a wonderful balance between the two.

A top-heavy sword, wickedly serrated, hung casually at his side, the leather-wrapped hilt permanently stained by the acrid sweat of his palms.Ich bin ein großer Fan davon, die traditionell „bösen“ Völker der Fantasy in den Mittelpunkt zu stellen und sie als Helden zu inszenieren. But despite some teasing later in the book about the possibility of the team concluding 'those humans aren't so different from us' - there's no such payoff to be had. that's not really my cup of tea, and having finished the book I'm feeling somewhat disappointed about having given this one a flyer / but that's not me arguing that this isn't a book for anyone. The ancient evil listened, expressionless, as Havarren explained current events beyond the Brimstone Mountains.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment