276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Fortunately, the Milk . . .: Neil Gaiman

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Families can talk about whether mothers and fathers have different ideas about parenting. Why do they consider some household chores very important and others less so? If you don't get it, please do some memory tests, since you have to get it, you just read it less than hour ago! It's a fun children's or early middle-grade story, and the illustrations absolutely make it. This would be a great read-aloud book for kids who like wildly imaginative adventures. I'm sure Gaiman fans will wax poetically about the story's grand and imaginative plot. But I just can't. It's an okay story. I would tell parents to get it and read it to kids at bedtime. But it isn't something I would actively promote.

I bought the milk," said my father. "I walked out of the corner shop, and heard a noise like this: t h u m m t h u m m. I looked up and saw a huge silver disc hovering in the air above Marshall Road." Guilty as charged Your Highness," I confessed. "I thought everyone would like it and think I was clever. But I guess all it has ended up being is a waste of a morning when I have more productive things to do. I could have gone to the bookstore instead. Hang on, that was in the review universe not the real universe. Now things are getting silly."I think this is a very good book and it deserves 5 stars, which I have drawn here (because it meant I could stay on the iPad for longer. :) ) Father was actually lying about it as he got late in coming or he was telling the truth? I have a very confused feeling about it.

I left in a huff and a grumble, mumbling things about prescription lenses and Vampire Weekend being a good band anyway. You will find "Neil Gaiman, the wonderful dad that wrote a story to entertain for an hour to his children and the children of all the world." No matter how much other characters assist your heroes, ultimately, they must find their own way. This is true in Fortunately, the Milk, when the father must save himself, and it's also true for Bod in The Graveyard Book, for the heroine of Coraline, and for the boy hero of Ocean. Why is that important to you as an author? Hullo," I said to myself. "That's not something you see every day. And then something odd happened."

I think because for me the challenge as an author is in making somebody believable and letting them find their own way through things. I love though that in Fortunately, the Milk when the father does actually save himself and, quite possibly, the universe, all anybody is really impressed with is the milk, and they fail to notice it's him. Oh, absolutely. One hundred percent. My safest places were libraries, manned or unmanned by librarians. My teachers were books. They taught me to look out through other people's eyes, which is the most important thing that anything like that can do.

His two kids are pretty dubious but willing to go along with it for the most part ("Hang on. Piranhas are a freshwater fish. What are they doing in the sea?"). And occasionally they have requests for ponies or "handsome, misunderstood wumpires" to be in the story. Probably my own personal belief that I don't get to see everything going on all the time. And the more you study anything, the more you realize there are huge unseen worlds going on at any point, whether you're reading books about quantum physics, where you learn that actually, more or less, we are all a bunch of hypothetical particles with an awful lot of space between us, or whether it's studying Henry Mayhew and London labor and the London poor and realizing all of these strange, secret worlds that would've been completely invisible to somebody navigating the streets of London. All worlds are 50% unseen.at the end of May in New York City, Neil Gaiman gave a talk provocatively titled "Why Fiction Is Dangerous." He noted that he had two books--Fortunately, the Milk and The Ocean at the End of the Lane --being published within two months of each other: one, a children's book with an adult narrator; the other an adult book from a seven-year-old's perspective. Gaiman recently paused during his cross-country U.S. tour for the books to answer a few questions about them (plus a few other things). Born and raised in England, Gaiman now lives in the U.S. with his wife, musician Amanda Palmer. Gaiman and Young are a wonderful team where the words of Neil make a perfect amalgam to the drawings of Scottie. In the ending, children felt that their father was lying about his adventures as they remembered the similarities between their father's story and their paintings. I returned to the bus-stop which which was covered, unfortunately the covering did not seem to be designed to keep the rain off, rather to concentrate the droplets and deposit them upon the head of a waiting passenger. I was soon joined by another hopeful passenger, an old lady who smelt of wet cardboard and boiled sweets. Eventually we emerged through an archway into the light of day. It was a garden, a very intricate garden with topiary animals and paths of white gravel. Oh no, I thought, an Alice in Wonderland pastiche by a person who has never read the book and only seen the Disney film. But hang on, how did I know that having only seen the film and never read the book?

I'm not even sure what my process is and I've been doing this for 30 years. Normally, at some point, I will pull open a notebook and I will start writing stuff and that's always the beginning of the process. At the end of the day, if you're writing something that's novel length or is probably likely to turn into novel length, the process is going to consist of faffing around in the morning, getting your exercise done, maybe eating a light lunch and then going somewhere that you won't be disturbed, opening a notebook and writing. And, wherever that place is, that's going to be the process. It's going to be putting down the words. But can I plead my case Your Majesty?"I asked. "I do not know why I am here and what I have been accused of. And, by the way, I thought you were meant to be a Queen." There was something very good about this book. It was an ‘enhanced edition’ which means that the writer reads the book out loud to you while you read it! This writer is a good reader and he didn’t sound at all like the dalek voice that normally comes out of the Kindle. Mum said I could stay on the iPad if I wanted to draw a picture of the writer reading the book. But I can’t draw good faces so I drew a picture of the Kindle talking. Then I labeled it ‘Kindle’ because Mum asked what it was. Oh you did it didn't you? You've gone and bought them. Well you'll not get that Neal's book from here", he scorned. A fun recommended read for any and all adventurers and time traveling fans. And as always—a must read for Gaiman fans! I never know where he will take me.Update: The fourth grade kids are now Grade 8 students (that is unbelievable enough - they must have opened that door that let in the time-space-continuum!), and they still refer to the time when I read "Fortunately the milk..." aloud to the class. I would say that is the best praise a children's book can get. "Then the milk touches the milk" has become an insider saying! Either the universe will end, or we will be watching the madness of dwarves with flower pots go on for a while still.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment