276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Uprooted: A Novel

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Also, one of my favourite things was the creepy Wood - a literally evil forest that is alive with a dark corruption that will claim you if you ever enter it, or get touched by one of the monstrous beings that come out of the Wood. How weird and creative and scary... I LOVED it. So let’s talk about the woods. The woods are the antagonist in this story. It’s a novel idea, one that made this feel like a dark fairy tale. I loved that; it worked. It more than worked it was rather brilliant. But it could have been better. I think a prelude demonstrating the dark nature of it would have helped to establish it as a real threat, rather than an irrational fear, very early on. Then there’s how the wood ended. Now that was so very disappointing! It was too fast. One minute the wood is practically an invincible enemy, the next it’s defeated in vague circumstances. It was just too fast to be effective! The Hunger Games still deserves a spot on this list for the legacy it carved out, and for the fact that it remains one of my personal favourite YA fantasy series’ (and film series’). Those ten years are almost up and Agnieszka knows that her best friend Kasia will be the next girl chosen by the Dragon.

Books Like Uprooted — 7 Fantasy Books To Add To Your List Books Like Uprooted — 7 Fantasy Books To Add To Your List

Uprooted has everything I love: a great heroine, new takes on old myths and legends, and surprising twists and turns. A delight.” —Cassandra Clare, New York Times bestselling author of The Mortal Instruments series Gideon the Ninth follows the titular Gideon, a girl born into servitude who works for her planet’s leader: another young woman named Harrowhark. This was actually my first introduction to Abercrombie’s works and forever holds a special place in my heart.

Lonely Castle in the Mirror is one of those YA fantasy books that treads big thematic ground, exploring issues of individual identity, self-doubt, bullying, isolation, camaraderie, self-expression, and more. It’s a thematically beautiful, yet accessible YA novel. But when Vasilisa’s new stepmother prevents the family from honoring the household spirits, their village appears to fall under a curse. Dark spirits draw closer, and Vasilisa must discover her own powers to keep her family safe. Agnieszka finds her magical powers behave differently from those of the Dragon. She relies on intuition to guide her through spells. It’s also this intuition and vision that help her solve the problem of the Wood Queen, and restore peace. Corruption And Power Kiran Millwood Hargrave is a fantastic writer who uses crisp, colourful imagery, beautiful metaphors, and imaginative wordplay to bring her stories and characters to life, whether these stories are children’s, YA, or adult lit. No writer could have done a better job at writing an origin story for the brides of Dracula. Lonely Castle in the Mirror by Mizuki Tsujimura Shattered Sea is my favourite YA fantasy trilogy and a must-read for fantasy fans, YA or otherwise. The Cat Who Saved Books by Sosuke Natsukawa

Uprooted: Family Trauma, Unknown Origins, and the Secretive Uprooted: Family Trauma, Unknown Origins, and the Secretive

Every 10 years, the Dragon is gifted a woman from the village. And this time, it’s Agnieszka he chooses. This is a truly charming series of YA fantasy books. Reminiscent of the X-Men comics, and having a manga-inspired tone and atmosphere, they ooze charm and comfort while also being unapologetically dark in places. This island is home to the Raxter School for Girls, which has been put under quarantine after the breakout of a virus called the Tox. The Tox has taken the lives of several students and teachers, and those who haven’t died have been physically mutated in painful and gruesome ways.

a b Mann, Catherine (2 February 2016). "Uprooted. Book Review". British Fantasy Society . Retrieved 12 November 2022. The first half of this book is so lovely. When Agnieszka arrives at the Dragon’s tower, she initially struggles with his attitude towards her, his moods, and her own inability to cope. What I love about this relationship is that Agnieszka constantly refuses to work within the confines the Dragon sets out for her. She pursues numerous little acts of rebellion. Then, when danger arises in another village while the Dragon is dealing with something else, she doesn’t hesitate: she takes matters into her own hands, proving herself heroic.

Must-Read YA Fantasy Books (and Series) 22 Must-Read YA Fantasy Books (and Series)

These creatures are known as nightmares, and they are born from the dreams of sleeping spirits. These spirits are dotted around the world, and Winnie’s town is home to the American Luminaries. An Ember in the Ashes is set in a world controlled by the aptly named Martial Empire. Reminiscent of Star Wars, and leaning comfortably on the tropes of YA fantasy (academy setting, budding romance, morally grey good-and-bad-guys), this is a YA fantasy series through and through. Genevieve Valentine, reviewing the book in The New York Times, writes that the coming-of-age tale is a "messier" story, deeper than the "bright, forthright" and somewhat mythic teenage books that it might call to mind. In her view, Novik "skillfully takes the fairy-tale-turned- bildungsroman structure of her premise" and develops it into "a very enjoyable fantasy with the air of a modern classic." [16] A very enjoyable fantasy with the air of a modern classic . . . Naomi Novik skillfully takes the fairy-tale-turned-bildungsroman structure of her premise . . . and builds enough flesh on those bones to make a very different animal. . . . The vivid characters around her also echo their fairy-tale forebears, but are grounded in real-world ambivalence that makes this book feel quietly mature, its world lived-in.” — The New York Times Book ReviewHe has a strong command of tone and character writing through his manipulation of language that really impresses. The novel moves at a surprisingly relaxed pace, taking its time to build relationships between our seven characters and unveil their individual stories as it goes. The urban fantasy approach is also unique amongst YA fantasy books, blending fairy tale aesthetics with real-world issues and events. Her people rely on the cold, driven wizard known only as the Dragon to keep its powers at bay. But he demands a terrible price for his help: one young woman handed over to serve him for ten years, a fate almost as terrible as falling to the Wood. I don't think I can do it alone," I said. I had a feeling the Summoning wasn't really meant to be cast alone: as if truth didn't mean anything without someone to share it with.” Together, these are two of the most exciting YA fantasy books to come out of Japan, or anywhere in the world for that matter.

Uprooted: How 3000 Years of Jewish Civilization in the Arab Uprooted: How 3000 Years of Jewish Civilization in the Arab

The world she finds herself in is a castle inspired by European fairy tales, and it’s there she finds herself amongst six other Japanese boys and girls of a similar age, all of which are currently skipping school. For several years now, YA fantasy authors have carved out a beloved and celebrated niche in the world of fantasy and science fiction literature. Everyone knows that sorcery is evil. For Elisabeth, the dangers of sorcery are an everyday presence, as she resides in the Great Library at Austermeer, between magical grimoires that transform into monsters.One of the draws to Uprooted for many readers is sure to be Agnieszka, the protagonist that guides us through the story as she discovers her own strengths along the way. She has both a magical strength and a growing strength in her own convictions. Home And Family Strange the Dreamer and its sequel, Muse of Nightmares, is Oregon-based author Laini Taylor’s third foray into the world of YA fantasy books and, according to most fans, it represents her most accomplished work to date.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment