276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Charming as a Verb

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

He’s incredibly driven and committed to his future, as well as part of an ambitious immigrant family focused on truly making it. Charming As A Verb is a great book for those trying to figure out the next steps after school—we've all been there. Her steadiness balances out Henri’s personality, and I liked reading about their relationship and the way it grew over time. It’s a book that will make you laugh, will speak to a piece of your fears, and remind you of your own mistakes. You can change your choices at any time by visiting Cookie preferences, as described in the Cookie notice.

I don't really have many complaints because this story is written in a way where you know what's happening, but you also know that it could have been written better. When he got in, he said something along the line of “ I finally got to see the Mainland” and it just… hits. However, I really appreciated that with something that big, it wasn’t just brushed aside or neatly taken care of. Some folks have complained about the lack of romance in this one but I loved the two together and it is billed as a romantic comedy, so the romance isn’t intended to be the main focus. I have all this praise for this book, but the only reason this isn't a 5-star for me is the main conflict.

Yep, I still haven't given up on writing reviews for all the books I read this year, even when I'm ridiculously behind, ahh. I especially enjoyed the way Henri's ambition was described as well and contrasted to Corrinne and her mother.

I really wish that we could have had a dual POV with Corinne and Henri because I think it would have added so much more to the story.Anyone who is going through or has ever experienced the college admissions process will be able to relate to Henri's struggle. I can see that Henri is actually a people person though, so seeing him referring his actual skills as a “hustle” really puzzles me.

Considering his family’s lower economic status and the limited job opportunities for high schoolers, I understand his reasoning behind this method of circumventing his disadvantages. I will say that the genre makes me think of more lighthearted reads and this one comes with a punch. This book explores the pressures teens experience during the college application process, and how the expectations of their parents can add a layer of stress to an already tense situation.A witty, well-developed bildungsroman that presents a Black teenager carefully attempting to navigate systems that disproportionately disadvantage him. So in short, I feel like demanding to have MORE interaction FIRST to get us all on board with Henri liking Corinne.

The protagonist and his love interest are dynamic and relatable — you’ll be rooting for them by the end of the story. I love cute romantic books because not only do they make me feel all warm and gooey inside, they also make me regret being a single gay bitch with no friends.Philippe perfectly describes the self-doubts, the fear that you might not be good enough, questioning what you're willing to do to make your goals come true. But one that illustrates its depths as Henri navigates being a first generation child of immigrants with their own dreams. I really appreciated his arc when it came to accepting and moving past said pressure and realizing what he wanted to do with his life.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment