276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Did You Hear About Kitty Karr?: A Novel

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Kitty Kar! : She is a main character that shines and feels real. I understood her motives, her fears, her actions, and I empathized with her every step of the way. Kitty is truly THAT girl. The author has a way of not allowing you to sympathize with characters without presenting the painful facts. Only then you can choose to form your opinions on the characters.

A distant relative has provided the means for Delia and Nora to go to New York. Delia will be a lowly maid in a modest household, while Nora will be governess for a well-to-do family. In Queenstown, Cork, they board the Titanic, a majestic new ocean liner making its maiden voyage. Any hope Delia carried that she and her sister might become closer during the trip soon vanishes. For there are far greater perils to contend with as the ship makes its way across the Atlantic . . . I felt Kitty’s storyline overall was very strong and engaging. This is truly the heartbeat of the novel. Kitty’s Choices Reflecting on the portrayal of strong female characters, such as Kitty, Elise, and Hazel, what messages does the book convey about women’s resilience, agency, and the pursuit of their own dreams? Discuss the importance of female relationships and the ways in which they support and shape the characters’ journeys. Kitty was Elise’s next door neighbor and two develop a special bond. And even when she learns the truth about Kitty—that she was her real grandmother—Elise never blames her for her decisions. While at the same time, Elise is frustrated with her mother and her absence during childhood. Why do you think Elise forgave Kitty but it’s harder for her to come to terms with her mother?So I’m curious to hear what are people’s overall impression of Kitty. Especially when she makes some crucial decisions in the novel. Verdict Kitty eventually embarks on a romance with the studio head, Nathan. Do you feel they were actually in love? Why or why not? Kitty gets somewhat settled into her job at the Hollywood studio and she eventually meets a makeup artist who is also passing. This introduces her to a network of women, both passing and not, who are working to help those suffering through the Jim Crow South. Let’s talk about our thoughts about the sections dedicated to this work by the women.

The sequel to It Ends With Us (2016) shows the aftermath of domestic violence through the eyes of a single mother. With a Master’s degree in Journalism from New York University, Crystal has made her mark in the digital media landscape, with her writing featured in esteemed publications such as Salon, Jezebel, and The Huffington Post. Her insightful storytelling sheds light on the deep-rooted impact of racial violence and its ability to fracture families, as well as the intricacies of colorism within family relationships. For Kitty, she feels she’s left with no choice. In her opinion, events in her life happen to her and she has to figure out how to move forward. What’s interesting is a character says to Elise in the present that he doesn’t believe that—there’s always a choice to be made. The truth behind Kitty's ascent to stardom from her beginnings in the segregated South threatens to expose a web of unexpected family ties, debts owed, and debatable crimes that could, with one pull, unravel the all-American fabric of the St. John sisters and those closest to them. The novel is told through different timelines and perspectives—mainly Kitty in the past and Elise in the present. Did you like the use of multiple timelines? Were you more engaged with one timeline over the other?

Did You Hear About Kitty Karr?

How does the revelation of Kitty Karr’s hidden past impact Elise St. John and her perception of her own choices? Discuss the significance of uncovering secrets and the power they hold over the characters. Chapters in the Past: The past and the lead up to the present were chapters that held my attention and kept me reading. Super readable and easy to binge as I wanted to know more! Throughout our discussion, we’ll delve into the tangled secrets of Kitty’s rise to stardom, shining a light on the unexpected connections and challenges faced by the St. John sisters and those closest to them. And while we’re uncovering these hidden truths, we’ll also have the chance to reflect on our own choices and the power of secrets in our lives. It’s a journey of self-discovery that we can all relate to on some level.

From the acclaimed author of The Girls of Ennismore comes a captivating and extraordinary tale of perseverance and bravery. This touching saga of sisterhood—perfect for fans of Fiona Davis and Marie Benedict—follows two young Irish women yearning for independence and adventure, as they set sail on RMS Titanic—the “ship of dreams”—only to be faced with the tragedy of that fabled maiden voyage… Three woman who join together to rent a large space along the beach in Los Angeles for their stores—a gift shop, a bakery, and a bookstore—become fast friends as they each experience the highs, and lows, of love. Elise St. John, a modern-day celebrity, is caught up in scandals and controversies while trying to uncover the truth about Kitty’s past. How do her personal struggles and conflicts reflect the larger themes of power, privilege, and the pursuit of authenticity? Discuss the choices Elise makes and the consequences they have on her relationships and self-discovery. How did the author’s narrative structure and storytelling techniques contribute to your overall engagement with the book? Did they effectively convey the intended messages or create a unique reading experience?

Chapters in the "Present": The present chapters are my least favorite part of the book. The St. John sisters are hard to relate to, and having them already millionaires who weren't truly affected by Kitty's gift made me want to care less about them. Overall these chapters just dragged as again we're introduced to more unhappy, unmemorable characters.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment