276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Clytemnestra

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

About this book (blurb from Exclusive Books) Translated from Japanese by Geoffrey Trousselot, Toshikazu Kawaguchi’s beautiful, moving Before the Coffee Gets Cold explores the age-old question: what would you change if you could travel back in time?

The thing I appreciated the most is how she manages to convey the feelings of the characters; in particular I loved how the relationship between Clytemnestra and Helen is represented. She endures much abuse, loss and grief, including the senseless murder of her first husband and infant son. This trend continued in her marriage to Agamemnon, the king of Mycenae, who, to satisfy the gods before the Trojan war, sacrifices their daughter Iphigenia. The novel is perfect for those interested in learning more about a misunderstood figure in Greek mythology, and Casati will be an author to watch in the years to come. From one of Greek mythology’s most reviled characters—a woman who challenged the absolute power of men—comes this fiery tale of power, family rivalry and a mother’s burning love.

But to have a few moments of happiness, lightning tearing the darkness of the sky, that is worth it. Simple metaphors illustrate how Clytemnestra differs from her more famous sibling (“Clytemnestra dances for herself; Helen dances for others”), and the author demonstrates her hero’s agency and strength with such scenes as Clytemnestra killing a wild lynx. Other than reading Circe, by Madeline Miller, it’s been ages since I read up on any Greek mythology. The story opens in Sparta, with Clytemnestra and her brothers and sisters growing up in the highly disciplined court of Tyndareus. The author creates a graphic and immersive world, spanning decades and continents, filled with vivid descriptions of the setting and characters.

She has a degree in journalism from Napier University and, in preparation for writing her novels, gained a diploma in classical studies from the Open University. I loved that we learned about Clytemnestra's story from her own perspective, it was so powerful and real. I can barely remember the Greek myths I read as a child and have enjoyed rediscovering them through books like this. Like other Spartan women, Clytemnestra and her sisters are taught to fight, run and wrestle as children and grow up enjoying more independence and freedom than women elsewhere in Ancient Greece. Of course, the myths made mention of the fact that she had lost a child (depending on the version you read she may have lost two) at the hands of this man, but apparently, this is not reason enough to kill him, or want him dead.Not to mention Clytemnestra herself is definitely not perfect — she has definite favourites, preferring Iphigenia over Electra and Orestes. richly drawn and lovingly rendered, Casati's Clystemnestra is a brilliant, fierce woman placed, again and again, in untenable circumstances. Clytemnestra’s Bind is incredibly well-written, told from her point of view and portraying Clytemnestra in a very realistic way. With regards to the style, she remains faithful to the much-loved metaphors and figures of speech widely used in the Omeric poems, while at the same time maintaining a fresh, fast-paced prose that will keep you on the edge until the end.

I paired my reading with the excellent audio narration by Olivia Vinall which truly enhanced my experience. If her message is cryptic in that moment, it becomes increasingly clear as the two princesses grow older and face one betrayal after another. Like her sister, Helen was a character given so much more depth and nuance than in the original tale. It seems as if you at one time said you didn’t really like novels set in ancient or mythic times, but maybe I’m thinking of someone else. Growing up, the princesses of Sparta train in wrestling, spear-throwing and sword-fighting, and are relatively able to do as they please.

Growing up as a princess of Sparta, she was privy to the horrors of war and the brutality of men, especially that of her father and brothers. Ablaze with moments of deep tenderness and visceral ferocity , Casati's Clytemnestra gives the phrase 'fight like a girl' its rightfully heroic and empowering meaning! Casati’s careful consideration of different perspectives allows the reader to sympathize deeply with Clytemnestra.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment