276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Complete MAUS, english edition: Art Spiegelman

£8.495£16.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Frahm, Ole (May 2004). "Considering MAUS. Approaches to Art Spiegelman's "Survivor's Tale" of the Holocaust by Deborah R. Geis (ed.)". Image & Narrative (8). ISSN 1780-678X . Retrieved January 30, 2012. Ostensibly about the Holocaust, the story entwines with the frame tale of Art interviewing and interacting with his father. Art's "Prisoner on the Hell Planet" is also encompassed by the frame, and stands in visual and thematic contrast with the rest of the book as the characters are in human form [52] in a surreal, German Expressionist woodcut style inspired by Lynd Ward. [123] Fronczek, Mel. "Defense of 'Maus' erupts online after McMinn County schools remove it from curriculum". The Tennessean. Nashville. Meskin, Aaron; Cook, Roy T., eds. (2012). The Art of Comics: A Philosophical Approach. John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 978-1-4443-3464-7.

Weiner, Stephen (2003). Faster than a Speeding Bullet: The Rise of the Graphic Novel. NBM Publishing. ISBN 978-1-56163-368-5.Vladek. He reminded me of my Grandfather, a little. I loved my Grandfather and I loved Vladek. His story, as told to his son Art Spiegelman, was one of the most powerful stories I've ever experienced. Antagonist: German soldiers and hostile Polish civilians are obvious antagonists for the Jews who are struggling to survive amidst persecution. However, the story also explores the many ways in which Jewish people — and others were who suffered alongside them in concentration camps and in war-torn Poland — harm and undermine one another in moments of desperation. Though Vladek and Anja are beneficiaries of amazing acts of kindness and humanity, and often do their best to help others in return, Maus shows clearly how danger and privation breed selfishness and callousness.

Smith, Russ (July 30, 1999). "When Controversy Ralls the Comics World". Jewish World Review . Retrieved February 19, 2014. Kannenberg, Gene Jr. (February 1999). Groth, Gary (ed.). "#4: Maus". The Comics Journal. Fantagraphics Books (210). ISSN 0194-7869. I hadn’t expected that roughly half of this book is actually about Art coming to terms with what his parents endured, with his issues making art about the Holocaust and making money (not to mention getting famous) off this work he feels incredibly uneasy about. There was a history of depression and possible mental illness in his family (you learn early on that this mother was depressive and committed suicide) that their history probably amplified. He uses an interesting meta approach to discuss this, illustrating conversations with his wife and therapist, to illustrate that the experience of creating this graphic novel was a struggle on many different levels. This harrowing portrait of the multi-generational consequences of war is probably what gutted me most as I read this: even long after the bombs stopped dropping, damage continues to be inflicted on people who weren’t even born during the war because of the unimaginable reality their parents had to survive.Defense of 'Maus' erupts online after McMinn County schools remove it from curriculum". Yahoo. January 28, 2022. I mean, while I agree that Jew Holocaust isn’t a humorous matter, I supposed that it would be some “imaginative” use of places, tools, terms, etc… taking in account that the story was full of mice, cats and even pigs (with some frog or dog, here and there). Gordon, Andrew (Spring 2004). "Jewish Fathers and Sons in Spiegelman's Maus and Roth's Patrimony". ImageText. 1 (1). ISSN 1549-6732 . Retrieved February 1, 2012.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment