276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Body Shop Born Lippy Pot Lip Balm Strawberry 10ml

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Sometimes it’s hard to be a woman and sometimes it’s time to be a hard woman. This is a book for those times.” Or so the publishers of Jo Brand’s anthology of memoirish self-help, for those seeking advice on “How To Do Female”, would suggest. When Brand does deal with feminism in a chapter that proposes a “Re-Branding” of the word, it predominantly offers a slightly patronising synopsis of feminist waves and suggests that feminists should learn to communicate better with each other and remember we are all on the same side. It’s an important point but Brand shies away from really building an argument, or offering guidance, to women as to how to progress the feminist debate. With so much incredibly well-informed, intelligent discourse happening on this subject today, readers deserve more in a book positioning itself as one that aims to help. Conversational tone I love Jo Brand's stand up, but for me, this book fell short. Not very well structured or written and loaded with contradictions.

British single certifications – Underworld – Born Slippy". British Phonographic Industry . Retrieved 7 January 2022. As well as writing about, as her subtitle says, ‘How to Do Female’, she touches on issues that can have a huge impact on the lives of both men and women, albeit from a deliberate and more or less completely female perspective. And some of the areas she covers are foreign territory not only to me as a male, but to women like my wife, as we have no children of our own. Being a woman...all the trials and tribulations. Entertaining, especially read in the mindset of being read to by Jo Brand. There are some witty observations and biographical information but, that aside, she doesn't say anything new. Some of the chapters seem added for padding and are rather generic life lessons. Sometimes it’s hard to be a woman and sometimes it’s time to be a hard woman . . . This is a book for all those times. Born Lippy events also often feature poetry slams, a friendly yet competitive space for new poets to test material and develop performance skills. “By combining these elements, we aim to expand access to artists from interconnected disciplines, creating a one-stop shop for ‘all things wordy’. We provide a platform for new and established artists from across the UK to explore place, identity and hope in a joyful way that connects people.”Born Slippy .NUXX" is a song by the British electronic music group Underworld. It was first released as the B-side to " Born Slippy", in May 1995. The fragmented lyrics describe the perspective of an alcoholic. One of the most perplexing aspects of this book is how little is aimed at women in particular, despite its How To Do Female manifesto. The common-sense advice offered on subjects such as coping with bullies, surviving dysfunctional families and not falling in love is relevant to all members of the species although it is hard to envision many men choosing to read it in light of its positioning. Music & Media 1996 in Review – Year End Sales Charts" (PDF). Music & Media. Vol.13, no.51/52. 21 December 1996. p.12 . Retrieved 4 February 2020. My better half bought me this book and I didn't want it to end, so I’ve tried as long as possible reading little snippets and now it's finished. ☹️ Once upon a (very, very) long time ago Jo Brand was what you might describe as "a nice little girl". Of course, that was before the values of cynicism, misogyny and the societal expectation that Jo would be thin, feminine and demure sent her off down Arsey Avenue.

British single certifications – Underworld – Born Slippy". British Phonographic Industry . Retrieved 7 September 2020. Brand’s adult perspectives do seem dominated by a legacy of negative experiences, mostly around the nexus of issues around women’s bodies, beauty, and weight. Her professional success has enabled her to salvage some positives from it all, and that’s really at the core of the best of what this book has to offer.Music Week gave "Born Slippy .NUXX" five out of five in 1996, describing it as "an anthem for a generation". [8] AllMusic wrote that it was "simply one of the best slices of electronica one will find. Musically austere in its emotional textures, the song becomes a nearly unstoppable force ... Dance music is rarely so artistic and enjoyable in the same instance." [9] In 2017, Vice described "Born Slippy .NUXX" as one of the 90s' most iconic songs, [3] writing that it "mixed sublime synths with a four-to-the-floor freakout, and represented everything that was going on; it was new." [3] Listinn Topp 40 (20.7. – 26.7. '96)". Dagblaðið Vísir (in Icelandic). 20 July 1996. p.42 . Retrieved 2 October 2019.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment