276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Sensor

£8.265£16.53Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Ito’s afterword (that he says he had to write - this entire book feels like he’s just filling space/meeting his obligations, rather than doing something he really wants) is quite revealing. He mentions that he started with a rough structure and then abandoned it to basically freestyle the rest of the book. And it shows! It’s almost like he knows it’s a shambles and he’s apologising for how it turned out - “this is really the result of the bus driving away before everyone is on board.”

His longest work, the three-volume Uzumaki, is about a town's obsession with spirals: people become variously fascinated with, terrified of, and consumed by the countless occurrences of the spiral in nature. Apart from the ghastly, convincingly-drawn deaths, the book projects an effective atmosphere of creeping fear as the town's inhabitants become less and less human, and more and more bizarre things begin to happen. a b c Davidson, Danica (August 25, 2021). "Junji Ito's Sensor Is a Creepy Horror Manga with Sci-Fi Mixed In". Otaku USA . Retrieved December 22, 2021. A woman walks alone at the foot of Mount Sengoku. A man appears, saying he’s been waiting for her, and invites her to a nearby village. Surprisingly, the village is covered in hair-like volcanic glass fibers, and all of it shines a bright gold. At night, when the villagers perform their custom of gazing up at the starry sky, countless unidentified flying objects come raining down on them—the opening act for the terror is about to occur. I am the one who created the universe. I am its Great Creator. Well, more precisely I will become so.As with many of Itō’s books, Sensor has an episodic narrative. The previous book, Remina, had a much stronger narrative throughline, and one could argue that Sensor would have benefited from that. Itō himself admits that he had originally intended to write a travelogue of sorts, at first with Kyoko as the protagonist, but later changing his mind. Travelogue of the Succubus, as it was originally titled, refused to be contained by his “rough structure”. As such, chapters like ‘Angel Hair’, ‘Battle at Bishagaura’ and ‘Traffic Mirror’ could easily survive as standalones, with ‘Battle…’ being arguably the strongest chapter in the book. In this sense, the book’s structure falters. While the imagery and story remain compelling, the middle chapters struggle to justify their existence in the overarching narrative. However, they are not unwelcome additions to Kyoko’s story, and the book’s denouement lands powerfully despite them. Brown pointed out that one of Sensor’s characters, Yukio Kurodera, believes he has discovered life’s purpose. “Do you agree with his conclusion?” he asked Ito. “If not, what do you think the purpose of life is?”

Beveridge, Chris (October 5, 2021). "Top 20 Graphic Novels By Units & Dollars For September 2021". The Fandom Post . Retrieved December 22, 2021. La idea es buena, los elementos que tiene son llamativos, la historia alrededor del pueblo me ha parecido interesante, me recuerda mucho a otra historia del autor, en el que maneja muy bien este elemento de la historia alrededor de un pueblo, a diferencia de Sensor. Speelman, Tom (August 17, 2021). "Junji Ito does Lovecraft better than Lovecraft in Sensor". Polygon . Retrieved December 22, 2021. I would be remiss to not bring up your recent win at the Eisner Awards for Best Writer/Artist. It’s quite monumental because the award has never been given to a mangaka, and in the western comics industry the Eisners are a huge deal. Do you read many North American or European comics? The Bad Guy Wins: Mostly subverted. While Kagero does manage to become an Eldritch Abomination, Kyoko and Miguel become another god who he can never defeat and who will eventually overcome him.

Advance Praise

Loveridge, Lynzee (August 16, 2021). "Review: Sensor". Anime News Network . Retrieved December 22, 2021. The best of these is Chapter 4, "The Battle at Bishagaura." In it, Tsuchiyado follows Kyoko Byakuya to a village plagued by "suicide bugs," huge, bulbous, roach-like insects that leap under walking people's feet, as if they want to be squished. When stepped on, these bugs burst into a disgusting mess of fluid and organs that mysteriously resemble a crushed human. This story only vaguely relates to the others in Sensor, but it's easy to see why Ito would include it -- it's awful in the best way.

I had to write a thousand words for this afterword, so I went on and on there about things that didn't really need to be said."

Interest Stacks

Beveridge, Chris (September 2, 2021). "Top 20 Graphic Novels By Units & Dollars For August 2021". The Fandom Post . Retrieved December 22, 2021. Eldritch Abomination: A horrifying entity is glimpsed in a vision right before the town at the base of the mountain is destroyed. It's actually the cult leader Kagero Aido himself after he ascended to become some sort of dark deity. Driven to Suicide: One location in the story is a cliff known for suicides, so a family has set up an inn nearby to talk people down. The area is also plagued by hideous insects that jump under people's feet and resemble the bodies of previous suicide victims when squashed. Wataro Tsuchiyado gets a vision of Kyoko throwing herself off the cliff and goes to find her, but when it comes to pass, she does so to lead the suicide bugs off the cliff with her, and she survives the incident.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment