276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Flavour Thesaurus

£10£20.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Peter Smith (14 March 2011). "Good Books: Niki Segnit's Flavour Thesaurus". good.is. GOOD Worldwide Inc . Retrieved 23 February 2017. Certainly, there's room for more exploration of the molecular science of flavors, but this book represents a provocative, visual way to rethink the recipe. The plant-led follow-up to The Flavor Thesaurus, "a rich and witty and erudite collection" ( Epicurious), featuring 92 essential ingredients and hundreds of flavor combinations. Shortlist & Winners: 2010 Winners". bookawards.britishprint.com. British Printing Industries Federation, Oxford Brookes University, The Publishers Association . Retrieved 23 February 2017. Leung, Wency (23 November 2010). "A growing genre of cookbooks skips recipes and focuses on science". The Globe and Mail . Retrieved 23 February 2017. Light on step-by-step instructions and filled with food history and tidbits of science A couple of examples: the section called CHOCOLATE AND COCONUT features the author going on about her cigarette addiction. There is no connection. She goes through her addiction journey, childhood memories and the tasting notes of tobacco. I am genuinely unsure if this is a misplaced CHOCOLATE AND TOBACCO entry or if the author is making a connection to the 'addictive' flavor combo. Coconut is tossed in once or twice, enough to make it truly ambiguous.

I'm going to put my notes here. And probably do up a blog post. Needless to say, this is the type of book that I would tend to buy to help me generate ideas.PDF / EPUB File Name: The_Flavor_Thesaurus__A_Compendium_of_Pair_-_Niki_Segnit.pdf, The_Flavor_Thesaurus__A_Compendium_of_Pair_-_Niki_Segnit.epub I’ve told a dozen people who I know love to cook about this book now, and all of them have given me some version of the same stare, a You-Want-Me-to-Read-a-Book-About-Flavor Combinations? look that reminds me of the look a person might have on his face as he fills out the paperwork for taking out a mental illness warrant against you. Lezard, Nicholas (17 July 2010). "Books: The Flavour Thesaurus: Pairings, Recipes and Ideas for the Creative Cook by Niki Segnit". The Guardian . Retrieved 23 February 2017. The Flavor Thesaurus: A Compendium of Pairings, Recipes, and Ideas for the Creative Cook". kcls.bibliocommons.com . Retrieved 23 February 2017. Her intuitive approach produces a cozy collection of description, anecdotes, and recipes within the flavor combination entries. .. This handy little guide will be a wonderful addition for cooks trying to expand their repertoire.

With her debut cookbook, The Flavor Thesaurus, Niki Segnit taught readers that no matter whether an ingredient is “grassy” like dill, cucumber, or peas, or “floral fruity” like figs, roses, or blueberries, flavors can be created in wildly imaginative ways. Now, she again draws from her “phenomenal body of work” (Yotam Ottolenghi) to produce a new treasury of pairings-this time with plant-led ingredients. I’m only halfway into the second of sixteen sections and I already have so much to say (and the colorful post-its are taking over!). I only first heard of this book when they were coming out with the revised edition with the new cover. And it was SO PRETTY that it grabbed my attention right away. “The Flavor Thesaurus…” Hmm, sounds like a wonderful reference guide for explorations in the culinary frontier… and pretty too? I shall have it immediately. (My thoughts exactly.)In Pork & Broccoli, her descriptions could convince even the most staunch broccoli hater to give it another go. She references The Sopranos in Peanut & Vanilla while arguing the importance of giving someone Fluff when they ask for it. Sorry. I really wanted something that would guide me to understand patterns, create new templates, visualize & predict what's likely to work or not. But the author and I do not organize ideas in complementary ways, and we taste and eat very differently. I could not study the 'color wheel' as I could not process/ understand it, and I am not motivated to read all the fine print stories interspersed with the lists of pairings. It really is most akin to an American Heritage dictionary, in that it's mostly lists, with the odd illustration, chart, or usage note (but in the cookbook, those additions are just text).

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment