276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Mrs England: The award-winning Sunday Times bestseller from the winner of the Women's Prize Futures Award

£7.495£14.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

As the daughter of a librarian Jen's love of books started from a very early age. Her reading obsession continued throughout her teenage years when she studied both English Language and English Literature at college. Overall, I have to say the reason why I’m giving Mrs. England three stars is because of the author’s writing skill. If the quality of the writing had been a little worse, I would have stopped reading this story a long time ago. Ruby May graduated from Norland Institute, a nursing school in London, to take her first position as a nursemaid to an infant. I also enjoyed her depiction of West Yorkshire during this time period, and thought she captured a strong sense of place, the setting contrasting starkly with the earlier chapters set in London, and lending to the gothic atmosphere.

Mrs England by Stacey Halls | Waterstones

Lassan csordogáló történet, amihez apránként kapunk információt May dadus gyerekkoráról, családjáról. Ugyan akkor, így válik világossá miért olyan Mrs. England, mint amilyen. Mire a könyv végére érünk minden kiderül. De az olvasó képzeletére van bízva, kinek milyen irányba fordul az élete. Simmering with slow-burning menace, Mrs England is a portrait of an Edwardian marriage, weaving an enthralling story of men and women, power and control, courage, truth and the very darkest deception. Set against the atmospheric landscape of West Yorkshire, Stacey Halls’ third novel proves her one of the most exciting and compelling new storytellers of our times. Review Halls shows genuine skill in building the sense of menace within the England household and in the unfolding of its secrets. ― Sunday Times Spoilers: There would have been a great storyline had Nurse May actually fallen deeper for Mr Booth, who had just married and was expecting a child with another woman, which at one point I was sure that’s where it was heading, that unfortunately ended abruptly. Pian piano, giorno dopo giorno, Ruby si ambienta, scoprendo piccoli dettagli e interrogandosi sul non detto che riesce a percepire, anche attraverso incontri casuali e sprazzi di conversazione.Her first position did not last long because she couldn't leave England for America with this family. The school found her another position at the remote Hardcastle House taking care of the four children of Mr. and Mrs. England. Why did Decca have Nurse May’s glove at the end of the book? Had she found it near Mr England’s body?

Mrs. England · Stacey Halls · Könyv · Moly Mrs. England · Stacey Halls · Könyv · Moly

My first book from Stacey Halls, I did overall enjoy this Edwardian era mystery, which had a strong sense of the gothic about it. Indeed, I think the sense of atmosphere and foreboding that Halls managed to capture was the book's greatest strength, as almost as soon as Ruby arrives at Hardcastle House there is that feeling of something being not quite right beneath the surface, which only builds as the novel continues. Precíz és a múltat felidéző prózájával Stacey Halls sokkoló, lenyűgöző és teljes mértékben valós világot varázsol elénk. Elejétől a végéig fogva tartott.” – Joanna Glen, a The Other Half of Augusta Hope Costa-díjra jelölt szerzőjeI read because books are a form of transportation, of teaching, and of connection! Books take us to places we’ve never been, they teach us about our world, and they help us to understand human experience.” The rest of the characters are pretty basic minor characters. Relatively one-dimensional, very predictable and for the most part not well developed or thought through. The staff at Hardcastle House was not welcoming, and Ruby had to do many things she hadn't done in her first position.

Mrs England by Stacey Halls | Waterstones Mrs England by Stacey Halls | Waterstones

For a holiday in Greece without leaving home, the Charmian Clift reissues couldn’t have come at a better time. Eclipsed in her lifetime by her writer husband George Johnston and forever after by her connection to Leonard Cohen (whose talent the couple fostered in the 1960s on Hydra), she makes the best travelling companion. In Mermaid Singing she describes her family’s first year in Greece, on the then impoverished sponge-fishing island of Kalymnos, and in Peel Me a Lotus she charts, with acid wit and moments of brilliant existential clarity, the infancy of a bohemian community before mass tourism changed the islands for ever. When Ruby May takes on the position of nurse to the England children of Hardcastle House in Yorkshire, she finds herself puzzled by Mrs England whilst drawn to the Master of the house. Yet slowly she discovers that all is not as it seems! Certainly this is a slow-burn novel, and yet whilst there were chapters where not very much actually happened, I found myself enjoying the small details and interactions between the characters, which I think is credit to the author. and when the eventual film adaptation comes i want keeley hawes as mrs england, morgan spector as mr england (i cannot find it in myself to care that he’s american), and millie bobby brown as nurse may. i did not picture anyone else but them when reading this or hear anyone else’s voices but theirs. i’m no casting director, but the roles are theirs. In 1904, Ruby May is looking for a fresh start and accepts a position in Yorkshire as a children’s nurse for the Englands, a wealthy couple who live in the isolated Hardcastle House. Although she builds a connection with the three children, something doesn’t seem quite right with the servants or between Mr. and Mrs. England. My Thoughts:Do I just happen to be one of the few, who feel unimpressed by Mrs. England? Or did I miss something?

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment