276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Toys Galore

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

In Lessons 7-8, students will listen to the remaining sections of Toys Galore, learning vocabulary to describe the actions we can take with toys and adding those words to the Toys and Play Word Wall. Students will use their growing understanding and vocabulary as they make detailed drawings of classroom toys. One of my pet peeves in children's literature is books written in clunky, forced rhyme. Usually about halfway through reading those books out loud, I will stop and just tell the story in prose. I read Toys Galore out loud, all the way through, and using the original text. Remind students that they played a game in the previous lesson called Would You Prefer? in which they decided what they preferred when given a few choices.

For ELLs: For students who may need additional support describing toys in English, allow them to practice in their home languages. Example: "This task may be very difficult. To make it easier, you can take two minutes to describe toys with a partner who shares your home language. Then we can share in English."Ask students to pair up with their conversation partner. Explain that partner B should go first this time. Remind them to make a bridge with their arms to signal when both partners have shared. As the capital of Scotland, Edinburgh is particularly famous for its castle, the Hogmanay Street Party and the annual Fringe Festival. As well as the city's history and culture however, Edinburgh is a hugely popular shopping destination with a good selection of pram, baby and toy shops.

Encourage students to use a sentence frame: "I prefer _______ because ______" or "I like ______ best because ______." Tell them that over the next several lessons, they are going to practice using words and pictures to describe classroom toys. Tell them that to describe a classroom toy, they need to include a lot of details, which will require closely examining the toys. You’ll find everything from locally-grown, organic vegetables and other store cupboard essentials at Dig In, to an enormous selection of local and international cheeses at IJ Mellis. Tell students that there are a lot of ways we can play with toys and that in Toys Galore, the author uses lots of interesting words and phrases to show ways we can play with toys. Tell students that to build their play expertise, they will find words that describe the ways we can play with toys. Explain that it will be their job to listen for these words as you read Toys Galore. Tell them you will stop from time to time to let them share the words they hear.

Some ELLs may find Toys Galore challenging, as it contains a lot of new vocabulary. The design of the lesson includes plenty of opportunities for comprehension through movement. It may benefit some students to return to these opportunities for movement as they interact with realia.

I received this product free for the purpose of reviewing it. I received no other compensation for this review. The opinions expressed in this review are my personal, honest opinions. Your experience may vary. Please read my full disclosure policy for more details. This lesson builds upon students' knowledge and understanding of the attributes of various classroom toys. During Work Time C, as students draw classroom toys and label those drawings, they rely on their growing vocabulary of descriptive language.

If you're the owner of this website, please contact your hosting provider to get this resolved.

Off the top of my head, I can think of three authors worth studying for learning how to write in rhyme for children's books: Karma Wilson, Jane Yolen and Peter Stein. Karma Wilson and Jane Yolen excel at regular metered rhyme; Peter Stein is also very good at it, too, but he is also very good at breaking up the meter, which is useful for longer stories in rhyme. Toys Galore is way fun to read out loud. Set up a document camera to display Toys Galore and other documents throughout the lesson (optional). During Closing and Assessment A, before providing sentence frames or additional support, observe student interaction as they share with one another and allow students to grapple. Provide supportive frames and demonstrations only after students have grappled with the task. Observe the areas in which they struggle to target appropriate support. Explain that stretch means to pull something and make it longer and thinner. Place the Word Wall card and picture for stretch on the Toys and Play Word Wall. What does the word prefer mean? What does it mean to prefer something?" (to like one thing more than something else)

Previously we've enjoyed Cars Galore as a board book, so I was eager when I heard that Peter Stein was writing a new picture book entitled Toys Galore. Just like Cars Galore, Toys Galore is also a fun and funky book! Tell students that they will listen to another section of the text in the next lesson and keep searching for words that show the ways we play with toys. Place the Word Wall cards and pictures for sculpt, squeeze, and squish on the Toys and Play Word Wall. This lesson is the first in a series of focused read-aloud sessions using Toys Galore. These sessions support students as they acquire vocabulary to help describe the ways toys are played with. Focused read-aloud sessions differ from close read-aloud sessions in that they do not dive as deeply into a text, yet still carry a clear, standards-based purpose for examining the text.Whatever the reason, Barbara Carrella, a certified sexologist and author of Urban Tantra: Sacred Sex for the Twenty-First Century, says a DIY sex toy (which she calls a pervertible) is never far: “Pervertibles are every day, non-erotic items that can be easily converted into sex toys. They can be found absolutely everywhere, and once you start finding them, it’s hard to stop seeing the erotic potential in all sorts of everyday items.” During Work Time C, students draw and describe a classroom toy, using the rich vocabulary they have learned by way of the various attribute anchor charts. This activity presents teachers with an informal assessment of students' descriptive language skills to this point ( W.K.2, L.K.5c, L.K.6). Here, the author writes about bouncing a ball and stretching goo. I can see the pictures show someone bouncing the ball on the ground and someone stretching goo out into long and thin pieces." For ELLs: To scaffold active listening for key details, distribute word/picture cards for the Word Wall to a few students before the read-aloud. Tell them to listen for these special words and to raise their hands when they recognize them in the text. Allow students to help place the words on the Toys and Play Word Wall as each arises in the text. (MMAE) For ELLs: Introduce a physical activity to illustrate the action of choosing. Example: Hold up the preference cards for chocolate and vanilla. Invite a student to the board to choose one. The student may take the card she chooses, but only after she says, "I prefer _______."

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment