276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Poverty Safari: Understanding the Anger of Britain's Underclass

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

However, a book, and especially a non-fiction work such as Poverty Safari, cannot be considered on the style of its writing alone, and it is unfortunately in its structure and in some of its content that this book falls slightly short.

Poverty Safari — Luath Press Poverty Safari — Luath Press

As such, he is not interested in carping on about easy targets, such as Evil Tories or neoliberalism, and his approach is all the more valuable for that. The book is divided into 32 short chapters, self-deprecatingly described by McGarvey as a “series of loosely connected rants that give the appearance of a book” (p.The points made about the importance of listening other peoples point of view were worth making too. Also like Orwell, McGarvey is not afraid to take on the Left and find credit where it is due in would-be opponents, whilst riling against the theft of personal agency characteristic on this side of the political divide.

Poverty Safari Summary of Key Ideas and Review - Blinkist Poverty Safari Summary of Key Ideas and Review - Blinkist

But the real beauty in the book is the analysis of his life, his community, the society he grew up in, politics, the charitable sector, and ultimately his willingness to change his views as he carried out this analysis. It’s perhaps because of these expectations that I came away from the book feeling a little disappointed. Brexit Britain is a snapshot of how things sound when people who are rarely heard decide to grab the microphone and start telling everybody how it is. McGarvey has a lot of great things to say about the “poverty industry”; the dangers of centralized bureaucracy; hypocrisy among the left; the class divide; the sense of powerlessness of the working classes; not to mention his honest reflections on his own resentment, sense of victimhood, hypocrisy and personal change.While I might not have been poor, I've felt helpless and frustrated and unsure why I couldn't change my situation. To dismiss all of that, to say that people in poverty need to try harder and stop blaming structural reasons for their predicament is quite frankly offensive to me. Darren McGarvey aka Loki gives voice to their feelings and concerns, and the anger that is spilling over. Society remains divided according to income and the associated variables of employment and education.

Poverty safari: understanding the anger of Book review - Poverty safari: understanding the anger of

McGarvey is rarely the type of voice that gets to be taken seriously in the mainstream media, the closest you would get, would be the likes of Irvine Welsh, James Kelman or Tom Leonard.

It is a personal memoir about deprivation, abuse, violence, addiction, family breakdown, neglect and social isolation.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment