276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Mr Norris Changes Trains: Christopher Isherwood (Vintage classics)

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Fryer, Jonathan (1977). Isherwood: A Biography. Garden City, NY, Doubleday & Company. ISBN 0-385-12608-5. Then I laughed outright. We both laughed. At that moment I could have embraced him. We had referred to the thing at last, and our relief was so great that we were like two people who have just made a mutual declaration of love. With W.H. Auden he wrote three plays— The Dog Beneath the Skin (1932), The Ascent of F6 (1936), and On the Frontier (1938). Isherwood tells the story in his first autobiography, Lions and Shadows. What the Berlin stories retain, to a unique degree, is the ability to tell us what it really felt like then - to feel involved with the Germans and still to find that they retained their mystery; to be in the mode, yes, of a camera, and yet to be furiously, hopelessly involved James Fenton

Norris Trains by Christopher Isherwood - AbeBooks Norris Trains by Christopher Isherwood - AbeBooks

Yes, Bayer and the communists are painted in favorable hues, but to insist, no work is perfect and therefore this is something to limit the ecstatic pleasure of reading about Norris and the rest, and deny that their profiles could be so damn [positive in reality…come to think of it, Christopher Isherwood himself does not embrace the red propaganda, after all, he would choose to live in…California, and not somewhere in the glorious tundra of the Siberian paradise – by the way, they have recorded a temperature of 38 degrees Celsius last year, the highest ever within the Arctic circle for those Trump deplorables that believe this is a hoax and their Chosen one will have solutions for this and any other ailment, such as the already proven cure for the Covid virus, drinking disinfectant and/or taking medicine for…horses

It´s not that easy to make a lasting impression as a writer in your threadbare clothes and old shoes, when your last (and only) novel sold just 5 copies. Isherwood wrote the above quote in the forward to a book by Gerald Hamilton aptly called Mr. Norris and I that was published in 1956. Isherwood based the character of Mr. Norris on his friend Gerald Hamilton. Isherwood was being hard on himself. He originally went to Berlin in the 1930s to experience the deviant sexual lifestyle that was available to a young Englishman in search of expressing his sexual preferences, preferences that may have been considered deviant in the community he grew up in. In 1935 when this book was published very few people knew just how horrible things would become and those that could imagine some of it could not imagine the worst of it. The scenes with Chris, Peter and Otto on the island were truly inspired. Ah, Otto. Who hasn't known an Otto? He's a taker. But then Peter is a user too, isn't he, in his own way? I mean in the end, you get what you pay for. Perhaps if Peter had been more of a man and less of a fishwife...but this was always going to be a short lived relationship.

Mr Norris Changes Trains - Christopher Isherwood - Google Books Mr Norris Changes Trains - Christopher Isherwood - Google Books

After Isherwood wrote joke answers on his second-year exams, Cambridge University in 1925 asked him to leave. He briefly attended medical school and progressed with his first two novels, All the Conspirators (1928) and The Memorial (1932). In 1930, he moved to Berlin, where he taught English, dabbled in Communism, and enthusiastically explored his homosexuality. His experiences provided the material for Mister Norris Changes Trains (1935) and Goodbye to Berlin (1938), still his most famous book. And the observations are nothing but sublime. The everyday life in all layers of society, the growing political tension and the dekadence Berlin was then known for. Eventually, Isherwood makes his disdain for the Nazis, and for the sleepwalking Germans who chose not to oppose them, a little more obvious. He waxes regretfully poetic about the violence of the SA, and the way the whispers about that violence were drowned out by the propaganda machine. He also writes effectively about the unspoken fear.William ha lasciato l’Inghilterra per allontanarsi dalla famiglia e vivere l’avventura. Si può dire che la trova: locali notturni, teatro e cabaret, il nazismo che dilaga inquietante, cene al ristorante bevendo champagne, ma anche birrerie, una misteriosa dame francese (Margot), complotti e ricatti, aristocratici omosessuali, pedinamenti, retate, omicidi, e dopo l’incendio del Reichstag, meglio tornare a casa.

Mr Norris Changes Trains - Penguin Books UK

urn:lcp:mrnorrischangest0000ishe:epub:e7e62b5e-1328-492a-befd-4da5b353c2dd Foldoutcount 0 Identifier mrnorrischangest0000ishe Identifier-ark ark:/13960/t6941xr7d Invoice 1652 Isbn 0749386819 Ocr tesseract 5.0.0-alpha-20201231-10-g1236 Ocr_detected_lang en Ocr_detected_lang_conf 1.0000 Ocr_detected_script Latin Ocr_detected_script_conf 0.9794 Ocr_module_version 0.0.13 Ocr_parameters -l eng Old_pallet IA-NS-2000244 Openlibrary_edition The final diary entries deftly capture the sense of foreboding and dread as Berlin became the epicentre of a political earthquake that precipitated the Second World War. The descriptions of driving through Berlin with the doomed Weimar police chief, the workers taking to the streets singing The International, and the author's smiling reflection in a shop window are the work of writer of genius. If I were Chris, I wouldn’t beat myself about it so much. His descriptions of the state of the decaying German society were powerful. And I felt the sense of impending doom. (Although it was maybe because I knew how it all escalated). Anyway, he wouldn’t be the only one to dismiss the seriousness of the situation. How do you think Chamberlain felt? Far less successful is how the British author writes about Mr Norris' business between Paris and Berlin: plotting and intrigues are definitely something Graham Greene is more apt to work on than his compatriot. Isherwood tries to tell us more about German communists but he somehow fails to be very convincing in that respect.Sally gave me the most fatuous grin: ‘I know, darling...But it makes me feel so marvellously sensual….’”

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment