276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Colder War: How the Global Energy Trade Slipped from America's Grasp

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Thirdly, I do not fault the author's attention toward Putin, as a matter of fact, that was the most fascinating aspect to this book. Russia has always been a fascination to me as a student of history. Marin Katusa draws out details about the man which I was completely unaware of and sheds additional light on those aspects with which I am already familiar. With an attempt to describe and explain events over more than half a century of modern history, it is no surprise that this book leaves me with an aching head a sense of the messy complexity of the recent past. But in some sense I find that reassuring. I knew nothing about the Cold War before reading this book, and if I came away from it feeling like I understood it, I would probably have arrived at the wrong approach and incorrect conclusions.

New Cthulhu: The Recent Weird edited by Paula Guran". Prime Books. Archived from the original on 7 October 2011 . Retrieved 30 August 2011. US president John Kennedy had not been murdered and, instead, continued to build upon the effort begun with Soviet leader Khrushchev towards limiting the nuclear arms race and beginning disarmament, the subsequent relationship between the United States and Russia might have evolved into a workable partnership. Perhaps the most surprising interpretation in the book is the world-historical centrality it assigns to the Portuguese Revolution of 1974, not a moment normally treated as one of the hinges of history. But, according to Westad, the Portuguese rejection of Salazar had two signal effects. A enjoyable and well constructed spy thriller from Charles Cumming with the story and action nicely paced but never too fast or loose to make it unbelievable.

News from Moscowis a social and cultural history of Soviet journalism after World War II. Focusing on the youth newspaper Komsomol’skaia Pravda, the study draws on transcripts of behind-the-scenes editorial meetings to chart the changing professional ethos of the Soviet journalist. The author wanted to make a pathbreaking claim about something which is happening right under our noses but we're ignoring at our own peril. Something like a gray rhino. This was a Spy Thriller. I liked Kell, the MC. He is a solid normal guy who isn't portrayed as a god, which is often a common portrayal in this genre.

How the massive power shift in Russia threatens the political dominance of the United States There is a new cold war underway, driven by a massive geopolitical power shift to Russia that went almost unnoticed across the globe. In The Colder War: How the Global Energy Trade Slipped from America's Grasp, energy expert Marin Katusa takes a look at the ways the western world is losing control of the energy market, and what can be done about it. Worst of all, a lot of the writing is simply weak. Here is just one brief glaring example: the last paragraph of the chapter on JFK (“Kennedy’s Contingencies”) starts out “Were the Berlin and Cuban crises Cold War watersheds? Some say they were:”. Who says so? Why no footnotes to related scholarship? Why is the rest of the paragraph so vague (and again, without footnotes)? The last sentence asserts “During Kennedy’s time in office, the Cold War was becoming truly global, and the burdens it put on the material and mental resources of its main protagonists increased relentlessly”, after little supporting argument for these points during the preceding chapter. It’s not that the assertion is wrong, it’s just made in a way that doesn’t convince. There are also innumerable awkward turns of phrase, such as “mental resources” here, a sign the book needed much tighter proofreading and editing. The overall effect of this vague and awkward style does not completely cloud the overall meaning, but it does greatly reduce the reader’s enjoyment, turning a long historical journey into a slog.The writing style in in keeping with the kind of story: Simple, straighforward manner even when it comes to drawing out the complexities of the characters. The love-hate relationship between the MI-6 and CIA is an interesting dimension. Cumming knows his stuff well.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment