276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Snow Girl: The nail-biting thriller behind the Netflix Original Series!

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Mabel and Jack always wanted a child, but after suffering a miscarriage, they begin to lose hope of ever conceiving.

The snow girl: who wrote it, what it is about and adaptations The snow girl: who wrote it, what it is about and adaptations

This intriguing novel weaves together the stories of three seemingly disparate characters to create a rich tapestry of mystery, myth and adventure. The couple are slowly moving apart, and Mabel is on the verge of suicide when, in one blustery night of mad gaiety they a fashion a girl out of snow in front of their cabin.when i was about one hundred pages from the end of this book, i tugged on greg's sleeve at work, and said, "is this gonna end sad? And I must say, the skill with which Ivey works your emotions--ebbing and flowing like tides with each of Faina's heartbreaking disappearances--belies the fact this is her first book. The next morning, the snow has melted and Jack glimpses a figure with yellow hair and a red scarf, dashing through the trees.

The Snow Girl Based on a True Story? Is Netflix’s The Snow Girl Based on a True Story?

More than anything, Mabel desired to have a child, defining herself through the view of motherhood - but all she and Jack have is the memory of a tiny deformed stillborn, the one that Mabel hasn't even had a chance to say goodbye to as Jack (with the best intentions, sadly) quickly took it away for a silent nighttime burial. There is a special kind of emptiness in a marriage, when both the partners long for a child without success. Then one night they decide to tuck their loneliness away and venture outside and play as if they were children themselves. Originally titled ‘La Chica de Nieve,’ Netflix’s Spanish series‘The Snow Girl’ revolves around the disappearance of Amaya Martín, the daughter of Ana and Álvaro. Spain continues to develop new shows for the international market, and Netflix has been pivotal in making the European country, an incredible pool of talent to pull from.It is the kind of novel that I sometimes have trouble with, the kind not concerned with action or drama, but more subdued and subtle. Mabel was a well-educated, sheltered girl, but when she and Jack lost their baby and have had none since, she urged him to make the change. And here they are, in Alaska, still grieving, still drifting apart, Mabel suicidal in her depression, Jack preoccupied with simply trying to provide sustenance to his family, and things have never looked bleaker for the two of them. Ivey’s story is both captivating and chilling to the core as the reader sees just how precarious life can be and the fragility of familial bonds.

The Snow Girl - Kindle edition by Castillo, Javier, Scott The Snow Girl - Kindle edition by Castillo, Javier, Scott

The Snow Girl has become a global phenomenon both in print and on screen, and it’s not hard to see why. The synopsis goes on: “Kiera went missing amongst the crowds of the Thanksgiving Day Parade in 1998 and hasn’t been seen since – until a video arrives with her parents, on her eighth birthday. Eventually the isolation, Jack’s troubles trying to farm, and their dwindling finances finally grind Mabel down, not to a fine dust, but to a state of despair. He tries to allow all aspects of a film to get into his reviews: from the actors, the direction, the storytelling, and its mechanics, the sound, music, and the cinematography. The performances are weird, but Milena Smit comes out on top as the most consistent performer, and thus, her characters serve as a good point of view from which to experience the entire story.Leaving us questioning the mysteries surrounding this so real story that had us hovering between reality and fantasy. And it is that, unlike with other books, this one in particular was not going to be part of any saga, so we are talking about a book with a beginning and an end, without more. At the end, I found myself believing Jack, Mabel, Faina and the cast of supportive neighbors--pragmatic George, boisterous Esther and their helpful wide-eyed son Garrett--really existed somewhere, somehow. Commissioning editor Grace Long secured UK and Commonwealth rights to The Snow Girl and a second book, The Soul Game, from María Reina de la Puebla at Penguin Random House Spain.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment