276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Synology DS1621+ NAS Server

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

And finally, the servers have a PCIe slot for an add-on card. In this case, you can use it to add 10Gbps connectivity to the servers -- another must if you're into Multi-Gig. PCIe add-in cards, expansion units, and storage drives are sold separately. Refer to the compatibility list for compatible devices. The actual performance may be lower than lab testing figure due to differences in server configuration, deployment, and the number of active operations.

After that, you can install them via the slot on the server's underside. The process is easy and painless. All you need is a small Philip-head screwdriver. Synology DS1821+: SSD caching upgradeMore caution is needed when selecting a 10GbE adapter, however, as Synology is rapidly shrinking its third-party hardware compatibility list and focusing more on its own solutions. When we installed the same Emulex dual-port 10GbE adapter we’d used to test the DS1618+, the DS1621+ hung during the boot phase and would only accept a dual-port Intel X520 10GbE adapter. Synology DiskStation DS1621+ review: 10GbE performance And that worked with all the upgrades, too. In my case, I tried the migration with all the parts mentioned above installed on the DS1621+ then moved them, together with the hard drives, to the DS1821+.

The DS1621+ has a PCIe slot, which supports a range of 10GbE networking cards. (Image credit: Future) Performance figures are obtained from testing conducted with the device fully populated with drives under a continuous recording setup. Actual system capabilities may vary based on configuration, drive performance, enabled features, and the presence of additional workloads. Usable capacity for each volume will be lower than the maximum volume size and is dependent on the filesystem and the amount of system metadata stored. The DS1621+is pretty efficient (we peaked at 77 watts with drives, but mostly used under 40 watts) so the fans did not have to work too hard, but a decent drive amount of noise escapes the NAS.Synology SNV3400 series M.2 NVMe SSD drives can be installed through the built-in M.2 slots to enable SSD caching or create SSD storage pools. Drives are sold separately. By the way, you should only cache a hard drive volume. If you use SATA SSDs for storage, caching is unnecessary. On top of that, if you decide to cache, it's also a better idea to upgrade the server's network to 10Gbps -- more below -- or at least use its Link Aggregation feature to get a 2Gbps connection out of its two Gigabit ports. Measures temperatures from –55°C to +125°C in 0.5°C increments. Fahrenheit equivalent is –67°F to 257°F in 0.9°F increments

As I mentioned in the review of the DS1621+, in most cases, SSD caching upgrade is unnecessary and won't increase the server's general copy speeds. With that, let's proceed with the upgrade. For this post, I did the upgrades on a DS1821+, but the processes and parts are the same on a DS1621+. Synology DS1821+: RAM upgrade I’ve used this 1821+ since the review, TC. and it’s been quiet. But, that depends on your expectations, it’s not silent. ReplyFor my case, though, I used the first option for my DS1821+ and the third for my DS1621+ -- two ports are always better than one. But no matter which card you get, the installation is the same. Extra: Synology DS1621+ to DS1821+ in-place upgrade

SMB1 (CIFS), SMB2, SMB3, NFSv3, NFSv4, NFSv4.1, NFS Kerberized sessions, iSCSI, HTTP, HTTPs, FTP, SNMP, LDAP, CalDAV

The performance you need

Inside the classic Synology chassis is a rarely seen Ryzen CPU. (Image credit: Future) Synology DS1621+ price and availability The figures are based on Synology internal testing. Each performance test is done individually. No other services or applications are processed at the same time. Performance figures are obtained through SMB sequential throughput tests using Windows Server 2016 Datacenter on a If you're using the DS1621+ and want to upgrade to the DS1821+ to take advantage of the two extra drive bays, the process is the same as when you migrate from one Synology server to another.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment