276°
Posted 20 hours ago

First, We Make the Beast Beautiful: A new story about anxiety

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Misleading - lots of timeline errors... she has a car, is a nomad, doesn't drive, drives a car, doesn't own anything. Sarah’s story provides great insight into what I see people experiencing every day […] She recognizes that the road to wellness is about embracing and living a life aligned to our values. Dr. Jodie Lowinger I applaud her bravery and honesty as some aspects of the book are very hard to read. Evisceratingly honest, one might say. Some of her ideas, and approaches and themes about anxiety's manifestations and how to manage and even live with it are excellent and I think will be (largely) helpful to many readers.

First, We Make the Beast Beautiful by Sarah Wilson - Waterstones

Here’s a full reading listof great anxiety books by mindful types, which I hope many of you will enjoy and find useful. I’ve written a full list of science and source endnotes from my book that you might enjoy nerding up on, you can find them here. There’s a book club guide But dear lord it is badly written. I understand that the meandering structure is probably intended to mirror her journey to some extent, but it is sometimes a real struggle to follow her threads, internally inconsistent, has a severe over use of !!!!! and Sentences like 'But still.' or 'Do you understand where I am coming from?' Sarah pulls at the thread of accepted definitions of anxiety, and unravels the notion that it is a difficult, dangerous disease that must be medicated into submission. Ultimately, she re-frames anxiety as a spiritual quest rather than a burdensome affliction, a state of yearning that will lead us closer to what really matters. It took almost two years to write this book. During this time I flitted between nine countries and moved house seven times. Anxiety spirals delayed the process regularly.In first, we make the beast beautiful, Sarah directs her intense focus and fierce investigatory skills onto this lifetime companion of hers, looking at the triggers and treatments, the fashions and fads. She reads widely and interviews fellow sufferers, mental health experts, philosophers, and the Dalai Lama, processing all she learns through the prism of her own experiences.

First, We Make the Beast Beautiful by Sarah Wilson - Waterstones First, We Make the Beast Beautiful by Sarah Wilson - Waterstones

It reads like a mishmash of teenage diary, pseudo pop science, random thoughts about stuff and life, snippets of quotes from key thinkers on the topic and modern day confessional. If this grabs you then go for it.

The title is derived from a Chinese proverb I came across about twenty years ago in psychiatrist and bipolar sufferer Kay Redfield Jamison’s memoir An Unquiet Mind. This is more of a 'I've been there' type of book, more of a memoire actually offering first hand experience for enduring anxiety as an integral part of your life, if you're looking for a thesis or a self help book for anxiety then this is not the book for you.

Sarah Wilson Home - Sarah Wilson

First, we make the beast beautifulwas published on February 28th, 2017 (Pan Macmillan Australia) and April 24, 2018 (US, Harper Collins) and is now published worldwide, in South Korean, Lithuanian and French. Where to buy the book Through her research and personal experiences, Wilson shares the best, and the worst, of the treatments and latest scientific advances. Even though we don't have the treatments for anxiety nailed down yet, it helps to know that sufferers are not alone in their struggles. Sarah Wilson first came across this Chinese proverb in psychiatrist Kay Redfield Jamison's memoir An Unquiet Mind, and it became the key to understanding her own lifelong struggle with anxiety. Wilson, bestselling author, journalist, and entrepreneur has helped over 1.5 million people worldwide to live better, healthier lives through her I Quit Sugar books and program. And all along, she has been managing chronic anxiety. This book is a combination of self-help and memoir as TV personality and author, Sarah Wilson relives her own struggles with anxiety. Unfortunately, whilst we share a first name, Sarah and I do not share a large portion of our anxiety and how we manage it.Despite my second point, one thing is clear: this book needed to be two. A more scientific approach and the second being a memoir. The cross between the two was hard to follow. During this time, I flitted between nine countries, moved house seven times, attempted suicide twice, restructured my business and fell in love with a man...” loc 4943

First, We Make the Beast Beautiful: A New Story About Anxiety

Anxiety is a very lonely condition but I feel like there’s a yearning out there to connect over it,” Wilson says. The things Wilson struggled with...it's like she wrote the book just for me. I read paragraph after paragraph and would often stop and think, "I always believed I was the only one who thought that!" To find out someone "out there" has the very same odd thoughts as me is enormously reassuring and gives me hope. First, We Make the Beast Beautiful is a book with a big heart, paving the way for richer, kinder and wiser conversations about anxiety.To be honest, this book made me irritated because it made me feel like I was failing because I can’t manage my life in similar ways to her. This reaction isn’t all me and it was heavily influenced by the way she chose to structure and write this book. She made it seem that if you couldn’t follow her easy to manage suggestions then you aren’t trying hard enough to manage anxiety and you almost deserve your situation. Practical and poetic, wise and funny, this is a small book with a big heart. It will encourage the myriad sufferers of the world’s most common mental illness to feel not just better about their condition, but delighted by the possibilities it offers for a richer, fuller life. Perhaps it’s not about striving to free ourselves from anxiety, it’s learning to stop ourselves from fleeing from it: learning to stop ourselves from distractions and constantly searching outside of ourselves on a never-ending quest for something to fulfil us or make our restlessness go away. Perhaps, instead, we should just sit still, resist the urge to flee, and listen. Only then can we get closer to ourselves. Wilson is still rolling with the punches. The book doesn’t sugarcoat life with anxiety, and its final chapters deal with Wilson suffering a miscarriage and a relationship breakup. She even notes, almost casually, that during the time she wrote the book, she attempted suicide twice.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment